proxying router or Squid? - Security

This is a discussion on proxying router or Squid? - Security ; I hear security people recommending using proxying routers instead of proxy software such as Squid. Is using such a router now preferable to using proxy software? Thanks. John Sandell...

  1. proxying router or Squid?

    I hear security people recommending using proxying routers instead of
    proxy software such as Squid.

    Is using such a router now preferable to using proxy software?

    Thanks.

    John Sandell

  2. Re: proxying router or Squid?

    In comp.os.linux.security John Sandell :

    > I hear security people recommending using proxying routers instead of
    > proxy software such as Squid.

    > Is using such a router now preferable to using proxy software?

    Could you elaborate what you have in mind? Sounds bogus, a router
    does route packets, a proxy like squid works on another network
    layer then routing takes place.

    #bofh excuse 444: overflow error in /dev/null

  3. Re: proxying router or Squid?

    Michael Heiming wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.security John Sandell :
    >
    >>I hear security people recommending using proxying routers instead of
    >>proxy software such as Squid.

    >>Is using such a router now preferable to using proxy software?

    > Could you elaborate what you have in mind? Sounds bogus, a router
    > does route packets, a proxy like squid works on another network
    > layer then routing takes place.

    So I've always thought... now I'm told that Cisco, among others, makes
    routers that replace proxy software...

    It's for a small Web site.

    John

  4. Re: proxying router or Squid?

    In comp.os.linux.security John Sandell :
    > Michael Heiming wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.security John Sandell :
    >>
    >>>I hear security people recommending using proxying routers instead of
    >>>proxy software such as Squid.

    >>>Is using such a router now preferable to using proxy software?

    >> Could you elaborate what you have in mind? Sounds bogus, a router
    >> does route packets, a proxy like squid works on another network
    >> layer then routing takes place.
    >>

    > So I've always thought... now I'm told that Cisco, among others, makes
    > routers that replace proxy software...

    You mean they can do NAT? This isn't a proxy like squid, it just
    connects clients directly to the outside.

    > It's for a small Web site.

    Why does it need a proxy, presuming reversed in front?

    #bofh excuse 265: The mouse escaped.

+ Reply to Thread