Serial Communication - SCO OSR507 VMWare Fusion Virtual Machine - SCO

This is a discussion on Serial Communication - SCO OSR507 VMWare Fusion Virtual Machine - SCO ; Ok, here is what I am trying to do... On the Mac OS X side I have an IOGear GBS301 Bluetooth to Serial Adapter paired and configured as "Port Name" com1. It shows up in /dev as cu.com1 and tty.com1. ...

  1. Serial Communication - SCO OSR507 VMWare Fusion Virtual Machine

    Ok, here is what I am trying to do...

    On the Mac OS X side I have an IOGear GBS301 Bluetooth to Serial
    Adapter paired and configured as "Port Name" com1. It shows up in /dev
    as cu.com1 and tty.com1.

    On the VMWare side I have SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 setup as a virtual
    machine and I would like to have access to the above mentioned serial
    port from within the virtual machine. I can add a "Serial Port" to the
    virtual machine (and point it to the above mentioned /dev files) and
    it appears to connect but I don't know how to figure out which, if
    any, device it is in the /dev directory of the virtual machine. Also,
    I really don't know what the difference between the cu.com1 and
    tty.com1 files are.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

  2. Re: Serial Communication - SCO OSR507 VMWare Fusion Virtual Machine

    "jdudley" wrote:

    > Ok, here is what I am trying to do...
    >
    > On the Mac OS X side I have an IOGear GBS301 Bluetooth to Serial
    > Adapter paired and configured as "Port Name" com1. It shows up in /dev
    > as cu.com1 and tty.com1.
    >
    > On the VMWare side I have SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 setup as a virtual
    > machine and I would like to have access to the above mentioned serial
    > port from within the virtual machine. I can add a "Serial Port" to the
    > virtual machine (and point it to the above mentioned /dev files) and
    > it appears to connect but I don't know how to figure out which, if
    > any, device it is in the /dev directory of the virtual machine. Also,
    > I really don't know what the difference between the cu.com1 and
    > tty.com1 files are.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.

    Answering your question requires integration of knowledge about (1) Mac
    OS/X, (2) VMware Fusion, (3) SCO OpenServer, and (4) PC hardware in
    general. I know a lot about 3 & 4, a bit about 2, very little about 1,
    but I can make intelligent guesses...

    >From the names alone, I would guess that "tty.com1" operates the serial

    port as a local device, without regard to modem control lines like DCD,
    DTR and DSR. "cu.com1" would be the same physical port, now paying
    attention to modem control lines. (I haven't mentioned flow control
    lines RTS/CTS because those are also used in some local communications
    protocols, so it's likely that both port names allow RTS/CTS flow
    control to be turned on.) What any of those "serial pins" mean with
    respect to a BlueTooth-to-serial adapter, I have no idea.

    You will probably have better luck if you start with the
    non-modem-control device, which is probably "tty". Though I could have
    guessed that backwards, so you'll want to check some Mac-knowledgable
    source on that part.

    Inside VMware, unless Fusion is more different than I would expect from
    Workstation, the VM will have initially come up with a single assigned
    serial port. If you changed the configuration of that port, the VM will
    be seeing it as "COM1" in PC terms. If you added a second port, it will
    be "COM2".

    Inside the OSR5 VM, OpenServer will announce COM1 as "%serial ... unit=0"
    and COM2 as "... unit=1"; device nodes for these are 1-based, let me
    give you a little table:

    BIOS/DOS name Boot time Device nodes
    COM1 %serial ... unit=0 /dev/tty1[aA]
    COM2 %serial ... unit=1 /dev/tty2[aA]

    Here the 'A' devices are modem control, 'a' are local. You will again
    have better luck with /dev/tty1a, leave modem control for later if it
    turns out you need it.

    In sum, you should probably already be seeing "%serial ... unit=0" and
    /dev/tty1a should get you access to the BlueTooth device.

    >Bela<

+ Reply to Thread