SCOX are bankrupt - SCO

This is a discussion on SCOX are bankrupt - SCO ; Time to move to Linux guys. http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070914/laf040.html?.v=101...

  1. SCOX are bankrupt

  2. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    In article <1189798437.651291.130320@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups. com>,
    eaglealan64 wrote:
    >Time to move to Linux guys.
    >
    >http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070914/laf040.html?.v=101

    Why, when even if we had to, would we not go to something far better
    like FreeBSD or Solaris.

    Dave "Not into Distro of the Week Fever" Gresham

  3. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    eaglealan64 wrote:
    >Time to move to Linux guys.
    >
    >http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070914/laf040.html?.v=101

    A lot of companies have filed chapter 11 and emerged successfully.
    Delta Airlines, K-Mart, United Airlines, and dozens of others.

    Chapter 11 lets you keep operating while working out the details
    needed to continue operation and emerge from bankruptcy.

    And there are better OSes for servers to migrate to than
    Linux IMO.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  4. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    > Why, when even if we had to, would we not go to something far better
    > like FreeBSD or Solaris.
    >

    > Dave "Not into Distro of the Week Fever" Gresham

    but but but... they're so kewwwwl and prettttty

    -bkw

  5. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    Bill Vermillion wrote:

    > A lot of companies have filed chapter 11 and emerged successfully.
    > Delta Airlines, K-Mart, United Airlines, and dozens of others.
    >
    > Chapter 11 lets you keep operating while working out the details
    > needed to continue operation and emerge from bankruptcy.

    Just keep telling yourself that. Chapter 11 doesn't protect companies from
    court judgments, especially when it comes to conversion.

    "to our utter distruction" (ralph yarro) indeed

    > And there are better OSes for servers to migrate to than
    > Linux IMO.

    But wait, didn't linux steal all of SCO's code? Isn't Linux an unauthorized
    clone of SCO unix? That's what they kept saying.

    "Linux doesn't exist. Everyone knows Linux is an unlicensed version of
    Unix," - Kieran O'Shaugnessy

    What are you all going to do when SCO software is completely unsupported?
    Novell "owns" the copyrights to SCO's Unix, and Novell wants you to go to
    Linux.

    --
    BMO

  6. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    In article ,
    Boyle M. Owl wrote:
    >Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >
    >> A lot of companies have filed chapter 11 and emerged successfully.
    >> Delta Airlines, K-Mart, United Airlines, and dozens of others.
    >>
    >> Chapter 11 lets you keep operating while working out the details
    >> needed to continue operation and emerge from bankruptcy.

    >Just keep telling yourself that. Chapter 11 doesn't protect companies from
    >court judgments, especially when it comes to conversion.
    >
    >"to our utter distruction" (ralph yarro) indeed

    >> And there are better OSes for servers to migrate to than
    >> Linux IMO.

    >But wait, didn't linux steal all of SCO's code? Isn't Linux an unauthorized
    >clone of SCO unix? That's what they kept saying.

    >"Linux doesn't exist. Everyone knows Linux is an unlicensed version of
    >Unix," - Kieran O'Shaugnessy

    There are only a few verrsion of Unix [officially sanctioned and
    licensed to use the name] and one of the latest additions to
    that fold - certified by opengroup.org in May - is Apple's version
    of OS/X - the forthcoming 'Leopard' aka OS/X 10.5.

    >What are you all going to do when SCO software is completely
    >unsupported? Novell "owns" the copyrights to SCO's Unix, and
    >Novell wants you to go to Linux.

    I've made a decent amount of money over the years supporing
    unsupported/defunct products.

    As to Novell wanting users to to to Linux - I'll stick with
    my FreeBSD servers. One was up for over 700 days running mail
    services. The only patches were for some programs which only
    needed a recompile and install without bringing the OS down.

    And as for Novell's version of Linux - SuSE - my impression is they
    changed things just for the sake of change to differentiate
    themselves from other.

    Don't forget that Solaris 10 is now FREE.

    And that's a SysV environment that's pretty standard.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  7. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    On Sat, Sep 15, 2007, Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >In article ,
    >Boyle M. Owl wrote:
    >>Bill Vermillion wrote:

    >There are only a few verrsion of Unix [officially sanctioned and
    >licensed to use the name] and one of the latest additions to
    >that fold - certified by opengroup.org in May - is Apple's version
    >of OS/X - the forthcoming 'Leopard' aka OS/X 10.5.
    >
    >>What are you all going to do when SCO software is completely
    >>unsupported? Novell "owns" the copyrights to SCO's Unix, and
    >>Novell wants you to go to Linux.

    >I've made a decent amount of money over the years supporing
    >unsupported/defunct products.
    >
    >As to Novell wanting users to to to Linux - I'll stick with
    >my FreeBSD servers. One was up for over 700 days running mail
    >services. The only patches were for some programs which only
    >needed a recompile and install without bringing the OS down.
    >
    >And as for Novell's version of Linux - SuSE - my impression is they
    >changed things just for the sake of change to differentiate
    >themselves from other.

    Most of the difference I've found with SuSE are excellent
    administration tools in yast2 -- at least since SuSE 8.0 when
    they went away from the monolithic configuration file to a system
    that allows one to edit normal text files which then are honored
    by yast2 where the older systems nuked any manual changes.

    I've been doing a fair amount with CentOS for the last month or
    so, and have had some surprises with things that CentOS doesn't
    support by default (e.g. Firewire and xfs file systems which I've
    been using in SuSE for several years).

    Let's not forget that it was Novell that hammered the nails in
    SCO's coffin.

    Bill

    Lord, the money we do spend on Government and it's not one bit better
    than the government we got for one third the money twenty years ago.
    Will Rogers

  8. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    On Sep 15, 7:41 am, "Boyle M. Owl"
    wrote:
    > What are you all going to do when SCO software is completely unsupported?
    > Novell "owns" the copyrights to SCO's Unix, and Novell wants you to go to
    > Linux.
    >
    > --
    > BMO

    The possibilities are:
    1. SCOg emerges from bankruptcy largely intact
    2. SCOg emerges from bankruptcy with different ownership (creditors)
    3. SCOg is liquidated with its assets (i.e., whatever the heck it was
    that Novell sold to SCO) sold off.

    In any of the alternatives UnixWare, OpenServer, and presumably ME
    still exist, still run, and are still owned by someone. Indeed, since
    any of the alternatives imply some sort of resolution of the lawsuits
    and clarification of ownership the products might be better off.

    The only outcome that might cause an immediate need to switch is if
    someone buys it just to bury it. At the moment I'm thinking of Whole
    Foods buying Wild Oats and immediately closing down our beloved
    neighborhood store.

    --RLR

  9. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    On Mon, Sep 17, 2007, ThreeStar wrote:
    >On Sep 15, 7:41 am, "Boyle M. Owl"
    > wrote:
    >> What are you all going to do when SCO software is completely unsupported?
    >> Novell "owns" the copyrights to SCO's Unix, and Novell wants you to go to
    >> Linux.
    >>
    >> --
    >> BMO

    >The possibilities are:
    >1. SCOg emerges from bankruptcy largely intact
    >2. SCOg emerges from bankruptcy with different ownership (creditors)
    >3. SCOg is liquidated with its assets (i.e., whatever the heck it was
    >that Novell sold to SCO) sold off.
    >
    >In any of the alternatives UnixWare, OpenServer, and presumably ME
    >still exist, still run, and are still owned by someone. Indeed, since
    >any of the alternatives imply some sort of resolution of the lawsuits
    >and clarification of ownership the products might be better off.
    >
    >The only outcome that might cause an immediate need to switch is if
    >someone buys it just to bury it. At the moment I'm thinking of Whole
    >Foods buying Wild Oats and immediately closing down our beloved
    >neighborhood store.

    More to the point is Microsoft's buying several Unix accounting
    software companies, then killing the Unix versions.

    Bill

    One of the common failings among honorable people is a failure to
    appreciate how thoroughly dishonorable some other people can be, and how
    dangerous it is to trust them.
    - Thomas Sowell

  10. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, ThreeStar wrote:

    > On Sep 15, 7:41 am, "Boyle M. Owl"
    > wrote:
    >> What are you all going to do when SCO software is completely unsupported?
    >> Novell "owns" the copyrights to SCO's Unix, and Novell wants you to go to
    >> Linux.
    >>
    >> --
    >> BMO

    > The possibilities are:
    > 1. SCOg emerges from bankruptcy largely intact
    > 2. SCOg emerges from bankruptcy with different ownership (creditors)
    > 3. SCOg is liquidated with its assets (i.e., whatever the heck it was
    > that Novell sold to SCO) sold off.

    Just a couple more, without much thought about it:
    4. Given the APA, Novell regains control of the Unix assets and shuts it
    down, in favor of Novell's Linux assets.
    5. The Unix team disperses and the Unix products cannot be developed and
    supported.

    > In any of the alternatives UnixWare, OpenServer, and presumably ME
    > still exist, still run, and are still owned by someone. Indeed, since
    > any of the alternatives imply some sort of resolution of the lawsuits
    > and clarification of ownership the products might be better off.

    Have you seen what the total employee count is down to now (~120)? There
    cannot be many coders left, so the future viability of SCO's Unix products
    has to be very low.

  11. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, Bill Campbell wrote:

    > On Sat, Sep 15, 2007, Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >
    > Let's not forget that it was Novell that hammered the nails in
    > SCO's coffin.

    By doing what? Responding to a lawsuit that SCO's management started? Get
    a grip!

  12. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    In article ,
    Whoever wrote:

    >On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, Bill Campbell wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, Sep 15, 2007, Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >>
    >> Let's not forget that it was Novell that hammered the nails in
    >> SCO's coffin.

    >By doing what? Responding to a lawsuit that SCO's management started? Get
    >a grip!

    Your attribution makes it look like I said that, which I did not.

    It was 'the other bill' who wrote that.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  13. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    On Sep 17, 1:38 pm, ThreeStar wrote:
    > The possibilities are:
    > 1. SCOg emerges from bankruptcy largely intact
    > 2. SCOg emerges from bankruptcy with different ownership (creditors)
    > 3. SCOg is liquidated with its assets (i.e., whatever the heck it was
    > that Novell sold to SCO) sold off.
    >
    > In any of the alternatives UnixWare, OpenServer, and presumably ME
    > still exist, still run, and are still owned by someone. Indeed, since
    > any of the alternatives imply some sort of resolution of the lawsuits
    > and clarification of ownership the products might be better off.

    Given that (a) the judge in SCO v. Novell confirmed that Novell holds
    the UNIX copyrights, (b) the Novell -> Santa Cruz deal specifically
    sends it all back to Novell if the other side goes bankrupt and (c)
    that SCO owes some (likely major) percentage of the Sun & Microsoft
    monies to Novell as SVRX fees, option 1 is very unlikely.

    Option 3 is a non-starter since SCO never owned the copyrights; they
    could sell whatever additions they made to the SVRX base for Unixware,
    and their ME stuff, but how much is that actually worth?

    Given Options 1 and 3 are shot, what's left for anyone to run under
    option 2?

    Novell technically has back the UNIX business from SCO as of the
    Chapter 11 filing Friday. Their lawyers are arguing with the
    bankruptcy judge to let Kimball back in Utah set the amount of money
    owed them before proceeding with the Chapter 11, so the bankruptcy
    judge will have the full financial story (plausible). SCOX is walking
    dead; anyone not planning a migration to a more viable platform ASAP
    is only fooling themselves.

  14. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Bill Vermillion wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Whoever wrote:
    >>

    >> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, Bill Campbell wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, Sep 15, 2007, Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Let's not forget that it was Novell that hammered the nails in
    >>> SCO's coffin.

    >> By doing what? Responding to a lawsuit that SCO's management started? Get
    >> a grip!

    > Your attribution makes it look like I said that, which I did not.
    >
    > It was 'the other bill' who wrote that.

    My apologies for the incorrect editing by me.

  15. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    On Sep 18, 7:55 am, "rkhallo...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > On Sep 17, 1:38 pm, ThreeStar wrote:
    >
    > > The possibilities are:
    > > 1. SCOg emerges from bankruptcy largely intact
    > > 2. SCOg emerges from bankruptcy with different ownership (creditors)
    > > 3. SCOg is liquidated with its assets (i.e., whatever the heck it was
    > > that Novell sold to SCO) sold off.

    > > In any of the alternatives UnixWare, OpenServer, and presumably ME
    > > still exist, still run, and are still owned by someone. Indeed, since
    > > any of the alternatives imply some sort of resolution of the lawsuits
    > > and clarification of ownership the products might be better off.

    > Given that (a) the judge in SCO v. Novell confirmed that Novell holds
    > the UNIX copyrights, (b) the Novell -> Santa Cruz deal specifically
    > sends it all back to Novell if the other side goes bankrupt and (c)
    > that SCO owes some (likely major) percentage of the Sun & Microsoft
    > monies to Novell as SVRX fees, option 1 is very unlikely.
    >
    > Option 3 is a non-starter since SCO never owned the copyrights; they
    > could sell whatever additions they made to the SVRX base for Unixware,
    > and their ME stuff, but how much is that actually worth?
    >
    > Given Options 1 and 3 are shot, what's left for anyone to run under
    > option 2?
    >
    > Novell technically has back the UNIX business from SCO as of the
    > Chapter 11 filing Friday. Their lawyers are arguing with the
    > bankruptcy judge to let Kimball back in Utah set the amount of money
    > owed them before proceeding with the Chapter 11, so the bankruptcy
    > judge will have the full financial story (plausible). SCOX is walking
    > dead; anyone not planning a migration to a more viable platform ASAP
    > is only fooling themselves.

    Don't be a FUD merchant.

    Bankruptcy law governs the distribution of assets, and that includes
    supposed reversion of rights under a contract clause. You can't
    contract away your right to file bankruptcy. Even if the clause has
    meaning in the current circumstances, which I doubt, the automatic
    stay left whatever Unix rights SCO acquired in their hands.

    --RLR

  16. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    In article ,
    Whoever wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, ThreeStar wrote:
    >
    >> On Sep 15, 7:41 am, "Boyle M. Owl"
    >> wrote:
    >>> What are you all going to do when SCO software is completely unsupported?
    >>> Novell "owns" the copyrights to SCO's Unix, and Novell wants you to go to
    >>> Linux.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> BMO

    >> The possibilities are:
    >> 1. SCOg emerges from bankruptcy largely intact
    >> 2. SCOg emerges from bankruptcy with different ownership (creditors)
    >> 3. SCOg is liquidated with its assets (i.e., whatever the heck it was
    >> that Novell sold to SCO) sold off.

    >Just a couple more, without much thought about it: 4. Given the
    >APA, Novell regains control of the Unix assets and shuts it down,
    >in favor of Novell's Linux assets.

    >5. The Unix team disperses and the Unix products cannot be
    >developed and supported.

    Which leave the current Unix vendors locked into their presenet
    licenses - which includes HP, Sun, IBM? and others.

    And then there is FreeBSD which sprang from the Version 7 and
    System III, and feels a lot like true Unix. And it was freed
    from the bonds of AT&T and the original licenses in a
    trial where each sued the other.

    Unix is not going to go away - even if Novell attempts to shut it
    down - which seem ridiculous on the face of it.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  17. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    On Sep 19, 11:41 am, ThreeStar wrote:
    > Don't be a FUD merchant.
    >
    > Bankruptcy law governs the distribution of assets, and that includes
    > supposed reversion of rights under a contract clause. You can't
    > contract away your right to file bankruptcy. Even if the clause has
    > meaning in the current circumstances, which I doubt, the automatic
    > stay left whatever Unix rights SCO acquired in their hands.
    >
    > --RLR

    Kimball had ALREADY RULED in Novell's favor a couple of weeks ago; all
    SCO is holding at this point for copyrighted material is whatever
    they've added since the Novell contract. They're perfectly able to
    market that, or ME, for whatever they can get.

    Then add that (a) they filed immediately before the bench trial in
    Utah as to how much they owed back to Novell and (b) without that
    hanging over them, they'd be marginally solvent. This won't look good
    to either judge.

    The only FUD has been four-plus years of the current management trying
    to claim ownership of Linux while reaching for your wallet.

  18. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    rkhalloran@gmail.com wrote:

    > anyone not planning a migration to a more viable platform ASAP
    > is only fooling themselves.

    I don't imagine that any of the regular readers of c.u.s.m. are
    particularly surprised by recent events. Current threats to the
    viability of what was the Unix business of the Santa Cruz Operation have
    their roots nearly fifteen years ago.

    Thanks for your concern, but I don't think anyone in c.u.s.m. has been
    sleepwalking for those fifteen years!

  19. Re: SCOX are bankrupt

    "RedGrittyBrick" wrote in message
    > rkhalloran@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > anyone not planning a migration to a more viable platform ASAP
    > > is only fooling themselves.

    > I don't imagine that any of the regular readers of c.u.s.m. are
    > particularly surprised by recent events. Current threats to the
    > viability of what was the Unix business of the Santa Cruz Operation have
    > their roots nearly fifteen years ago.
    >
    > Thanks for your concern, but I don't think anyone in c.u.s.m. has been
    > sleepwalking for those fifteen years!

    Not only are they up to date on the state of this case, they are also very
    knowledgable of where to take their software, their customers, and their
    future business. More importantly, this whole sordid affair simply brings
    to the forefront the need to never get too comfortable with what you have.
    First it was AT&T passing the reins of SysV to another Vendor, then that
    Vendor hands it over to yet another. In turn that third Vendor then
    abandons Xenix, ultimately aborts Unix (in favor of Linux) then corrupts the
    whole corporate package with poor management decisions driven by greed and
    the desire for power. This is just one more saga of big business in the
    hands of incompetence. It will happen again, you can bet on it. Not this
    Vendor but another, not this Unix but another, not this year but another.

+ Reply to Thread