Joining Samba to a Windows Domain - Security

This is a discussion on Joining Samba to a Windows Domain - Security ; I just installed a Fedora Core 3, kernel 2.6 (actually 2.6.9-2.667, but hell, who's counting?) I am now completely unable to use samba. Previously, with the 2.4 kernel, after carefully configuring the smb.conf file, I joined the Windows active directory ...

  1. Joining Samba to a Windows Domain

    I just installed a Fedora Core 3, kernel 2.6 (actually 2.6.9-2.667, but
    hell, who's counting?)
    I am now completely unable to use samba.

    Previously, with the 2.4 kernel, after carefully configuring the
    smb.conf file, I joined the Windows active directory domain by saying:

    smbpasswd -j -r -Uadministrator

    the 2.4 kernel responded by asking for the admin password, and then it
    graciously gave all the allowed windows workstations access to the
    files on the Linux system as if they were on the PDC

    With the 2.6 kernel, smbpasswd no longer has the -j option.

    So how does one make the Linux box join the Windows domain????

    I have studied the net command, and experimented around with numerous
    suggestions found on the web, all to no avail.

    I have surfed the web to no avail, so I once again humbly beseech you
    all for wisdom about this new tribulation.

    Happy Holidays.
    - Frank

  2. Re: Joining Samba to a Windows Domain

    doc_rudolph wrote:
    > I just installed a Fedora Core 3, kernel 2.6 (actually 2.6.9-2.667, but
    > hell, who's counting?)
    > I am now completely unable to use samba.
    >
    > Previously, with the 2.4 kernel, after carefully configuring the
    > smb.conf file, I joined the Windows active directory domain by saying:
    >
    > smbpasswd -j -r -Uadministrator
    >
    > the 2.4 kernel responded by asking for the admin password, and then it
    > graciously gave all the allowed windows workstations access to the
    > files on the Linux system as if they were on the PDC
    >
    > With the 2.6 kernel, smbpasswd no longer has the -j option.
    >
    > So how does one make the Linux box join the Windows domain????
    >
    > I have studied the net command, and experimented around with numerous
    > suggestions found on the web, all to no avail.
    >
    > I have surfed the web to no avail, so I once again humbly beseech you
    > all for wisdom about this new tribulation.

    net ads join -W -S \
    -U

    net rpc join -W -S \
    -U

    That is what I use.

    Use the 'net ads' join for W2K ADS or higher.

    Make sure your smb.conf has things setup as well.

  3. Re: Joining Samba to a Windows Domain

    I tried this:
    net ads join -W -S -U

    Filling in the blanks:
    [root@localhost MasterController]# net ads join -Wbconcorp -Sbreakaway
    -UAdministrator
    Administrator's password:*****

    This did not work. Here is the error message:
    [2005/12/22 08:35:49, 0] libads/kerberos.c:ads_kinit_password(136)
    kerberos_kinit_password Administrator@BCONCORP.COM failed: Cannot
    find KDC
    for requested realm
    [2005/12/22 08:35:49, 0] utils/net_ads.c:ads_startup(186)
    ads_connect: Cannot find KDC for requested realm

    So I tried the minimalist version:

    [root@localhost MasterController]# net rpc join -Uadministrator
    Password:****
    Joined domain BCONCORP.

    This seemed really promising. The above APPEARED to work, but I still
    get the message:

    "Flywheel3 is not accessible
    Access Denied"

    when I try to browse the network neighborhood icon for the samba
    server, Flywheel3.

    Later, after the Windows domain refreshed itself, the message changed
    to:

    "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
    request"

    What exactly is the domain server looking for? Something on the Linux
    side or
    on the Windows side?

    Thanks - Frank

+ Reply to Thread