SCO, Open Source and the Un*x source code - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO, Open Source and the Un*x source code - SCO ; I've got a question for members of the group: Earlier in the peace, when Caldera - now SCO - had bought the Unix Source Code portfolio - about the likeliehood of success if it had used the fact that there ...

  1. SCO, Open Source and the Un*x source code

    I've got a question for members of the group:

    Earlier in the peace, when Caldera - now SCO - had bought the Unix Source
    Code portfolio - about the likeliehood of success if it had used the fact
    that there already was a major community built up around the SCO operating
    systems, to open the Unix source code and use the feedback to build up a
    challenger to Linux and the *BSD.

    My ideas were modest - BSD licensing terms, but a support contract for each
    member who wished to remain a member; graduated contract rebate terms for
    those members who discovered/reported bugs, contributed bug fixes, etc; and
    basically undoing the work of AT&T etc, in setting up Un*x to fragment, to
    fail so quickly.

    I think perhaps the one email I sent the Ransom Love didn't spell my ideas
    out, so I'm not blaming anyone - except myself.

    I'm not trying to flamebait this newsgroup, it's not my intention - would
    those ideas have succeeded? What is everybody's opinion?

    Wesley Parish
    --
    First the wife, tone of awe. So much a condition. Kent in the labs, fast
    forward. "So how was the worthlessful businessman?" But they hadn't

  2. Re: SCO, Open Source and the Un*x source code

    tony@aplawrence.com wrote:

    > Wesley Parish wrote:
    >>I've got a question for members of the group:

    >>Earlier in the peace, when Caldera - now SCO - had bought the Unix Source
    >>Code portfolio - about the likeliehood of success if it had used the fact
    >>that there already was a major community built up around the SCO operating
    >>systems, to open the Unix source code and use the feedback to build up a
    >>challenger to Linux and the *BSD.

    >>My ideas were modest - BSD licensing terms, but a support contract for
    >>each member who wished to remain a member; graduated contract rebate terms
    >>for those members who discovered/reported bugs, contributed bug fixes,
    >>etc; and basically undoing the work of AT&T etc, in setting up Un*x to
    >>fragment, to fail so quickly.

    >>I think perhaps the one email I sent the Ransom Love didn't spell my ideas
    >>out, so I'm not blaming anyone - except myself.

    >>I'm not trying to flamebait this newsgroup, it's not my intention - would
    >>those ideas have succeeded? What is everybody's opinion?

    > Even if SCO wanted to do that, I suspect there is too much royalty
    > encumbered code within to do it easily.

    Thanks. I should've thought of that - but how easy is it to replace?

    Wesley Parish

    --
    First the wife, tone of awe. So much a condition. Kent in the labs, fast
    forward. "So how was the worthlessful businessman?" But they hadn't
    stopped meat for year ago, that arose hotel facade slowly moved apper.
    - Don't let emacs meta-x dissociatedpress write your speeches!

+ Reply to Thread