Two tape drives on Osr 5.0.7? - SCO

This is a discussion on Two tape drives on Osr 5.0.7? - SCO ; o OS: SCO Osr 5.0.7, with maintenance pack 5 applied o Hardware: Intel N440BX motherboard, PIII 450 Mhz, 512 MB ECC memory Two SCSI controllers: 1. One Adaptec 2940UW PCI SCSI controller in PCI slot 1 runs the external DLT ...

  1. Two tape drives on Osr 5.0.7?

    o OS: SCO Osr 5.0.7, with maintenance pack 5 applied

    o Hardware:
    Intel N440BX motherboard, PIII 450 Mhz, 512 MB ECC memory
    Two SCSI controllers:
    1. One Adaptec 2940UW PCI SCSI controller in PCI slot 1 runs the external
    DLT tape drive
    2. The onboard Symbios SCSI controller runs the internal Tandberg QIC tape
    drive

    I've tried many times to use mkdev tape to install two SCSI-interfaced tape
    drives:

    1. an internal Tandberg SCSI QIC drive (1.2GB per 950 foot tape cartridge);
    2. an external SUN DLT7000 DLT drive (40/80 GB per DLT IV tape cartridge).

    Each time, the SUN DLT7000 drive installs (sort of), but the Tandberg
    doesn't.

    The internal Tandberg drive is attached to the slha adapter; the externa;
    Sun drive is attached to the alad adapter.

    I can see both /etc/rStp0 and /dev/Stp1 files. The "tape status /dev/rStp1"
    command works, but the "tape status /dev/rStp0" command results in the error
    message "can't open '/dev/rStp0': no such device or address".

    Any ideas? TIA.

  2. Re: Two tape drives on Osr 5.0.7?

    In article ,
    Arby wrote:
    >o OS: SCO Osr 5.0.7, with maintenance pack 5 applied
    >
    >o Hardware:
    >Intel N440BX motherboard, PIII 450 Mhz, 512 MB ECC memory
    >Two SCSI controllers:
    >1. One Adaptec 2940UW PCI SCSI controller in PCI slot 1 runs the external
    >DLT tape drive
    >2. The onboard Symbios SCSI controller runs the internal Tandberg QIC tape
    >drive
    >

    >I've tried many times to use mkdev tape to install two SCSI-interfaced tape
    >drives:
    >
    >1. an internal Tandberg SCSI QIC drive (1.2GB per 950 foot tape cartridge);
    >2. an external SUN DLT7000 DLT drive (40/80 GB per DLT IV tape cartridge).
    >

    >Each time, the SUN DLT7000 drive installs (sort of), but the Tandberg
    >doesn't.
    >
    >The internal Tandberg drive is attached to the slha adapter; the externa;
    >Sun drive is attached to the alad adapter.
    >
    >I can see both /etc/rStp0 and /dev/Stp1 files. The "tape status /dev/rStp1"
    >command works, but the "tape status /dev/rStp0" command results in the error
    >message "can't open '/dev/rStp0': no such device or address".

    You should use the control device (/dev/xStp0, not /dev/rStp0) with the tape
    command. If that doesn't help, post the output of:

    cat /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi

    l /dev/[rx]Stp?

    sconf -v

    John

  3. Re: Two tape drives on Osr 5.0.7?

    "John DuBois" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > Arby wrote:
    >>o OS: SCO Osr 5.0.7, with maintenance pack 5 applied
    >>
    >>o Hardware:
    >>Intel N440BX motherboard, PIII 450 Mhz, 512 MB ECC memory
    >>Two SCSI controllers:
    >>1. One Adaptec 2940UW PCI SCSI controller in PCI slot 1 runs the external
    >>DLT tape drive
    >>2. The onboard Symbios SCSI controller runs the internal Tandberg QIC tape
    >>drive
    >>

    >>I've tried many times to use mkdev tape to install two SCSI-interfaced
    >>tape
    >>drives:
    >>
    >>1. an internal Tandberg SCSI QIC drive (1.2GB per 950 foot tape
    >>cartridge);
    >>2. an external SUN DLT7000 DLT drive (40/80 GB per DLT IV tape cartridge).
    >>

    >>Each time, the SUN DLT7000 drive installs (sort of), but the Tandberg
    >>doesn't.
    >>
    >>The internal Tandberg drive is attached to the slha adapter; the externa;
    >>Sun drive is attached to the alad adapter.
    >>
    >>I can see both /etc/rStp0 and /dev/Stp1 files. The "tape status
    >>/dev/rStp1"
    >>command works, but the "tape status /dev/rStp0" command results in the
    >>error
    >>message "can't open '/dev/rStp0': no such device or address".

    > You should use the control device (/dev/xStp0, not /dev/rStp0) with the
    > tape
    > command. If that doesn't help, post the output of:
    >
    > cat /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi
    >
    > l /dev/[rx]Stp?
    >
    > sconf -v
    >

    > John
    > --
    > John DuBois spcecdt@armory.com KC6QKZ/AE
    > http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/

    Thanks for your response, John. Here's what I see:

    cat /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi
    *ha attach number ID lun bus
    *
    slha Srom 1 6 0 0
    slha Sdsk 0 0 0 0

    # l /dev/xStp*
    crw-rw-rw- 2 root root 46,128 Sep 21 15:48 /dev/xStp0
    # l /dev/rStp*
    crw-rw-rw- 2 root root 46, 0 Sep 21 15:48 /dev/rStp0
    #

    # sconf -v
    Sdsk slha 0 0 0 0
    Sdsk slha 0 0 2 0
    Stp slha 1 0 2 0
    Srom slha 1 0 6 0
    Stp alad 0 0 4 0

    BUT,

    #mkdev tape returns:

    SCSI or Enhanced IDE Tape Drive Configuration Program

    1. Install a SCSI Tape Drive
    2. Install an Enhanced IDE Tape Drive
    3. Remove a SCSI Tape Drive
    4. Remove an Enhanced IDE Tape Drive
    5. Change default Tape Drive
    6. View Current SCSI and Enhanced IDE Tape Drive configuration

    Select an option or enter q to return to main menu: 6

    The current tape configuration is:

    Unit Description

    Press to continue

    This doesn't make sense to me (an Openserver beginner, but longtime Novell
    NetWare admin). Does it to you?

  4. Re: Two tape drives on Osr 5.0.7?

    "John DuBois" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > Arby wrote:
    >>o OS: SCO Osr 5.0.7, with maintenance pack 5 applied
    >>
    >>o Hardware:
    >>Intel N440BX motherboard, PIII 450 Mhz, 512 MB ECC memory
    >>Two SCSI controllers:
    >>1. One Adaptec 2940UW PCI SCSI controller in PCI slot 1 runs the external
    >>DLT tape drive
    >>2. The onboard Symbios SCSI controller runs the internal Tandberg QIC tape
    >>drive
    >>

    >>I've tried many times to use mkdev tape to install two SCSI-interfaced
    >>tape
    >>drives:
    >>
    >>1. an internal Tandberg SCSI QIC drive (1.2GB per 950 foot tape
    >>cartridge);
    >>2. an external SUN DLT7000 DLT drive (40/80 GB per DLT IV tape cartridge).
    >>

    >>Each time, the SUN DLT7000 drive installs (sort of), but the Tandberg
    >>doesn't.
    >>
    >>The internal Tandberg drive is attached to the slha adapter; the externa;
    >>Sun drive is attached to the alad adapter.
    >>
    >>I can see both /etc/rStp0 and /dev/Stp1 files. The "tape status
    >>/dev/rStp1"
    >>command works, but the "tape status /dev/rStp0" command results in the
    >>error
    >>message "can't open '/dev/rStp0': no such device or address".

    > You should use the control device (/dev/xStp0, not /dev/rStp0) with the
    > tape
    > command. If that doesn't help, post the output of:
    >
    > cat /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi
    >
    > l /dev/[rx]Stp?
    >
    > sconf -v
    >

    > John
    > --
    > John DuBois spcecdt@armory.com KC6QKZ/AE
    > http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/

    Here's part two of my reply, John:

    Now, AFTER running mkdev tape to install both tape drives:

    # cat /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi
    *ha attach number ID lun bus
    *
    slha Srom 1 6 0 0
    slha Sdsk 0 0 0 0
    alad Stp 0 4 0 0
    slha Stp 1 3 0 0

    # l /dev/rStp?
    crw-rw---- 2 root root 46, 0 Sep 23 18:29 /dev/rStp0
    crw-rw---- 5 root root 46, 1 Sep 23 18:29 /dev/rStp1
    # l /dev/xStp?
    crw-rw---- 2 root root 46,128 Sep 23 18:29 /dev/xStp0
    crw-rw---- 3 root root 46,129 Sep 23 18:29 /dev/xStp1

    # sconf -v
    Sdsk slha 0 0 0 0
    Sdsk slha 0 0 2 0
    Stp slha 1 0 2 0
    Srom slha 1 0 6 0
    Stp alad 0 0 4 0

    Back to you. (and thanks again.)

  5. Re: Two tape drives on Osr 5.0.7?

    "John DuBois" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > Arby wrote:
    >>o OS: SCO Osr 5.0.7, with maintenance pack 5 applied
    >>
    >>o Hardware:
    >>Intel N440BX motherboard, PIII 450 Mhz, 512 MB ECC memory
    >>Two SCSI controllers:
    >>1. One Adaptec 2940UW PCI SCSI controller in PCI slot 1 runs the external
    >>DLT tape drive
    >>2. The onboard Symbios SCSI controller runs the internal Tandberg QIC tape
    >>drive
    >>

    >>I've tried many times to use mkdev tape to install two SCSI-interfaced
    >>tape
    >>drives:
    >>
    >>1. an internal Tandberg SCSI QIC drive (1.2GB per 950 foot tape
    >>cartridge);
    >>2. an external SUN DLT7000 DLT drive (40/80 GB per DLT IV tape cartridge).
    >>

    >>Each time, the SUN DLT7000 drive installs (sort of), but the Tandberg
    >>doesn't.
    >>
    >>The internal Tandberg drive is attached to the slha adapter; the externa;
    >>Sun drive is attached to the alad adapter.
    >>
    >>I can see both /etc/rStp0 and /dev/Stp1 files. The "tape status
    >>/dev/rStp1"
    >>command works, but the "tape status /dev/rStp0" command results in the
    >>error
    >>message "can't open '/dev/rStp0': no such device or address".

    > You should use the control device (/dev/xStp0, not /dev/rStp0) with the
    > tape
    > command. If that doesn't help, post the output of:
    >
    > cat /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi
    >
    > l /dev/[rx]Stp?
    >
    > sconf -v
    >

    > John
    > --
    > John DuBois spcecdt@armory.com KC6QKZ/AE
    > http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/

    Oh - I forgot:

    After a mkdev tape installation of both drives:

    # tape status /dev/xStp0
    status : ready
    soft errors : 0
    hard errors : 0
    underruns : 0
    # tape status /dev/xStp1
    tape: can't open '/dev/xStp1': No such device or address

  6. Re: Two tape drives on Osr 5.0.7?

    Arby wrote:
    > "John DuBois" wrote in message
    >> In article ,
    >> Arby wrote:
    >>> o OS: SCO Osr 5.0.7, with maintenance pack 5 applied
    >>>
    >>> o Hardware:
    >>> Intel N440BX motherboard, PIII 450 Mhz, 512 MB ECC memory
    >>> Two SCSI controllers:
    >>> 1. One Adaptec 2940UW PCI SCSI controller in PCI slot 1 runs the external
    >>> DLT tape drive
    >>> 2. The onboard Symbios SCSI controller runs the internal Tandberg QIC tape
    >>> drive
    >>>

    >>> I've tried many times to use mkdev tape to install two SCSI-interfaced
    >>> tape
    >>> drives:
    >>>
    >>> 1. an internal Tandberg SCSI QIC drive (1.2GB per 950 foot tape
    >>> cartridge);
    >>> 2. an external SUN DLT7000 DLT drive (40/80 GB per DLT IV tape cartridge).
    >>>

    >>> Each time, the SUN DLT7000 drive installs (sort of), but the Tandberg
    >>> doesn't.
    >>>
    >>> The internal Tandberg drive is attached to the slha adapter; the externa;
    >>> Sun drive is attached to the alad adapter.
    >>>
    >>> I can see both /etc/rStp0 and /dev/Stp1 files. The "tape status
    >>> /dev/rStp1"
    >>> command works, but the "tape status /dev/rStp0" command results in the
    >>> error
    >>> message "can't open '/dev/rStp0': no such device or address".

    >> You should use the control device (/dev/xStp0, not /dev/rStp0) with the
    >> tape
    >> command. If that doesn't help, post the output of:
    >>
    >> cat /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi
    >>
    >> l /dev/[rx]Stp?
    >>
    >> sconf -v
    >>

    >> John
    >> --
    >> John DuBois spcecdt@armory.com KC6QKZ/AE
    >> http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/

    > Here's part two of my reply, John:
    >

    > Now, AFTER running mkdev tape to install both tape drives:
    >
    > # cat /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi
    > *ha attach number ID lun bus
    > *
    > slha Srom 1 6 0 0
    > slha Sdsk 0 0 0 0
    > alad Stp 0 4 0 0
    > slha Stp 1 3 0 0
    >
    > # l /dev/rStp?
    > crw-rw---- 2 root root 46, 0 Sep 23 18:29 /dev/rStp0
    > crw-rw---- 5 root root 46, 1 Sep 23 18:29 /dev/rStp1
    > # l /dev/xStp?
    > crw-rw---- 2 root root 46,128 Sep 23 18:29 /dev/xStp0
    > crw-rw---- 3 root root 46,129 Sep 23 18:29 /dev/xStp1
    >
    > # sconf -v
    > Sdsk slha 0 0 0 0
    > Sdsk slha 0 0 2 0
    > Stp slha 1 0 2 0
    > Srom slha 1 0 6 0
    > Stp alad 0 0 4 0
    >

    > Back to you. (and thanks again.)

    Not to jump in for John, but sconf -v shows that you have two slha
    controllers and one alad.

    Your problem is that you entered the wrong ID for the tape on the
    slha controller:

    sconf -v:
    > Stp slha 1 0 2 0

    mscsi:
    > slha Stp 1 3 0 0

    Sconf shows that the tape is jumpered to ID2 but you entered
    ID3 when you ran mkdev tape.

    Whichever tape you configured first will be rStp0. The next tape
    will be rStp1.

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  7. Re: Two tape drives on Osr 5.0.7?

    "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote in message
    > Arby wrote:
    >> "John DuBois" wrote in message

    >>> You should use the control device (/dev/xStp0, not /dev/rStp0) with the
    >>> tape
    >>> command. If that doesn't help, post the output of:
    >>>
    >>> cat /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi
    >>>
    >>> l /dev/[rx]Stp?
    >>>
    >>> sconf -v
    >>>

    >>> John
    >>> --
    >>> John DuBois spcecdt@armory.com KC6QKZ/AE
    >>> http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/

    >> Here's part two of my reply, John:
    >>

    >> Now, AFTER running mkdev tape to install both tape drives:
    >>
    >> # cat /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi
    >> *ha attach number ID lun bus
    >> *
    >> slha Srom 1 6 0 0
    >> slha Sdsk 0 0 0 0
    >> alad Stp 0 4 0 0
    >> slha Stp 1 3 0 0
    >>
    >> # l /dev/rStp?
    >> crw-rw---- 2 root root 46, 0 Sep 23 18:29 /dev/rStp0
    >> crw-rw---- 5 root root 46, 1 Sep 23 18:29 /dev/rStp1
    >> # l /dev/xStp?
    >> crw-rw---- 2 root root 46,128 Sep 23 18:29 /dev/xStp0
    >> crw-rw---- 3 root root 46,129 Sep 23 18:29 /dev/xStp1
    >>
    >> # sconf -v
    >> Sdsk slha 0 0 0 0
    >> Sdsk slha 0 0 2 0
    >> Stp slha 1 0 2 0
    >> Srom slha 1 0 6 0
    >> Stp alad 0 0 4 0
    >>

    >> Back to you. (and thanks again.)

    > Not to jump in for John, but sconf -v shows that you have two slha
    > controllers and one alad.
    >
    > Your problem is that you entered the wrong ID for the tape on the
    > slha controller:
    >
    > sconf -v:
    > > Stp slha 1 0 2 0

    > mscsi:
    > > slha Stp 1 3 0 0

    > Sconf shows that the tape is jumpered to ID2 but you entered
    > ID3 when you ran mkdev tape.
    >
    > Whichever tape you configured first will be rStp0. The next tape
    > will be rStp1.
    >

    > --
    > Steve Fabac
    > S.M. Fabac & Associates
    > 816/765-1670

    Steve, you deserve a gold medal!

    I think that that was my problem. Before the installation, I had documented
    model numbers, slots, addresses, interrupts, etcetera so that I could whip
    through them during the installation. For some reason I entered the QIC
    tape drive's SCSI id as "3" instead of "2" (maybe a typographical error?)
    and never reviewed the install.txt file that I'd created. That was dumb of
    me . . . and astute of you to catch that detail.

    I'll run through a few tests now, but I think that you have saved my day . .
    .. and week! I'm impressed with your attention to detail (and dismyed by my
    lack of it in this case).

    With many thanks,
    Arby.

+ Reply to Thread