dns and adsl - Security

This is a discussion on dns and adsl - Security ; hi, having this trouble with dns on my linux router, connected to internet through adsl, and masquerading to the lan on 192.168.*.*. All works fine in the normal case, but. The thing is that my isp has this crazy configuration ...

  1. dns and adsl

    hi, having this trouble with dns on my linux router, connected to internet
    through adsl, and masquerading to the lan on 192.168.*.*. All works fine in
    the normal case, but. The thing is that my isp has this crazy configuration
    that I need to unplug the mains of the adsl router for atleast 2 hours to
    change dynamic ip. This is wrong according to me, but that is the way their
    system is set up. So, when I sometimes unplug the adsl card, and start the
    router(a suse linux box) it of course gets no ip address,neither does dns
    work. if I then plug in the adsl router to the mains the router gets the ip
    after a short while, but the dns does not work. In other words I need to
    reboot the router (and having mains to adsl box) to get onto the net. How
    can this rebooting be avoided? What I am searching for is a way to get the
    adsl link with address, and also get dns working, at the same time without
    rebooting. Thank you for your help.

  2. Re: dns and adsl

    Hello Fjoka,

    What what dynamic name service do you use for the assignment of your
    domain to your dynamic ip address? Dyndns.org?

    Which client to the service do you use to refresh the the domain's IP
    (in this case your dynamic IP) to the dynamic name service?

    Look in the config files of this client and set the refresh time to
    about 5 minutes (almost every dyndns client supports this).

    Normally it should be the same config file where you entered your
    login name and password for the dynamic DNS service.

    I hope you searched in google before you sent this question.

    Greets,
    Andy

  3. Re: dns and adsl

    Hello Fjoka,

    What dynamic name service do you use for the assignment of your
    domain to your dynamic ip address? Dyndns.org?

    Which client to the service do you use to refresh the the domain's IP
    (in this case your dynamic IP) to the dynamic name service?

    Look in the config files of this client and set the refresh time to
    about 5 minutes (almost every dyndns client supports this).

    Normally it should be the same config file where you entered your
    login name and password for the dynamic DNS service.

    I hope you searched in google before you sent this question.

    Greets,
    Andy

  4. Re: dns and adsl

    "Andreas E. Mueller" skrev i meddelandet
    news:1191571646.106819.30020@n39g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hello Fjoka,
    >
    > What what dynamic name service do you use for the assignment of your
    > domain to your dynamic ip address? Dyndns.org?
    >
    > Which client to the service do you use to refresh the the domain's IP
    > (in this case your dynamic IP) to the dynamic name service?
    >
    > Look in the config files of this client and set the refresh time to
    > about 5 minutes (almost every dyndns client supports this).
    >
    > Normally it should be the same config file where you entered your
    > login name and password for the dynamic DNS service.
    >
    > I hope you searched in google before you sent this question.
    >
    > Greets,
    > Andy

    this is not about domains. The domain is what it is. This is a adsl link
    with dynamic ip configuration used as a home office, ipmasquerading to
    192.168.0.*.

  5. Re: dns and adsl

    Oh... sorry I understood the question wrong.

    Since you have a SuSE box, first set it not to query for the ISP's dns
    server automatically(I think some SuSE ISP configs have a problem with
    this, I haven't used SuSE for years)...

    Edit /etc/ppp/ip-up and modify the line

    $USEPEERDNS "true"

    $USEPEERDNS "false"

    .... then edit the /etc/resolv.conf file as following:

    domain your.isp.domain (normally you don't need this line)
    nameserver xxx.xxx.xx.x (your ISP's name server address I'm sure you
    will find this information)

    If the /etc/resolv.conf file doesn't exist, then create it.

    Hope this helps.

    Greets,
    Andy

+ Reply to Thread