printing problems on printing /dev/lp0 using SCO6 - SCO

This is a discussion on printing problems on printing /dev/lp0 using SCO6 - SCO ; Hello All, We have recently 3 customers upgraded from SCO5 TO SCO6. They working great for 98%, but there are still problems on SCO6. One customer put his zebra printer directly /dev/lp0. Before the upgrade, the printer reacts at it ...

  1. printing problems on printing /dev/lp0 using SCO6

    Hello All,

    We have recently 3 customers upgraded from SCO5 TO SCO6.
    They working great for 98%, but there are still problems on SCO6.

    One customer put his zebra printer directly /dev/lp0.
    Before the upgrade, the printer reacts at it should be. But know the
    stickers are sometimes stunted. Even when they want to have 10 stickers,
    it will only print 9.

    All patches are installed. The server uses LPD for printing.
    First I thought it was a problem for only this server, but I could
    reproduce it on my office too.

    Is this an known problem and will there be a patch available for it?

    The other printers, connected remotely, working fine.

    Please help.

    Regards,
    John Kuiper

  2. Re: printing problems on printing /dev/lp0 using SCO6

    On 29 Aug, 15:07, jkuiper wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > We have recently 3 customers upgraded from SCO5 TO SCO6.
    > They working great for 98%, but there are still problems on SCO6.
    >
    > One customer put his zebra printer directly /dev/lp0.
    > Before the upgrade, the printer reacts at it should be. But know the
    > stickers are sometimes stunted. Even when they want to have 10 stickers,
    > it will only print 9.

    John,

    What printer interface script is your customer using? It could be
    that
    this script needs some tweaking to work with OpenServer 6?

    > All patches are installed. The server uses LPD for printing.
    > First I thought it was a problem for only this server, but I could
    > reproduce it on my office too.
    >
    > Is this an known problem and will there be a patch available for it?

    I dont believe that is is a known issue. As a start I would

    - see if the printer works when connected to a serial port
    or as a network printer
    - if the printer interface script is from a 3rd party, see if
    they have an updated script for OpenServer6
    - Try printing to a file and comparing the differences between the
    outupt on OpenServer 5 and 6
    - Try printing using CUPS

    John

  3. Re: printing problems on printing /dev/lp0 using SCO6

    "jkuiper" wrote in message
    news:46d56faf$0$25500$9a622dc7@news.kpnplanet.nl.. .
    > Hello All,
    >
    > We have recently 3 customers upgraded from SCO5 TO SCO6.
    > They working great for 98%, but there are still problems on SCO6.
    >
    > One customer put his zebra printer directly /dev/lp0.
    > Before the upgrade, the printer reacts at it should be. But know the stickers are
    > sometimes stunted. Even when they want to have 10 stickers, it will only print 9.
    >
    > All patches are installed. The server uses LPD for printing.
    > First I thought it was a problem for only this server, but I could reproduce it on my
    > office too.
    >
    > Is this an known problem and will there be a patch available for it?
    >
    > The other printers, connected remotely, working fine.
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John Kuiper

    Try adding either a sleep 3 command to the end of the printer interface
    script, just before the exit 0, or add an stty time 30 < /dev/lp0 near the
    start of the script to increase the delay time when the port is closed to
    allow the parallel port buffer to empty.

    Bob

  4. Re: printing problems on printing /dev/lp0 using SCO6

    Hello John,

    jboland@sco.com wrote:

    > What printer interface script is your customer using? It could be
    > that this script needs some tweaking to work with OpenServer 6?

    It's a very simple script (see below):

    #interfacescript

    copies=$4
    shift; shift; shift; shift; shift
    files="$*"
    i=1
    while [ $i -le $copies ]
    do
    for file in $files
    do
    cat "$file" 2>&1
    done
    i=`expr $i + 1`
    done
    exit 0

    #end of interfacescript.

    This script is working now almost 15 years on SCO5

    > I dont believe that is is a known issue. As a start I would
    >
    > - see if the printer works when connected to a serial port
    > or as a network printer
    > - if the printer interface script is from a 3rd party, see if
    > they have an updated script for OpenServer6
    > - Try printing to a file and comparing the differences between the
    > outupt on OpenServer 5 and 6
    > - Try printing using CUPS

    I put the printer as a networkprinter and works okay.
    All other printers are networkprinters and have no problems at all.
    Printing to a file on SCO6 has given the same result as on SCO5.
    How to print with CUPS and why?. All other printers are working fine on
    LPD and when a printer uses /dev/lp0, it's not using LPD.

    SCO6 should be 100% compatible with SCO5.

    Regards,
    John

  5. Re: printing problems on printing /dev/lp0 using SCO6

    On Aug 31, 12:51 am, jkuiper wrote:
    > Hello John,
    >
    > jbol...@sco.com wrote:
    >
    > > What printer interface script is your customer using? It could be
    > > that this script needs some tweaking to work with OpenServer 6?

    > It's a very simple script (see below):
    >
    > #interfacescript
    >
    > copies=$4
    > shift; shift; shift; shift; shift
    > files="$*"
    > i=1
    > while [ $i -le $copies ]
    > do
    > for file in $files
    > do
    > cat "$file" 2>&1
    > done
    > i=`expr $i + 1`
    > done
    > exit 0
    >
    > #end of interfacescript.
    >
    > This script is working now almost 15 years on SCO5
    >

    > > I dont believe that is is a known issue. As a start I would

    > > - see if the printer works when connected to a serial port
    > > or as a network printer
    > > - if the printer interface script is from a 3rd party, see if
    > > they have an updated script for OpenServer6
    > > - Try printing to a file and comparing the differences between the
    > > outupt on OpenServer 5 and 6
    > > - Try printing using CUPS

    > I put the printer as a networkprinter and works okay.
    > All other printers are networkprinters and have no problems at all.
    > Printing to a file on SCO6 has given the same result as on SCO5.
    > How to print with CUPS and why?. All other printers are working fine on
    > LPD and when a printer uses /dev/lp0, it's not using LPD.
    >
    > SCO6 should be 100% compatible with SCO5.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John

    SCO6's print system actually runs on CUPS anyway. They did a good job
    with it and I haven't run across incompatibilities with the print
    spooler per se. But that doesn't mean there might not be subtle
    differences with the /dev/lp0 driver, which is where your experiences
    suggest the problem lies.

    You might compare your script to the supplied "dumb" interface. It
    does a few things yours doesn't, such as drain output and send form
    feeds. I second Bob Bailin's suggestions regarding stty settings.
    Cf. the "standard" interface.

    --RLR

  6. Re: printing problems on printing /dev/lp0 using SCO6

    Hello John,

    The problem relies to our interfacescript. It's a very old one and not
    compatible with SCO6. I used the dumpinterface and everything works okay
    as far as I now.

    Regards,
    John Kuiper

    jkuiper wrote:
    > Hello John,
    >
    > jboland@sco.com wrote:
    >>
    >> What printer interface script is your customer using? It could be
    >> that this script needs some tweaking to work with OpenServer 6?

+ Reply to Thread