sar output in SCO6 - SCO

This is a discussion on sar output in SCO6 - SCO ; Hello all, If you're using "sar -u 2 5" on SCO6, there will be placed an exta column %intr. As far as I could read in the man pages, it stands for interupt. Now I have one customer with this ...

  1. sar output in SCO6

    Hello all,

    If you're using "sar -u 2 5" on SCO6, there will be placed an exta
    column %intr. As far as I could read in the man pages, it stands for
    interupt.

    Now I have one customer with this output:

    SCO_SV thematec 5 6.0.0 i386 10/02/07

    14:12:45 %usr %sys %wio %idle %intr
    14:12:47 5 13 0 0 82
    14:12:49 10 16 0 0 73
    14:12:51 8 13 0 0 79
    14:12:53 10 16 0 0 74
    14:12:55 6 15 0 0 78
    Average 8 15 0 0 77

    Why is the %intr so high?.
    All the patches of SCO6 are installed.

    regards,
    John

  2. Re: sar output in SCO6

    > If you're using "sar -u 2 5" on SCO6, there will be placed an exta column
    > %intr. As far as I could read in the man pages, it stands for interupt.
    >
    > Now I have one customer with this output:
    >
    > SCO_SV thematec 5 6.0.0 i386 10/02/07
    >
    > 14:12:45 %usr %sys %wio %idle %intr
    > 14:12:47 5 13 0 0 82
    > 14:12:49 10 16 0 0 73
    > 14:12:51 8 13 0 0 79
    > 14:12:53 10 16 0 0 74
    > 14:12:55 6 15 0 0 78
    > Average 8 15 0 0 77
    >
    > Why is the %intr so high?.
    > All the patches of SCO6 are installed.
    >
    > regards,
    > John

    Serial/parallel/usb devices chattering?
    Looks low to me anyways but I don't know what numbers you typically get on
    other boxes configured with the same hardware and doing the same work.
    Total interrupts is meaningless anyways except to flag your attention so
    that you then look at the breakdown of individual irq's and see which device
    is generating all the traffic, and then decide if thats even wrong for that
    device.

    -bkw

  3. Re: sar output in SCO6

    More to the point, why is the idle time so low (0%)!

    --RLR

    jkuiper wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > If you're using "sar -u 2 5" on SCO6, there will be placed an exta
    > column %intr. As far as I could read in the man pages, it stands for
    > interupt.
    >
    > Now I have one customer with this output:
    >
    > SCO_SV thematec 5 6.0.0 i386 10/02/07
    >
    > 14:12:45 %usr %sys %wio %idle %intr
    > 14:12:47 5 13 0 0 82
    > 14:12:49 10 16 0 0 73
    > 14:12:51 8 13 0 0 79
    > 14:12:53 10 16 0 0 74
    > 14:12:55 6 15 0 0 78
    > Average 8 15 0 0 77
    >
    > Why is the %intr so high?.
    > All the patches of SCO6 are installed.
    >
    > regards,
    > John

  4. id question

    Hello,

    # id
    uid=123(jeff) gid=23(group) groups=25(group)
    ^^^^
    How would I grab the name "jeff" above, and only the name "jeff"
    from the output of 'id' ? Example 'jeff' could be anyones login name.

    I know there are other easier options like 'logname' 'who am i'... etc.
    but my curiosity revolves around the output of 'id'.

    As always, any input is greatly appreciated!
    TIA,
    Jeff H

  5. Re: id question

    Jeff Hyman wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > # id
    > uid=123(jeff) gid=23(group) groups=25(group)
    > ^^^^
    > How would I grab the name "jeff" above, and only the name "jeff"
    > from the output of 'id' ? Example 'jeff' could be anyones login name.
    >
    > I know there are other easier options like 'logname' 'who am i'... etc.
    > but my curiosity revolves around the output of 'id'.
    >
    > As always, any input is greatly appreciated!
    > TIA,
    > Jeff H

    id -gn

  6. Re: id question

    On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 01:08:28PM -0400, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > # id
    > uid=123(jeff) gid=23(group) groups=25(group)
    > ^^^^
    > How would I grab the name "jeff" above, and only the name "jeff"
    > from the output of 'id' ? Example 'jeff' could be anyones login name.
    >
    > I know there are other easier options like 'logname' 'who am i'... etc.
    > but my curiosity revolves around the output of 'id'.
    >
    > As always, any input is greatly appreciated!
    > TIA,
    > Jeff H

    id -u -n

    --
    Tom
    D. Thomas Podnar

  7. Re: id question

    Walter Vaughan wrote:

    > Jeff Hyman wrote:

    > id -gn

    I meant id -un which was replied to earlier by Podnar...

    g = group
    u = user
    n = name

  8. Re: id question

    D . Thomas Podnar typed (on Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 02:23:42PM -0400):
    | On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 01:08:28PM -0400, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    | > Hello,
    | >
    | > # id
    | > uid=123(jeff) gid=23(group) groups=25(group)
    | > ^^^^
    | > How would I grab the name "jeff" above, and only the name "jeff"
    | > from the output of 'id' ? Example 'jeff' could be anyones login name.
    | >
    | > I know there are other easier options like 'logname' 'who am i'... etc.
    | > but my curiosity revolves around the output of 'id'.
    | >
    | > As always, any input is greatly appreciated!
    | > TIA,
    | > Jeff H
    | >

    | id -u -n
    |
    | --
    | Tom
    | D. Thomas Podnar
    | Microlite Corporation
    | 2315 Mill Street
    | Aliquippa PA USA 15001-2228
    | 724-375-6711
    | 888-257-3343 Sales
    | Developers of Microlite BackupEDGE

    Thanks Tom,

    I posted a reply to you previously and did
    not see it show up here.

    Best Regards,
    Jeffrey Hyman
    .--.
    ___________________________ .-. | | _____________________________________
    Lone Star Software Corp. | | | | .-. Home of World Famous LONE-TAR(tm)
    Cactus International, Inc. | |_| | | | Backup Software for UNIX and LINUX
    Sales: 800.525.8649 _ |___ |_| | 24x7 Support Available
    Support: 301.829.1622 _| ~- | ___| RESCUE-RANGER(tm) and AIR-BAG(tm)
    http://www.LONE-TAR.com \, _} | | Disaster Recovery Software
    -------------------------- \( -- | | --------------------------------------
    | |

  9. Re: sar output in SCO6

    That's exactly my point.
    It seems that the %intr uses a lot of process time.
    The %idle is an summary of %usr + %sys + %intr
    Is there a way to see witch interrupts are causing this problem.
    With hw and sdiconfig I couldn't find any strange thing.

    Regards,
    John

    ThreeStar wrote:
    > More to the point, why is the idle time so low (0%)!
    >
    > --RLR
    >
    > jkuiper wrote:
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> If you're using "sar -u 2 5" on SCO6, there will be placed an exta
    >> column %intr. As far as I could read in the man pages, it stands for
    >> interupt.
    >>
    >> Now I have one customer with this output:
    >>
    >> SCO_SV thematec 5 6.0.0 i386 10/02/07
    >>
    >> 14:12:45 %usr %sys %wio %idle %intr
    >> 14:12:47 5 13 0 0 82
    >> 14:12:49 10 16 0 0 73
    >> 14:12:51 8 13 0 0 79
    >> 14:12:53 10 16 0 0 74
    >> 14:12:55 6 15 0 0 78
    >> Average 8 15 0 0 77
    >>
    >> Why is the %intr so high?.
    >> All the patches of SCO6 are installed.
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> John

  10. Re: sar output in SCO6

    On Oct 3, 1:10 am, jkuiper wrote:
    > That's exactly my point.
    > It seems that the %intr uses a lot of process time.
    > The %idle is an summary of %usr + %sys + %intr
    > Is there a way to see witch interrupts are causing this problem.
    > With hw and sdiconfig I couldn't find any strange thing.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John
    >
    > ThreeStar wrote:
    > > More to the point, why is the idle time so low (0%)!

    > > --RLR

    > > jkuiper wrote:
    > >> Hello all,

    > >> If you're using "sar -u 2 5" on SCO6, there will be placed an exta
    > >> column %intr. As far as I could read in the man pages, it stands for
    > >> interupt.

    > >> Now I have one customer with this output:

    > >> SCO_SV thematec 5 6.0.0 i386 10/02/07

    > >> 14:12:45 %usr %sys %wio %idle %intr
    > >> 14:12:47 5 13 0 0 82
    > >> 14:12:49 10 16 0 0 73
    > >> 14:12:51 8 13 0 0 79
    > >> 14:12:53 10 16 0 0 74
    > >> 14:12:55 6 15 0 0 78
    > >> Average 8 15 0 0 77

    > >> Why is the %intr so high?.
    > >> All the patches of SCO6 are installed.

    > >> regards,
    > >> John

    Any modems or other serial devices attached?

    --RLR

+ Reply to Thread