qmail freezed??? - Security

This is a discussion on qmail freezed??? - Security ; Hi, I have a problem with qmail. The email queue is always empty. When I send emails to my machine, they are not received and the queue is still empty. So qmail don't want neither to receive or to send ...

  1. qmail freezed???

    Hi,

    I have a problem with qmail.

    The email queue is always empty. When I send emails to my machine, they
    are not received and the queue is still empty.

    So qmail don't want neither to receive or to send emails.

    I tried also with apache:
    >From a php page I sent an email by the php mail fonction, and the email

    wasn't sent. The qmail log file (/var/log/qmail/current) is always
    empty.

    Please anyone can help me.

  2. Re: qmail freezed???

    In article <1134818733.584788.73360@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.c om>, gandoura_mehdi@yahoo.fr wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a problem with qmail.

    So do I. Its author declared it done and perfect several years
    ago, and stopped maintaining it. So there is now a collection
    of huge patches, maintained (or not) by volunteers, with no
    coordination. Qmail is missing one of the most important
    features of free software: organized bug fixing and maintenance.

    Qmail-1.03 works well enough, except for not being able
    to reject messages to bad addresses at RCPT TO time and
    thereby generating a lot of backscatter. (Not fixed in Netqmail-1.05)
    The documentation (manpages plus Dave Sill's great work) is good.
    But try to add a milter or SMTP AUTH and you're into a swamp of
    unverifiable patches, documented badly if at all.

    A mail transport agent is too important/dangerous to be
    maintained that way.

    (Imagine that the U of I had declared NCSA HTTPd done and perfect,
    and the work of the Apache Foundation was a copyright violation.
    Forking off the Apache Server, not allowed. You *could* search
    the net for defacto standard patches and install
    A Patchy Server, but it would be a mess. That's Qmail today.)

    > The email queue is always empty. When I send emails to my machine, they
    > are not received and the queue is still empty.
    >
    > So qmail don't want neither to receive or to send emails.

    Well you could telnet to your port 25 and see if it answers.
    If not, you could figure out what's listening to port 25
    instead of Qmail. Perhaps a command like

    lsof -i :25

    would tell you. (Roses and chocolates to the author of lsof
    for giving us EXAMPLES in the manpage! Go Boilermakers!)

    > I tried also with apache:
    >>From a php page I sent an email by the php mail fonction, and the email

    > wasn't sent. The qmail log file (/var/log/qmail/current) is always
    > empty.

    You could run your /var/qmail/bin/sendmail under strace(1)
    and see where it dies. Can you invoke /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject
    directly? If you feed it a message does it make it to the queue?
    Are you even using /var/qmail/bin/sendmail? Or is your
    /usr/lib/sendmail a symlink to the Exim or Sendmail that came
    with your OS distribution?

    BTW, you really shouldn't use PHP's mail() for anything
    important. Use something that lets you set the envelope-sender
    so you don't mailbomb your admin when something goes wrong.
    PHP's maintainers agree. mail() is only for sending yourself
    diagnostics while you're debugging. BBSes and weblogs and CMSes
    that use mail() in production are *broken*, and probably have
    more serious security problems, too.

    > Please anyone can help me.

    My advice is if you do not yet have a working Qmail install,
    you are in good shape to choose a mail transfer agent
    which is actively maintained. Postfix might be a good
    alternative. Its authors play well with others, so it
    is well maintained.

    Cameron

+ Reply to Thread