Re: strange outgoing smpppd SYN packets - Security

This is a discussion on Re: strange outgoing smpppd SYN packets - Security ; Moe Trin wrote: >>Also i find the following "strange" entry in the routing cache: >> >>Source Destination Gateway Flags Metric Ref Use Iface >>10.219.192.1 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 bl 0 0 5 lo > > Two things - notice it's on the ...

  1. Re: strange outgoing smpppd SYN packets

    Moe Trin wrote:

    >>Also i find the following "strange" entry in the routing cache:
    >>
    >>Source Destination Gateway Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    >>10.219.192.1 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 bl 0 0 5 lo

    > Two things - notice it's on the loopback interface. The destination of
    > 255.255.255.255 is an 'all networks broadcast', and probably relates to
    > DHCP.
    >
    >>What does the flag bl mean? Can anyone give me a hint?

    > I don't know, but the 'b' should be 'broadcast', and I _think_ the 'l'
    > is 'listening'. My 'proc' man page doesn't mention it.
    >
    > Old guy

    Well, they say that source is the ultimate doc, but *damn*. I just grabbed a
    current net-tools-x-.src.rpm and started looking around. In its
    lib/inet_gr.c, I find /* #include realy broken */. That's a
    cut-n-paste.

    I've been needing to get familiar with this code for some time, as there's
    a bug in netstat that I need to hunt down. I guess I need to break down,
    apply all the patches, and put in some evening hours. Erk. Upside is that
    this FC3 machine needs to become an FC4 machine. May as well procrastinate
    by doing that first.

    --
    Greg Metcalfe
    GPG fingerprint: 95B3 2BDD 9152 1E7D A240 37C1 7AE2 9B71 0065 F029

  2. Re: strange outgoing smpppd SYN packets

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.security, in article
    <9u4kf.47$p96.2024@news.uswest.net>, Greg Metcalfe wrote:

    >Well, they say that source is the ultimate doc, but *damn*. I just grabbed a
    >current net-tools-x-.src.rpm and started looking around.

    My C skills are "emergency only", and when I have a C problem, I pass it
    to one of my co-workers who can at least spell C.

    >I've been needing to get familiar with this code for some time, as there's
    >a bug in netstat that I need to hunt down. I guess I need to break down,
    >apply all the patches, and put in some evening hours.

    Don't forget that if you are starting from the existing rpms, Red Hat has
    already included some patches back ported from all over. See the .spec
    files in the SRPM package to see what they changed and why.

    >Upside is that this FC3 machine needs to become an FC4 machine. May as
    >well procrastinate by doing that first.

    Nah, procrastinate another month and upgrade to FC5. Understand the betas
    are out now.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread