platform specific attractiveness of targets - Security

This is a discussion on platform specific attractiveness of targets - Security ; Hi. We are from a research university in the US and are conducting research on computer system security breaches. We are following up on a previous post and would appreciate your thoughts. (Thanks to those who replied to the previous ...

  1. platform specific attractiveness of targets

    Hi. We are from a research university in the US and are conducting
    research on computer system security breaches. We are following up on
    a previous post and would appreciate your thoughts. (Thanks to those
    who replied to the previous similar post.)

    Our main question is what exactly makes one organization more
    attractive than another when an attacker is selecting "victims"? There
    may be many different motivations for an attack and we are interested
    in
    understanding the various dimensions that make an organization
    attractive.

    Are there any specific features of the the unix or linux operating
    systems that make it more or less attractive than another?

    We would appreciate any thoughts any of you have about
    this. Feel free to reply to the newsgroup or to my email directly at
    academic_investigation@yahoo.com.

    Morris

  2. Re: platform specific attractiveness of targets

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.security.unix.]
    Begin <1133977558.773447.149820@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>
    On 2005-12-07, academic_investigation@yahoo.com
    wrote:

    > Hi. We are from a research university in the US and are conducting
    > research on computer system security breaches.

    If you are, you could at least make the effort to post from an address
    associated to that .edu, instead of hiding behind a random free email
    address, usually associated with scams and other unsavoury things.