Can't map unix drive in Vista Premiium - SCO

This is a discussion on Can't map unix drive in Vista Premiium - SCO ; Server: SCO OSR 5.0.6 - visionfs shared folder Home: Windows Vista I have previously been able to map an SCO system visionfs share to a drive on my home laptop running Win XP Prof. Now, under Vista, I'm unable to ...

  1. Can't map unix drive in Vista Premiium

    Server: SCO OSR 5.0.6 - visionfs shared folder
    Home: Windows Vista

    I have previously been able to map an SCO system visionfs share to a
    drive on my home laptop running Win XP Prof. Now, under Vista, I'm
    unable to map same share.
    Any ideas why not, and fix?

    --Ray

  2. Re: Can't map unix drive in Vista Premiium

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 19:15:15 GMT, pet7447info@sbcglobal.net (RWP)
    wrote:

    >Server: SCO OSR 5.0.6 - visionfs shared folder
    >Home: Windows Vista
    >
    >I have previously been able to map an SCO system visionfs share to a
    >drive on my home laptop running Win XP Prof. Now, under Vista, I'm
    >unable to map same share.
    >Any ideas why not, and fix?
    >
    >--Ray

    Vista changed the authenication method for SMB access into a form
    which VisionFS cannot be made to understand. The alternative is
    SAMBA, which you can download from the SCO Skunkware site. It may not
    be the most recent version, but it is recent enough to work (possibly
    requires some tweaks to Vista, which I forget at the moment, but which
    can be found by Googling this group for "vista visionfs")

    --
    Richard Seeder

  3. Re: Can't map unix drive in Vista Premiium

    On 17 Sep, 19:24, Richard Seeder wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 19:15:15 GMT, pet7447i...@sbcglobal.net (RWP)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Server: SCO OSR 5.0.6 - visionfs shared folder
    > >Home: Windows Vista

    > >I have previously been able to map an SCO system visionfs share to a
    > >drive on my home laptop running Win XP Prof. Now, under Vista, I'm
    > >unable to map same share.
    > >Any ideas why not, and fix?

    > >--Ray

    > Vista changed the authenication method for SMB access into a form
    > which VisionFS cannot be made to understand. The alternative is
    > SAMBA, which you can download from the SCO Skunkware site. It may not
    > be the most recent version, but it is recent enough to work (possibly
    > requires some tweaks to Vista, which I forget at the moment, but which
    > can be found by Googling this group for "vista visionfs")
    >
    > --
    > Richard Seeder

    We had issues with some Vista machines that would only work when we
    'upgraded' visionfs to samba. I've copied the instructions I used to
    upgrade some of our machines.

    Upgrading VisionFS to Samba 3.0.14 for Windows Vista Workstations
    Ver KC 2nd April 2007
    Ver KC 18th Jul 2007

    We have found that Vista machines don't work with VisionFS. This means
    that on sites with SCO servers if they get new Vista workstations then
    they won't be able to connect to the network drive.

    1.Prevent VisionFS from starting at boot time. Go to /etc/rc2.d and
    remove the file called S90visionfs or S90vision2k.

    2.Send the site gwxlibs210Ba_vol.tar.Z , samba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio.Z
    and oss646c.tar.Z files and put them into /usr/tmp

    3.Login to the site and cd /usr/tmp.

    4.Install OSS646C by doing the following. 'cat oss646c.tar.Z |
    uncompress | tar xvf -' Now start up custom and install the VOL files
    (Software > Install New > From SERVERNAME > Media Images > /usr/tmp)

    5.Install the gwxlibs. By doing the following. 'cat
    gwxlibs210Ba_vol.tar.Z | uncompress | tar xvf -' Now start up custom
    and install the VOL files (Software > Install New > From SERVERNAME >
    Media Images > /usr/tmp)

    6.Remove any existing VOL files by doing 'rm VOL.000.*'

    7.Install samba as follows. 'cat samba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio.Z |
    uncompress | cpio -ivd' Now start up custom and install the VOL files
    (Software > Install New > From SERVERNAME > Media Images > /usr/tmp)

    8.Now we need to get the smb.conf file ready for this server. I have
    included a sample in this document, but if the site have anythin other
    than the default Visionfs setup then you may need to alter this a
    bit.

    NOTE: If you want to check the users that they currently have
    installed in Visionfs do /usr/vision/bin/visionfs password -list' and
    if you do '/usr/vision/bin/visionfs share -list' to list all the
    shared directories.

    9.Backup the existing /etc/samba/smb.conf file to /etc/samba/
    smb.conf.bak. Now create a new smb.conf file with the details from
    below.

    10.Now shut down Visionfs buy doing. '/usr/vision/bin/visionfs stop'
    This will now disconnect all the workstations from the network drive.

    11.Enable samba by doing '/etc/init.d/smb enable' then start it up by
    doing '/etc/rc2.d/S99smbd start'

    12.Add the required samba users by doing 'smbpasswd -a USERNAME' for
    the users you want.

    Hope this helps.

    P.S. I got all the required files from the SCO site or the Skunkware
    site (from memory)

  4. Re: Can't map unix drive in Vista Premiium

    On Sep 18, 7:00 am, crym...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]

    > NOTE: If you want to check the users that they currently have
    > installed in Visionfs do /usr/vision/bin/visionfs password -list' and
    > if you do '/usr/vision/bin/visionfs share -list' to list all the
    > shared directories.
    >
    > 9.Backup the existing /etc/samba/smb.conf file to /etc/samba/
    > smb.conf.bak. Now create a new smb.conf file with the details from
    > below.
    >
    > 10.Now shut down Visionfs buy doing. '/usr/vision/bin/visionfs stop'
    > This will now disconnect all the workstations from the network drive.
    >
    > 11.Enable samba by doing '/etc/init.d/smb enable' then start it up by
    > doing '/etc/rc2.d/S99smbd start'
    >
    > 12.Add the required samba users by doing 'smbpasswd -a USERNAME' for
    > the users you want.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    > P.S. I got all the required files from the SCO site or the Skunkware

    Please note that Samba version 3.0.20 is available on the 5.0.7
    Supplement CD 5.
    http://www.sco.com/support/update/do...se.php?rid=187
    The release notes indicate that 5.0.6 is supported with rs506a loaded.

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread