Ethernet interfaces stop responding - SCO

This is a discussion on Ethernet interfaces stop responding - SCO ; Hello, I recently implemented UnixWare 7.1.4 as an ipnat + ipfilter solution in our office. It works flawlessly for a number of hours, but after a period of use it simply stops responding. The system is still up and responsive, ...

  1. Ethernet interfaces stop responding

    Hello,

    I recently implemented UnixWare 7.1.4 as an ipnat + ipfilter solution in
    our office. It works flawlessly for a number of hours, but after a
    period of use it simply stops responding. The system is still up and
    responsive, but the network interfaces aren't. ifconfig doesn't show
    anything unusual both before and after they occur. The logs also show
    nothing unusual. I'm at a total loss, and don't want to write our
    UnixWare license off and move to Solaris without trying to sort this out.

    Thanks so much!

  2. Re: Ethernet interfaces stop responding

    On Oct 3, 1:44 pm, Uncle Muscle wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently implemented UnixWare 7.1.4 as an ipnat + ipfilter solution in
    > our office. It works flawlessly for a number of hours, but after a
    > period of use it simply stops responding. The system is still up and
    > responsive, but the network interfaces aren't. ifconfig doesn't show
    > anything unusual both before and after they occur. The logs also show
    > nothing unusual. I'm at a total loss, and don't want to write our
    > UnixWare license off and move to Solaris without trying to sort this out.
    >
    > Thanks so much!

    Hi,

    You should look at another recent thread, "OpenServer 6.0.0 hangs randomly. Please help!" a>

    I know it pertains to Openserver 6, but the symptoms are very
    similar. I was able to solve my problem which was ONLY the network
    interfaces dying by upgrading to the newest NIC driver found on HP's
    site in a Networking Pack, or go directly to the manufacturer's site
    and download from there. In my case it was Broadcom and they actually
    had SCO drivers readily available.

    There were several other suggestions throughout the thread as well.

    Hope that helps,
    -David

  3. Re: Ethernet interfaces stop responding

    David C. Moody wrote:
    > On Oct 3, 1:44 pm, Uncle Muscle wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I recently implemented UnixWare 7.1.4 as an ipnat + ipfilter solution in
    >> our office. It works flawlessly for a number of hours, but after a
    >> period of use it simply stops responding. The system is still up and
    >> responsive, but the network interfaces aren't. ifconfig doesn't show
    >> anything unusual both before and after they occur. The logs also show
    >> nothing unusual. I'm at a total loss, and don't want to write our
    >> UnixWare license off and move to Solaris without trying to sort this out.
    >>
    >> Thanks so much!

    > Hi,
    >
    > You should look at another recent thread,
    "OpenServer 6.0.0 hangs randomly. Please help!" > a>

    > I know it pertains to Openserver 6, but the symptoms are very
    > similar. I was able to solve my problem which was ONLY the network
    > interfaces dying by upgrading to the newest NIC driver found on HP's
    > site in a Networking Pack, or go directly to the manufacturer's site
    > and download from there. In my case it was Broadcom and they actually
    > had SCO drivers readily available.
    >
    > There were several other suggestions throughout the thread as well.
    >
    > Hope that helps,
    > -David

    David,

    I really appreciate the reply. I took a look at the posting and all
    replies. Unfortunately, my issue seems to leave the system responsive
    locally, but it just stops all network activity. One odd issue is that
    any ssh sessions open remain open and function normally until they are
    closed. No new sessions can be made. The system has 2 NICs, as it as
    acting as an ipnat router, and both the internal and external NICs
    simply seem to seize. They respond to icmp, however.

    Such a strange issue...

+ Reply to Thread