SCO says: "We may have to close business forever" - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO says: "We may have to close business forever" - SCO ; SCO Group admits it may fold http://www.news.com/SCO-Group-admits...3-6208988.html -RFH...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: SCO says: "We may have to close business forever"

  1. SCO says: "We may have to close business forever"


    SCO Group admits it may fold

    http://www.news.com/SCO-Group-admits...3-6208988.html

    -RFH


  2. Re: SCO says: "We may have to close business forever"

    That would really be too bad. Does anyone out there know which of the
    Linux/Unix versions out there most closely resembles UnixWare 7. I hope
    that UW continues in some fashion, but would like to make contingency plans.
    Seems to me at one time Solaris was close??


    "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
    news:1190355952.551965.244510@50g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...
    >
    > SCO Group admits it may fold
    >
    > http://www.news.com/SCO-Group-admits...3-6208988.html
    >
    > -RFH
    >





  3. Re: SCO says: "We may have to close business forever"

    On Sep 20, 11:25 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > SCO Group admits it may fold
    >
    > http://www.news.com/SCO-Group-admits...1014_3-6208988....
    >
    > -RFH


    Enough FUD already. The "quotation" in the title of this thread
    doesn't appear in the CNet article cited or in its source, the SEC 10Q
    in which management is required to acknowledge the gloomiest
    possibilities.

    --RLR





  4. Re: SCO says: "We may have to close business forever"

    On Sep 21, 5:27 pm, "Ron Kirschner" wrote:
    > That would really be too bad. Does anyone out there know which of the
    > Linux/Unix versions out there most closely resembles UnixWare 7. I hope
    > that UW continues in some fashion, but would like to make contingency plans.
    > Seems to me at one time Solaris was close??
    >
    > "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in messagenews:1190355952.551965.244510@50g2000hsm.go oglegroups.com...
    >
    >
    >
    > > SCO Group admits it may fold

    >
    > >http://www.news.com/SCO-Group-admits...1014_3-6208988....

    >
    > > -RFH



    Solaris is SysV Unix. Transition from OpenServer to Solaris 8/9 was
    fairly easy. I suppose that the road from UnixWare should be even
    easier. Solaris 10 is free and gains support among major Intel/AMD
    based server vendors (HP, IBM etc) and software vendors (Oracle and
    IBM databases again have their new ports for Solaris x86-64).

    Darko Krstic


  5. Re: SCO says: "We may have to close business forever"

    On Sep 21, 11:50 am, ThreeStar wrote:
    > On Sep 20, 11:25 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >
    > > SCO Group admits it may fold

    >
    > >http://www.news.com/SCO-Group-admits...1014_3-6208988....

    >
    > > -RFH

    >
    > Enough FUD already. The "quotation" in the title of this thread
    > doesn't appear in the CNet article cited or in its source, the SEC 10Q
    > in which management is required to acknowledge the gloomiest
    > possibilities.
    >
    > --RLR


    Hmm, let's see. I wrote a slightly modified version of the quotation,
    and you tell your boss and stockholders: "please don't fire me! I was
    all fault of this Ramon guy on the Internet, who changed the
    quotation. Therefore all those rumors about SCO have to be FUD
    invented by him!".

    If you didn't make plans to abandon SCO's ship when this lawsuit
    started you deserve to be fired on the spot.

    -Ramon



  6. Re: SCO says: "We may have to close business forever"

    In article "Ron Kirschner" writes:
    $That would really be too bad. Does anyone out there know which of the
    $Linux/Unix versions out there most closely resembles UnixWare 7. I hope
    $that UW continues in some fashion, but would like to make contingency plans.

    If SCO does indeed blink out of existence (and I'm not sufficiently
    informed to assess the likelihood of this), it will leave creditors,
    who will fight over the remnants, including UnixWare. Will the
    creditors decide that UnixWare is worth keeping alive and even
    producing as an ongoing product line? I dunno. Maybe they will,
    maybe they won't.

    You would definitely be wise to make contingency plans. But even
    if SCO does fail entirely, that doesn't necessarily mean all of its
    products are dead.
    --
    Stephen M. Dunn
    >>>----------------> http://www.stevedunn.ca/ <----------------<<<

    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Say hi to my cat -- http://www.stevedunn.ca/photos/toby/

  7. Re: SCO says: "We may have to close business forever"

    On Sat, Sep 22, 2007, Stephen M. Dunn wrote:
    >In article "Ron Kirschner" writes:
    >$That would really be too bad. Does anyone out there know which of the
    >$Linux/Unix versions out there most closely resembles UnixWare 7. I hope
    >$that UW continues in some fashion, but would like to make contingency plans.
    >
    > If SCO does indeed blink out of existence (and I'm not sufficiently
    >informed to assess the likelihood of this), it will leave creditors,
    >who will fight over the remnants, including UnixWare. Will the
    >creditors decide that UnixWare is worth keeping alive and even
    >producing as an ongoing product line? I dunno. Maybe they will,
    >maybe they won't.


    SCO hasn't been doing much in the way of new development on their Unix
    products for years.

    I know people who are still supporting customers running SCO Xenix, and
    even one or two supporting Xenix on Tandy 16/6000 machines. I still have a
    Xenix box and an SCO 3.2v4 system in my rack, but they haven't been booted
    for about seven years now.

    > You would definitely be wise to make contingency plans. But even
    >if SCO does fail entirely, that doesn't necessarily mean all of its
    >products are dead.


    In this business making contingency plans is absolutely vital if one wants
    to stay in business. We still have a few OpenServer customers, and one
    5.0.6a system in-house used to support them, but our main emphasis has been
    on Linux systems for almost a decade.

    In point of fact, we installed our first mission-critical Linux system ten
    years ago this month, Ironically, that was the then current Caldera
    distribution. I don't remember whether we first became SCO Authrized
    Resellers in 1987 or 1988. We one of the first Caldera resellers (which
    isn't surprising as Caldera made a concerted push to recruit SCO's
    resellers).

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    URL: http://www.celestial.com/ PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676

    Bagdikian's Observation:
    Trying to be a first-rate reporter on the average American
    newspaper is like trying to play Bach's "St. Matthew Passion"
    on a ukelele.

  8. Re: SCO says: "We may have to close business forever"

    On Sep 21, 4:42 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > On Sep 21, 11:50 am, ThreeStar wrote:
    >
    > > On Sep 20, 11:25 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    >
    > > > SCO Group admits it may fold

    >
    > > >http://www.news.com/SCO-Group-admits...1014_3-6208988....

    >
    > > > -RFH

    >
    > > Enough FUD already. The "quotation" in the title of this thread
    > > doesn't appear in the CNet article cited or in its source, the SEC 10Q
    > > in which management is required to acknowledge the gloomiest
    > > possibilities.

    >
    > > --RLR

    >
    > Hmm, let's see. I wrote a slightly modified version of the quotation,
    > and you tell your boss and stockholders: "please don't fire me! I was
    > all fault of this Ramon guy on the Internet, who changed the
    > quotation. Therefore all those rumors about SCO have to be FUD
    > invented by him!".
    >
    > If you didn't make plans to abandon SCO's ship when this lawsuit
    > started you deserve to be fired on the spot.
    >
    > -Ramon


    If it wasn't said, it's not a quote. Commandment #9.

    Ask Dan Rather about the connection between using fake quotes and
    getting fired.

    --RLR


  9. Re: SCO says: "We may have to close business forever"

    On Sep 21, 11:50 am, ThreeStar wrote:
    > On Sep 20, 11:25 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >
    > > SCO Group admits it may fold

    >
    > >http://www.news.com/SCO-Group-admits...1014_3-6208988....

    >
    > > -RFH

    >
    > Enough FUD already. The "quotation" in the title of this thread
    > doesn't appear in the CNet article cited or in its source, the SEC 10Q
    > in which management is required to acknowledge the gloomiest
    > possibilities.
    >
    > --RLR


    http://edgar.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/...33836e10vq.htm,
    section 1, paragraph 3:

    "As a result of both the Court's August 10, 2007 ruling and the
    Company's entry into Chapter 11, there is substantial doubt about the
    Company's ability to continue as a going concern."


  10. Re: SCO says: "We may have to close business forever"

    On Sep 21, 2:25 am, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > SCO Group admits it may fold
    >
    > http://www.news.com/SCO-Group-admits...1014_3-6208988....
    >
    > -RFH


    I can't imagine anyone is particularly surprised.

    I've been moving my business away from SCO for many years now.. still
    have some SCO clients left, but not many..

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    http://aplawrence.com/OSR5
    http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ


  11. Re: SCO says: "We may have to close business forever"

    On Sep 25, 5:33 pm, Tony Lawrence wrote:
    > On Sep 21, 2:25 am, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >
    > > SCO Group admits it may fold

    >
    > >http://www.news.com/SCO-Group-admits...1014_3-6208988....

    >
    > > -RFH

    >
    > I can't imagine anyone is particularly surprised.
    >
    > I've been moving my business away from SCO for many years now.. still
    > have some SCO clients left, but not many..
    >
    > --
    > Tony Lawrencehttp://aplawrence.com/OSR5http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ


    Ron, I have successfully completed SCO Unixware 7 to Linux
    conversions on both RedHat Enterprise and SuSE Enterprise server. I'm
    finishing a conversion on 240 sites right now to SuSE Enterprise
    Server. Both RedHat and SuSE required slight changes but overall were
    very similiar to UnixWare. I have no qualms recommending either of
    those. That being said, I believe any Linux distro would work just as
    well, I just haven't had personal experience converting SCO onto them.

    Tony, I'd like to thank you for all the excellent documentation
    you've provided to SCO users/admins on you website. It has been a
    life saver many times for me in my career as a SCO adminstrator.


  12. Re: SCO says: "We may have to close business forever"

    On Sep 21, 8:50 am, ThreeStar wrote:
    > On Sep 20, 11:25 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >
    > > SCO Group admits it may fold

    >
    > >http://www.news.com/SCO-Group-admits...1014_3-6208988....

    >
    > > -RFH

    >
    > Enough FUD already. The "quotation" in the title of this thread
    > doesn't appear in the CNet article cited or in its source, the SEC 10Q
    > in which management is required to acknowledge the gloomiest
    > possibilities.
    >
    > --RLR


    I doubt anybody at CNet (let alone a guy named "Ramon") is going to
    get
    fired for that headline at this point. In any case, "SCO Group admits
    it
    may fold" *IS* direct quote from the CNet article. Do you really think
    there is a substantive difference between "fold" and "close business
    forever"?

    Chapter 11 is chapter 11, anybody watching this case sees it the same
    way. Considering the level of incompetence we're seeing in Lindon,
    you have to admit their chances are slim to none.


+ Reply to Thread