killing processes with parent 1 - SCO

This is a discussion on killing processes with parent 1 - SCO ; Is there a way to kill a process automatically when the unix system takes over with parent 1? I tought the unix server shuld do it by itself, but all my SCO5 and SCO6 system does nothing with it. Regards, ...

  1. killing processes with parent 1

    Is there a way to kill a process automatically when the unix system
    takes over with parent 1?
    I tought the unix server shuld do it by itself, but all my SCO5 and SCO6
    system does nothing with it.

    Regards,
    John Kuiper

  2. Re: killing processes with parent 1

    jkuiper wrote:
    > Is there a way to kill a process automatically when the unix system
    > takes over with parent 1?
    > I tought the unix server shuld do it by itself, but all my SCO5 and SCO6
    > system does nothing with it.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_process

    The "init" process has Process ID (PID) 1. It inherits orphaned
    processes and reaps them when they die.

    If they are not being reaped automatically, they are probably still
    executing and have not yet exited.

    It sounds to me like an application design fault or bug in these
    processes. I'd try to find out a) why their parents abandoned them and
    b) why they have not exited, logs like syslog may provide a clue.

+ Reply to Thread