Cryptographic file system under linux that ACTUALLY WORKS - Security

This is a discussion on Cryptographic file system under linux that ACTUALLY WORKS - Security ; I am looking for a cryptographic file system for linux that actually works, for recent kernels. I am not looking for bull**** and vaporware. For years, several years ago, I used CFS and it was fantastic. It did precisely what ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Cryptographic file system under linux that ACTUALLY WORKS

  1. Cryptographic file system under linux that ACTUALLY WORKS

    I am looking for a cryptographic file system for linux that actually
    works, for recent kernels.

    I am not looking for bull**** and vaporware.

    For years, several years ago, I used CFS and it was fantastic. It did
    precisely what was needed and worked 100% reliably.

    Unfortunately, its code base is very old (9 years old), based on K&R C
    and does not compile with the new gcc.

    TCFS looks interesting, but I do not believe that it works for 2.6
    kernels. So it is out (unless I am mistaken).

    So, what is it that actually works? An NFS like program like CFS would be
    my best hope.

    Thanks!

    i


  2. Re: Cryptographic file system under linux that ACTUALLY WORKS

    I figured it out. I am now using dm-crypt, losetup, cryptsetup etc.

    http://www.saout.de/misc/dm-crypt/

    Seems to work so far.

    i

    On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 16:56:12 GMT, Ignoramus8325 wrote:
    > I am looking for a cryptographic file system for linux that actually
    > works, for recent kernels.
    >
    > I am not looking for bull**** and vaporware.
    >
    > For years, several years ago, I used CFS and it was fantastic. It did
    > precisely what was needed and worked 100% reliably.
    >
    > Unfortunately, its code base is very old (9 years old), based on K&R C
    > and does not compile with the new gcc.
    >
    > TCFS looks interesting, but I do not believe that it works for 2.6
    > kernels. So it is out (unless I am mistaken).
    >
    > So, what is it that actually works? An NFS like program like CFS would be
    > my best hope.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > i
    >



    --


  3. Re: Cryptographic file system under linux that ACTUALLY WORKS

    Yup.

    I was using it on my 1.4TB RAID. Works well. Drawback?
    - 32bit block counts, the maximum size is around 2TB

    Maybe new versions of the userland and kernel code fixes this.

    JLC

    In sci.crypt Ignoramus8325 wrote:
    > I figured it out. I am now using dm-crypt, losetup, cryptsetup etc.


    > http://www.saout.de/misc/dm-crypt/


    > Seems to work so far.


    > i


    > On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 16:56:12 GMT, Ignoramus8325 wrote:
    > > I am looking for a cryptographic file system for linux that actually
    > > works, for recent kernels.
    > >
    > > I am not looking for bull**** and vaporware.
    > >
    > > For years, several years ago, I used CFS and it was fantastic. It did
    > > precisely what was needed and worked 100% reliably.
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, its code base is very old (9 years old), based on K&R C
    > > and does not compile with the new gcc.
    > >
    > > TCFS looks interesting, but I do not believe that it works for 2.6
    > > kernels. So it is out (unless I am mistaken).
    > >
    > > So, what is it that actually works? An NFS like program like CFS would be
    > > my best hope.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > i
    > >



    > --



    --

  4. Re: Cryptographic file system under linux that ACTUALLY WORKS

    On 8 Dec 2005 20:12:09 GMT, Jean-Luc Cooke wrote:
    > Yup.
    >
    > I was using it on my 1.4TB RAID. Works well. Drawback?
    > - 32bit block counts, the maximum size is around 2TB
    >
    > Maybe new versions of the userland and kernel code fixes this.


    Interesting. I do not have partition size issues, I am going to use my
    cryptographic file system only to store my own credit card numbers,
    hence small size (300 MB).

    i

    > JLC
    >
    > In sci.crypt Ignoramus8325 wrote:
    >> I figured it out. I am now using dm-crypt, losetup, cryptsetup etc.

    >
    >> http://www.saout.de/misc/dm-crypt/

    >
    >> Seems to work so far.

    >
    >> i

    >
    >> On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 16:56:12 GMT, Ignoramus8325 wrote:
    >> > I am looking for a cryptographic file system for linux that actually
    >> > works, for recent kernels.
    >> >
    >> > I am not looking for bull**** and vaporware.
    >> >
    >> > For years, several years ago, I used CFS and it was fantastic. It did
    >> > precisely what was needed and worked 100% reliably.
    >> >
    >> > Unfortunately, its code base is very old (9 years old), based on K&R C
    >> > and does not compile with the new gcc.
    >> >
    >> > TCFS looks interesting, but I do not believe that it works for 2.6
    >> > kernels. So it is out (unless I am mistaken).
    >> >
    >> > So, what is it that actually works? An NFS like program like CFS would be
    >> > my best hope.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!
    >> >
    >> > i
    >> >

    >
    >
    >
    >



    --


  5. Re: Cryptographic file system under linux that ACTUALLY WORKS

    Ignoramus4775 writes:

    >On 8 Dec 2005 20:12:09 GMT, Jean-Luc Cooke wrote:
    >> Yup.
    >>
    >> I was using it on my 1.4TB RAID. Works well. Drawback?
    >> - 32bit block counts, the maximum size is around 2TB
    >>
    >> Maybe new versions of the userland and kernel code fixes this.


    >Interesting. I do not have partition size issues, I am going to use my
    >cryptographic file system only to store my own credit card numbers,
    >hence small size (300 MB).


    You have 300MB of your own credit card numbers? I think you have a serious
    problem!

  6. Re: Cryptographic file system under linux that ACTUALLY WORKS

    Hi!

    Ignoramus4775 wrote:

    > Interesting. I do not have partition size issues, I am going to use my
    > cryptographic file system only to store my own credit card numbers,
    > hence small size (300 MB).


    Well, why not put those numbers in a text-file and encrypt this with
    GPG? Assuming you have normal numbers of accounts this will keep you
    well under 1MB.

    Greetings,

    Joachim

  7. Re: Cryptographic file system under linux that ACTUALLY WORKS

    Joachim Ziebs wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > Ignoramus4775 wrote:
    >
    >> Interesting. I do not have partition size issues, I am going to use my
    >> cryptographic file system only to store my own credit card numbers,
    >> hence small size (300 MB).

    >
    > Well, why not put those numbers in a text-file and encrypt this with
    > GPG? Assuming you have normal numbers of accounts this will keep you
    > well under 1MB.
    >


    I would loook into crypto loops... Basically, it's an encrypted file system
    on a file that mounted as a loop. You can make the fs any size you wish and
    the encryption can be any of the many that are included in the 2.6 kernel.

    I use it all the time and favor it over other types of encrypted storage.

    Just google around for "encrypted loops"...

    Cheers.

    --

    ************************************************** ****************************
    Registered Linux User Number 185956
    FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
    Join me in chat at #linux-users on irc.freenode.net
    10:15am up 84 days, 1:40, 3 users, load average: 1.86, 1.84, 1.78

  8. Re: Cryptographic file system under linux that ACTUALLY WORKS

    Unruh wrote in
    news:dna8l0$83j$1@nntp.itservices.ubc.ca:
    >
    > You have 300MB of your own credit card numbers? I think you have a
    > serious problem!


    I didn't know Paris Hilton was into cryptography!

    Thanks for the link. I've been looking for a container encryption program
    for Linux for a long time. Windows has many programs that do this. I always
    found it ironic that Windows users had access to such software while Linux
    users, who are more security conscious, are left hanging.

  9. Re: Cryptographic file system under linux that ACTUALLY WORKS

    In sci.crypt Sam wrote:
    > Thanks for the link. I've been looking for a container encryption program
    > for Linux for a long time. Windows has many programs that do this. I always
    > found it ironic that Windows users had access to such software while Linux
    > users, who are more security conscious, are left hanging.


    Linux has has crypto filesystem and devices for a long long time.
    lookup "cryptoloop" for the 2.x kernel.

    JLC

    --

  10. Re: Cryptographic file system under linux that ACTUALLY WORKS

    Ignoramus4775 burped up warm pablum in
    news:_P0mf.24938$Nu5.21015@fe69.usenetserver.com:

    > Interesting. I do not have partition size issues, I am going to use my
    > cryptographic file system only to store my own credit card numbers,
    > hence small size (300 MB).


    Wow! 300 MB! How many credit cards do you have?

    --

    Sincerely,

    Tris Orendorff
    [Two antennae meet on a roof, fall in love and get married. The ceremony
    wasn't much, but the reception was excellent.]


+ Reply to Thread