SCO full system backup on remote tape? - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO full system backup on remote tape? - SCO ; Hy everyone! I don't have much experience with SCO, so if someone could tell me how to make full system backup on SCO OpenServer 5? And another thing is, that I don't have tape device on this particular server, so ...

  1. SCO full system backup on remote tape?

    Hy everyone!
    I don't have much experience with SCO, so if someone could tell me how
    to make full system backup on SCO OpenServer 5? And another thing is,
    that I don't have tape device on this particular server, so i would
    like to create it onto remote tape device on another server.

    I have one example, but i'm not sure if it's correct.

    cd /
    find . -depth -print | cpio -ocvB > /dev/rStp0

    If this is the right way, should i just add the hostname of the remote
    server to make remote backup?

    find . -depth -print | cpio -ocvB > hostname:/dev/rStp0

    I'm just looking for the command that does the same job as "vdump"
    does on Tru64

    Tnx in advance!

  2. Re: SCO full system backup on remote tape?

    In article <1189425551.802842.100680@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups. com> Norbert writes:
    $If this is the right way, should i just add the hostname of the remote
    $server to make remote backup?
    $
    $find . -depth -print | cpio -ocvB > hostname:/dev/rStp0

    No; output can't be redirected that way. You will have to pipe it
    to a command on a remote machine. One possibility:

    your backup command | rcmd remote-machine "dd of=/dev/rStp0"

    You may want some other options to the dd command; have a look at
    the man page and see. No single backup solution fits all possible
    problems, but your find/cpio pipeline is reasonable.

    I used rcmd on the assumption that you don't need to worry about
    someone snooping on your backup as it goes across the network from
    the source machine to the destination. If that's not a valid assumption
    for you, then you'll want to consider something like ssh rather than
    rcmd; ssh will chew up a bunch of CPU cycles on both machines to
    encrypt and decrypt data, so you'd only use it rather than rcmd if
    you need the data transported in a secure fashion.
    --
    Stephen M. Dunn

  3. Re: SCO full system backup on remote tape?

    Norbert wrote:
    > Hy everyone!
    > I don't have much experience with SCO, so if someone could tell me how
    > to make full system backup on SCO OpenServer 5? And another thing is,
    > that I don't have tape device on this particular server, so i would
    > like to create it onto remote tape device on another server.
    >
    > I have one example, but i'm not sure if it's correct.
    >
    > cd /
    > find . -depth -print | cpio -ocvB > /dev/rStp0
    >
    > If this is the right way, should i just add the hostname of the remote
    > server to make remote backup?
    >
    > find . -depth -print | cpio -ocvB > hostname:/dev/rStp0
    >
    > I'm just looking for the command that does the same job as "vdump"
    > does on Tru64
    >
    > Tnx in advance!

    Get BackupEdge from www.microlite.com and forget about it.

    It's a commercial product, but well worth the price for all the features
    including secure, bit level verified FTP backup to any machine or device
    running an FTP server as well as tape devices attached to other SCO
    servers on the network.

    Plus a world class 'one button' emergency restore of your entire system
    to brand new hard drives after a catastrophic drive failure.

    Disclaimer: UBB is a Microlite dealer.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com