Posgresql - SCO

This is a discussion on Posgresql - SCO ; Has anyone succeeded in installing Postgres 8.2.3 or higher on either SCO 5 or SCO 6? Think it is inherently impossible, or close thereto? Thanks...

  1. Posgresql

    Has anyone succeeded in installing Postgres 8.2.3 or higher on either
    SCO 5 or SCO 6?

    Think it is inherently impossible, or close thereto?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Posgresql

    Ed wrote:

    > Has anyone succeeded in installing Postgres 8.2.3 or higher on either
    > SCO 5 or SCO 6?

    While I see no reason why you counldn't get OSR6 to work, the question is really
    why?

    From experience your life will be happier if you dedicate database servers to
    serving and serving alone.

    PostgreSQL is a whole lot happier on a UFS based file system than anything else
    at the moment. You litterally with a broadband connection could have a running
    freeBSD server with postgreSQL installed and running in 15-20 minutes.

    Or if top speed isn't the issue, with an Ubunutu CD you could have it up and
    running without the internet in about the same time.

  3. Re: Posgresql

    For our other customers, we have Postgres running on Linux or MS
    servers. At this particular site, SCO is what they know, love, and
    can support...and the OS for which the recently purchased an upgrade.
    We aren't their IT people...we provide their application software, and
    they have been running our core system on SCO for many years.

    Now, we are adding an application that will run as a client on their
    workstations, and will access a Postgres database. We would have been
    very pleased if they had migrated to Linux, rather than upgrading
    their SCO, and encouraged them to go for a test drive, but their IT
    support is in-house, and they decided to stay with SCO.

    Postgres currently is running on their SCO server, and we have
    connected to it, but our application uses at least one stored
    procedure that runs beautifully in Postgresl 8.2.X, but not in 8.1 or
    earlier. Haven't quite pinned down the specific problem, but we can
    upgrade all our other customers to 8.2 without much trouble. The one
    SCO platform is the challenge.

    For an MS server, I could download and install the latest stable
    Postgres release, and for the Linux distributions we usually work
    with- Red Hat, Debian, or Ubuntu, it's a matter of installing the
    correct rpm (there is an 8.2.x for Red Hat 5) or doing an apt-get
    after adding the "unstable" repositories. How would we go about
    getting and installing the dependencies for SCO?

    Thanks,

    Ed

    On Sep 19, 3:59 pm, Walter Vaughan wrote:
    > Ed wrote:
    > > Has anyone succeeded in installingPostgres8.2.3 or higher on either
    > >SCO5 orSCO6?

    > While I see no reason why you counldn't get OSR6 to work, the question is really
    > why?
    >
    > From experience your life will be happier if you dedicate database servers to
    > serving and serving alone.
    >
    > PostgreSQL is a whole lot happier on a UFS based file system than anything else
    > at the moment. You litterally with a broadband connection could have a running
    > freeBSD server with postgreSQL installed and running in 15-20 minutes.
    >
    > Or if top speed isn't the issue, with an Ubunutu CD you could have it up and
    > running without the internet in about the same time.

+ Reply to Thread