samba - vista - smbclient - SCO

This is a discussion on samba - vista - smbclient - SCO ; Can anyone help re following: I am trying to print to a shared Vista printer over a VPN using Sonicwall Global VPN client and each attempt results in the following error: session setup failed: NT_STATUS_OK If I use the smbclient ...

  1. samba - vista - smbclient

    Can anyone help re following:

    I am trying to print to a shared Vista printer over a VPN using Sonicwall
    Global VPN client and each attempt results in the following error:

    session setup failed: NT_STATUS_OK

    If I use the smbclient -L option, I get following:

    # smbclient -L \\ralph-pc
    Password:
    Anonymous login successful
    Domain=[LTL] OS=[Windows Vista (TM) Business 6000] Server=[Windows
    Vista (TM) Business 6.0]

    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    Anonymous login successful
    Domain=[LTL] OS=[Windows Vista (TM) Business 6000]
    Server=[Windows Vista (TM) Business 6.0]

    Server Comment
    --------- -------
    RALPH-PC

    Workgroup Master
    --------- -------
    LTL

  2. Re: samba - vista - smbclient

    On Sep 10, 6:41 pm, "Ron Kirschner" wrote:
    > Can anyone help re following:
    >
    > I am trying to print to a shared Vista printer over a VPN using Sonicwall
    > Global VPN client and each attempt results in the following error:
    >
    > session setup failed: NT_STATUS_OK
    >
    > If I use the smbclient -L option, I get following:
    >
    > # smbclient -L \\ralph-pc
    > Password:
    > Anonymous login successful
    > Domain=[LTL] OS=[Windows Vista (TM) Business 6000] Server=[Windows
    > Vista (TM) Business 6.0]
    >
    > Sharename Type Comment
    > --------- ---- -------
    > Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    > Anonymous login successful
    > Domain=[LTL] OS=[Windows Vista (TM) Business 6000]
    > Server=[Windows Vista (TM) Business 6.0]
    >
    > Server Comment
    > --------- -------
    > RALPH-PC
    >
    > Workgroup Master
    > --------- -------
    > LTL

    Are you trying to use anonymous login? Set up a user account and
    password
    and try "smbclient -L \\ralph-pc -Uusername".

    Mike

  3. Re: samba - vista - smbclient

    I had already tried that - authenticated user or anonymous had same result

    "scoace" wrote in message
    news:1190226338.998276.145000@22g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...
    > On Sep 10, 6:41 pm, "Ron Kirschner" wrote:
    >> Can anyone help re following:
    >>
    >> I am trying to print to a shared Vista printer over a VPN using Sonicwall
    >> Global VPN client and each attempt results in the following error:
    >>
    >> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_OK
    >>
    >> If I use the smbclient -L option, I get following:
    >>
    >> # smbclient -L \\ralph-pc
    >> Password:
    >> Anonymous login successful
    >> Domain=[LTL] OS=[Windows Vista (TM) Business 6000] Server=[Windows
    >> Vista (TM) Business 6.0]
    >>
    >> Sharename Type Comment
    >> --------- ---- -------
    >> Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    >> Anonymous login successful
    >> Domain=[LTL] OS=[Windows Vista (TM) Business 6000]
    >> Server=[Windows Vista (TM) Business 6.0]
    >>
    >> Server Comment
    >> --------- -------
    >> RALPH-PC
    >>
    >> Workgroup Master
    >> --------- -------
    >> LTL

    > Are you trying to use anonymous login? Set up a user account and
    > password
    > and try "smbclient -L \\ralph-pc -Uusername".
    >
    > Mike

  4. Re: samba - vista - smbclient

    On Sep 20, 8:57 am, "Ron Kirschner" wrote:
    > I had already tried that - authenticated user or anonymous had same result
    >
    > "scoace" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1190226338.998276.145000@22g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...
    >
    > > On Sep 10, 6:41 pm, "Ron Kirschner" wrote:
    > >> Can anyone help re following:

    > >> I am trying to print to a shared Vista printer over a VPN using Sonicwall
    > >> Global VPN client and each attempt results in the following error:

    > >> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_OK

    > >> If I use the smbclient -L option, I get following:

    > >> # smbclient -L \\ralph-pc
    > >> Password:
    > >> Anonymous login successful
    > >> Domain=[LTL] OS=[Windows Vista (TM) Business 6000] Server=[Windows
    > >> Vista (TM) Business 6.0]

    > >> Sharename Type Comment
    > >> --------- ---- -------
    > >> Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    > >> Anonymous login successful
    > >> Domain=[LTL] OS=[Windows Vista (TM) Business 6000]
    > >> Server=[Windows Vista (TM) Business 6.0]

    > >> Server Comment
    > >> --------- -------
    > >> RALPH-PC

    > >> Workgroup Master
    > >> --------- -------
    > >> LTL

    > > Are you trying to use anonymous login? Set up a user account and
    > > password
    > > and try "smbclient -L \\ralph-pc -Uusername".

    > > Mike

    Doesn't Vista by default like Windows 2003 not support the NTMLv2
    security that Samba's using? I don't know if it's just a registry
    hack to turn it on if it's something programmatic.

    --RLR

  5. Re: samba - vista - smbclient

    Already found and changed that setting. This seems to be a problem with the
    VPN client only, as local printers share Okay.

    "ThreeStar" wrote in message
    news:1190307773.384171.227080@e34g2000pro.googlegr oups.com...
    > On Sep 20, 8:57 am, "Ron Kirschner" wrote:
    >> I had already tried that - authenticated user or anonymous had same
    >> result
    >>
    >> "scoace" wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:1190226338.998276.145000@22g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...

    >> > Are you trying to use anonymous login? Set up a user account and
    >> > password
    >> > and try "smbclient -L \\ralph-pc -Uusername".

    >> > Mike

    > Doesn't Vista by default like Windows 2003 not support the NTMLv2
    > security that Samba's using? I don't know if it's just a registry
    > hack to turn it on if it's something programmatic.
    >
    > --RLR

  6. Re: samba - vista - smbclient

    > On Sep 20, 8:57 am, "Ron Kirschner" wrote:
    >> I had already tried that - authenticated user or anonymous had same
    >> result
    >>
    >> "scoace" wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:1190226338.998276.145000@22g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...

    >> > Are you trying to use anonymous login? Set up a user account and
    >> > password
    >> > and try "smbclient -L \\ralph-pc -Uusername".

    >> > Mike

    > Doesn't Vista by default like Windows 2003 not support the NTMLv2
    > security that Samba's using? I don't know if it's just a registry
    > hack to turn it on if it's something programmatic.
    >
    > --RLR

    There is more than one problem, though they are related or maybe they are
    really the same root cause but it shows up a couple different ways that
    don't look related from the outside.

    I got a new laptop with vista recently and tried to use the vista backup
    util to do a backup to a samba share on an opensuse box. There were some new
    authentication issues at first which I got past in a few minutes and I had
    vista able to create dirs and files on the share in explorer no problem. But
    the backup util tickles something that most other things don't happen to
    tickle and so the backup kept failing. That turned out to be fixed by a more
    recent version of samba.

    Very recent versions of samba can handle Vista by default, older ones can
    have a patch applied and recompiled, (though if you can recompile, might as
    well just compile the latest version instead), still older versions (and all
    other smb servers like facetwin and visionfs) can work but require a setting
    change in the vista machine. I think it's not even necessary to use regedit
    do change the setting.

    Just google samba vista or samba vista backup and read all about it.
    Although, discard the beginnings of most web forum threads where it's
    discussed and "answered", a lot of the early answers are wrong, as are a lot
    of the problem reports where the person doesn't actually know what problem
    he has and describes it in terms of what he thinks is going on instead of
    strictly in terms of what he did and saw. I guess I could have retraced my
    steps when I wanted to use windows backup to write a backup of a new laptop
    to a samba share, and provided the end result directly by now instead of
    writing this paragraph. Sorry.

    One nice thing about Linux, when hit this issue, it only took me a few
    minutes to google up that samba version x.y.z (days or weeks old) and later
    addresses the issue, and then find and install the nice effortless (days or
    weeks old) rpm for my distribution and cpu type, and proceed to do the
    backup. The total interruption was only a few minutes.

  7. Re: samba - vista - smbclient

    >> On Sep 20, 8:57 am, "Ron Kirschner" wrote:
    >>> I had already tried that - authenticated user or anonymous had same
    >>> result
    >>>
    >>> "scoace" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> news:1190226338.998276.145000@22g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...

    >> Doesn't Vista by default like Windows 2003 not support the NTMLv2
    >> security that Samba's using? I don't know if it's just a registry
    >> hack to turn it on if it's something programmatic.
    >>
    >> --RLR

    > Already found and changed that setting. This seems to be a problem with
    > the VPN client only, as local printers share Okay.

    As per my other post, be aware that there is an issue that only some things
    tickle.
    With samba 3.0.23 I had vista working in most apparent respects, yet the
    vista backup util failed.
    It _looked_ like a weird permissions problem where the backup util would
    create a temp file and then claim to be unable to modify it. Even though I
    had no such permissions problems in explorer.

    Turns out to be a known problem that is fixed by just getting an even more
    recent version of samba. (3.0.24 or later)

    Googling "samba vista" gets you all the stuff about ntlmv2 and the fact that
    you need samba 3.0.22 or later.

    Googling "samba vista backup" shows that that is not the end of the story
    and gets you this other thing that involves acl's and the fact that you need
    samba 3.0.24 or later.

    Note that the most recent sco build, 3.0.20a, is too old to include even the
    partial fix.
    So if it were me I'd build the latest 3.0.26 and try that before anything
    else.

  8. Re: samba - vista - smbclient

    On Sep 20, 8:12 pm, "Brian K. White" wrote:
> [...]

    I've always installed samba as a SCO Unixware package. I downloaded
    the latest version, but am unsure how to proceed from here. Can
    anyone provide insight to this.

+ Reply to Thread