Problems with tape on SCO osr6 - SCO

This is a discussion on Problems with tape on SCO osr6 - SCO ; Hi NG I've just migrated from OpenServer 5.0.4 to 6.0, and I'm having some trouble First of all, I cann't write to the tapes. I can read the tapes from the old server by doing a cpio -vit .. -print ...

  1. Problems with tape on SCO osr6

    Hi NG

    I've just migrated from OpenServer 5.0.4 to 6.0, and I'm having some trouble
    First of all, I cann't write to the tapes. I can read the tapes from the old
    server by doing a cpio -vit < /dev/rStp0, but when I try to write 'find
    .. -print | cpio -vocduB > /dev/rStp0' I get an error : cannot create
    I've tried different devices nrStp0, xStp0 and different aguments to
    cpio, -oc, but the result is the same.

    I'm not that familiar with unix, and a newbie with osr6, but has anyone got
    an idear?

    Best regards

    Stef

  2. Re: Problems with tape on SCO osr6

    Hi Stef,

    Are you really sure your tape is working?
    Can you use the command: tape status or tape status /dev/rStp0
    Try to write the tape with "tar cvf /dev/rStp0 .

    Regards,
    John

    Stef wrote:
    > Hi NG
    >
    > I've just migrated from OpenServer 5.0.4 to 6.0, and I'm having some trouble
    > First of all, I cann't write to the tapes. I can read the tapes from the old
    > server by doing a cpio -vit < /dev/rStp0, but when I try to write 'find
    > . -print | cpio -vocduB > /dev/rStp0' I get an error : cannot create
    > I've tried different devices nrStp0, xStp0 and different aguments to
    > cpio, -oc, but the result is the same.
    >
    > I'm not that familiar with unix, and a newbie with osr6, but has anyone got
    > an idear?
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > Stef

  3. Re: Problems with tape on SCO osr6

    Hej John

    Thanks for the anwser, but the tape station works.
    I tried making a backup with tar and that works.
    For some reason I cann't use the cpio command to make backups with osr6, but
    if I just can make it work with tar I'm happy with that.

    best regards
    Stef
    "jkuiper" skrev i en meddelelse
    news:47022f8a$0$25498$9a622dc7@news.kpnplanet.nl.. .
    > Hi Stef,
    >
    > Are you really sure your tape is working?
    > Can you use the command: tape status or tape status /dev/rStp0
    > Try to write the tape with "tar cvf /dev/rStp0 .
    >
    > Regards,
    > John
    >
    > Stef wrote:
    >> Hi NG
    >>
    >> I've just migrated from OpenServer 5.0.4 to 6.0, and I'm having some
    >> trouble
    >> First of all, I cann't write to the tapes. I can read the tapes from the
    >> old server by doing a cpio -vit < /dev/rStp0, but when I try to write
    >> 'find . -print | cpio -vocduB > /dev/rStp0' I get an error : cannot
    >> create
    >> I've tried different devices nrStp0, xStp0 and different aguments to
    >> cpio, -oc, but the result is the same.
    >>
    >> I'm not that familiar with unix, and a newbie with osr6, but has anyone
    >> got an idear?
    >>
    >> Best regards
    >>
    >> Stef

  4. Re: Problems with tape on SCO osr6

    On Sep 26, 1:29 am, "Stef" wrote:
    > Hi NG
    >
    > I've just migrated from OpenServer 5.0.4 to 6.0, and I'm having some trouble
    > First of all, I cann't write to the tapes. I can read the tapes from the old
    > server by doing a cpio -vit < /dev/rStp0, but when I try to write 'find
    > . -print | cpio -vocduB > /dev/rStp0' I get an error : cannot create
    > I've tried different devices nrStp0, xStp0 and different aguments to
    > cpio, -oc, but the result is the same.
    >
    > I'm not that familiar with unix, and a newbie with osr6, but has anyone got
    > an idear?
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > Stef

    May not be the problem but "-vocduB" doesn't make sense together. The
    "d" and "u" will work reading a tape, not writing to it. Try a simple
    "find . -print | cpio -ovc > /dev/rStp0" first. The other thing to
    check is if
    the tape is ready in time, does the tape start some action when you
    write?

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread