nmap *.*.*.* - Security

This is a discussion on nmap *.*.*.* - Security ; Could I get in trouble for running this command on a computer connected to the WAN: nmap *.*.*.* -T Paranoid I want to do this entirely out of curiosity. I don't want to do anything illegal. I'd just like to ...

  1. nmap *.*.*.*

    Could I get in trouble for running this command on a computer connected
    to the WAN:
    nmap *.*.*.* -T Paranoid
    I want to do this entirely out of curiosity. I don't want to do
    anything illegal. I'd just like to see what kinds of servers are out
    there and what daemons they are running. Do I need to use Paranoid
    timing policy, or could I use Sneaky or Normal? Should I exclude class
    A IP addresses so that I won't be scanning so many government
    computers? I know, of course, that this program would take months or
    more to finish executing; I wouldn't be expecting it to actually scan
    every port on every IP address out there.

    TIA

  2. Re: nmap *.*.*.*

    "DJ Craig" wrote in message
    news:1134424790.364017.304790@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com

    > Could I get in trouble for running this command on a computer
    > connected to the WAN:
    > nmap *.*.*.* -T Paranoid

    Why don't you first consider what the wildcards will expand to on the
    command line?

  3. Re: nmap *.*.*.*

    Thats true. But you know what I mean.

  4. Re: nmap *.*.*.*

    "DJ Craig" wrote in message
    news:1134429484.615251.87330@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com

    > Thats true. But you know what I mean.

    Please read, understand and follow the items presented in
    http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/ before posting to Usenet again.

  5. Re: nmap *.*.*.*

    DJ Craig wrote:
    > Could I get in trouble for running this command on a computer connected
    > to the WAN:
    > nmap *.*.*.* -T Paranoid
    > I want to do this entirely out of curiosity. I don't want to do
    > anything illegal. I'd just like to see what kinds of servers are out
    > there and what daemons they are running. Do I need to use Paranoid
    > timing policy, or could I use Sneaky or Normal? Should I exclude class
    > A IP addresses so that I won't be scanning so many government
    > computers? I know, of course, that this program would take months or
    > more to finish executing; I wouldn't be expecting it to actually scan
    > every port on every IP address out there.
    >
    > TIA

    No - because the command will bomb out because you have not supplied a
    valid hostname or subnet, instead you have supplied the filenames in the
    current directory.

  6. Re: nmap *.*.*.*

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:08:44 -0800, ynotssor wrote:

    > Please read, understand and follow the items presented in
    > http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/ before posting to Usenet again.

    Oh, please

    --

    Regards