Where's the 6.0.0 DNS Manager wizard? - SCO

This is a discussion on Where's the 6.0.0 DNS Manager wizard? - SCO ; Hi. With Unixware 7.1.x you can do scoadmin "DNS Manager" and setup your DNS server by answering questions. I expected to find it on 6.0.0 with MP2 and OSS706C after I installed it on an old Dell a client had ...

  1. Where's the 6.0.0 DNS Manager wizard?

    Hi.

    With Unixware 7.1.x you can do scoadmin "DNS Manager" and setup your DNS
    server by answering questions.

    I expected to find it on 6.0.0 with MP2 and OSS706C after I installed it
    on an old Dell a client had available. No joy.

    The install itself went in without a hiccup, it even auto detected the
    3com nic and the network came up like a champ after the install finished.

    Some background:

    Their Windows based DNS would not play nice with some software installed
    on an SCO 5.0.7 server that required a working local (behind the
    firewall) DNS.

    Their local Windows guy could not figure how to get their Windows DNS
    server to respond to (for example) nslookup, which also failed when run
    from an XP desktop. It seemed to me to be insisting on using only WINS
    and/or Netbios to resolve names.

    So I suggested trying OS6 on his old Dell and pointing the 5.0.7 server
    there for it's internal DNS lookups.

    I've never needed to setup a DNS sever on 6.0 before, but I had assumed
    that DNS Manager would be there since the kernel was based on Unixware.

    I really don't want to wade through the 6.0 docs that just explain a
    bazillion options without offering some examples of a common setup.

    Would the 7.1.4 DNS Manager work under 6.0? Or can someone point me to a
    web site with simple working DNS samples under 6.0? SCO's Knowledge
    base and online Docs had little or nothing to offer.

    TIA.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  2. Re: Where's the 6.0.0 DNS Manager wizard?

    On Aug 28, 3:25 am, Pat Welch wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > With Unixware 7.1.x you can do scoadmin "DNS Manager" and setup your DNS
    > server by answering questions.
    >
    > I expected to find it on 6.0.0 with MP2 and OSS706C after I installed it
    > on an old Dell a client had available. No joy.
    >
    > The install itself went in without a hiccup, it even auto detected the
    > 3com nic and the network came up like a champ after the install finished.
    >
    > Some background:
    >
    > Their Windows based DNS would not play nice with some software installed
    > on an SCO 5.0.7 server that required a working local (behind the
    > firewall) DNS.
    >
    > Their local Windows guy could not figure how to get their Windows DNS
    > server to respond to (for example) nslookup, which also failed when run
    > from an XP desktop. It seemed to me to be insisting on using only WINS
    > and/or Netbios to resolve names.
    >
    > So I suggested trying OS6 on his old Dell and pointing the 5.0.7 server
    > there for it's internal DNS lookups.
    >
    > I've never needed to setup a DNS sever on 6.0 before, but I had assumed
    > that DNS Manager would be there since the kernel was based on Unixware.
    >
    > I really don't want to wade through the 6.0 docs that just explain a
    > bazillion options without offering some examples of a common setup.
    >
    > Would the 7.1.4 DNS Manager work under 6.0? Or can someone point me to a
    > web site with simple working DNS samples under 6.0? SCO's Knowledge
    > base and online Docs had little or nothing to offer.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > --
    > Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
    > SCO Authorized Partner
    > Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
    > (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    > E-mail: pat...@inreach.com

    See TA 107297 for instructions on setting up named. There's no
    Scoadmin manager for it that I'm aware of, although you can set up the
    BIND DNS module of Webmin.

    A broken Windows DNS, if that's what your client has, is going to be
    trouble. IMHO better to fix that than to add a duplicate name service
    on the network.

    --RLR

  3. Re: Where's the 6.0.0 DNS Manager wizard?

    ThreeStar wrote:
    > On Aug 28, 3:25 am, Pat Welch wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> With Unixware 7.1.x you can do scoadmin "DNS Manager" and setup your DNS
    >> server by answering questions.
    >>
    >> I expected to find it on 6.0.0 with MP2 and OSS706C after I installed it
    >> on an old Dell a client had available. No joy.
    >>
    >> The install itself went in without a hiccup, it even auto detected the
    >> 3com nic and the network came up like a champ after the install finished.
    >>
    >> Some background:
    >>
    >> Their Windows based DNS would not play nice with some software installed
    >> on an SCO 5.0.7 server that required a working local (behind the
    >> firewall) DNS.
    >>
    >> Their local Windows guy could not figure how to get their Windows DNS
    >> server to respond to (for example) nslookup, which also failed when run
    >> from an XP desktop. It seemed to me to be insisting on using only WINS
    >> and/or Netbios to resolve names.
    >>
    >> So I suggested trying OS6 on his old Dell and pointing the 5.0.7 server
    >> there for it's internal DNS lookups.
    >>
    >> I've never needed to setup a DNS sever on 6.0 before, but I had assumed
    >> that DNS Manager would be there since the kernel was based on Unixware.
    >>
    >> I really don't want to wade through the 6.0 docs that just explain a
    >> bazillion options without offering some examples of a common setup.
    >>
    >> Would the 7.1.4 DNS Manager work under 6.0? Or can someone point me to a
    >> web site with simple working DNS samples under 6.0? SCO's Knowledge
    >> base and online Docs had little or nothing to offer.
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
    >> SCO Authorized Partner
    >> Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
    >> (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    >> E-mail: pat...@inreach.com

    > See TA 107297 for instructions on setting up named. There's no
    > Scoadmin manager for it that I'm aware of, although you can set up the
    > BIND DNS module of Webmin.
    >
    > A broken Windows DNS, if that's what your client has, is going to be
    > trouble. IMHO better to fix that than to add a duplicate name service
    > on the network.
    >
    > --RLR

    Been there done that got the coffee mug

    You forgot TA#110029, which basically explains the other TA is wrong
    about named.boot being the config file name, and of course the syntax
    for the shiny new 8.x BIND config file, named.conf, differs completely
    from named.boot. And it way predates OS6 and Unixware 7.1.3/4 anyway.

    And it goes out of its way to NOT promise a corrected TA. Lovely.

    There's a conversion script to convert named.boot to named.conf format,
    but it resulted in a non-functioning DNS under the old 5.0.6 box I tried
    it on, using a named.boot I built using a working DNS at another client
    with a 5.0.4 system (after changing the IP's of course).

    The Windows DNS is not going to be fixed, so thats not an option.

    When I get it setup I plan to point the Unix systems to the Unix/Linux
    DNS and the *ix DNS will have the correct external DNS servers without
    having to consult their Windows DNS (which it can't anyway as I pointed
    out).

    SCO Authorized Partner
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  4. Re: Where's the 6.0.0 DNS Manager wizard?

    On Aug 28, 10:59 am, Pat Welch wrote:
> [...]

    > And it goes out of its way to NOT promise a corrected TA. Lovely.
    >
    > There's a conversion script to convert named.boot to named.conf format,
    > but it resulted in a non-functioning DNS under the old 5.0.6 box I tried
    > it on, using a named.boot I built using a working DNS at another client
    > with a 5.0.4 system (after changing the IP's of course).
    >
    > The Windows DNS is not going to be fixed, so thats not an option.
    >
    > When I get it setup I plan to point the Unix systems to the Unix/Linux
    > DNS and the *ix DNS will have the correct external DNS servers without
    > having to consult their Windows DNS (which it can't anyway as I pointed
    > out).
    >
    > --
    > Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
    > SCO Authorized Partner
    > Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support

    I don't read TA110029 the way you do. To me it just gives the BIND 8
    equivalents of the older named files. The Webmin module I cited works
    with BIND 8 if you want a GUI.

    There's a wealth of material on the Web about setting up BIND. See,
    e.g., BIND home at http://www.isc.org/index.pl or http://tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html.

    --RLR

  5. Re: Where's the 6.0.0 DNS Manager wizard?

    Pat Welch wrote:

    > You forgot TA#110029, which basically explains the other TA is wrong
    > about named.boot being the config file name, and of course the syntax
    > for the shiny new 8.x BIND config file

    BIND 9 is *7* years old. BIND 8 has been EOLed. If your vendor won't
    supply a package of something current, do yourself a favor and compile
    from source. Referring to BIND 8 as "shiny new" is doing yourself and
    your customers a /grave/ disservice.

    JS

  6. Re: Where's the 6.0.0 DNS Manager wizard?

    In article ,
    Pat Welch wrote:
    >ThreeStar wrote:
    >> On Aug 28, 3:25 am, Pat Welch wrote:
    >>> Hi.
    >>>
    >>> With Unixware 7.1.x you can do scoadmin "DNS Manager" and setup your DNS
    >>> server by answering questions.
    >>>
    >>> I expected to find it on 6.0.0 with MP2 and OSS706C after I installed it
    >>> on an old Dell a client had available. No joy.
    >>>
    >>> The install itself went in without a hiccup, it even auto detected the
    >>> 3com nic and the network came up like a champ after the install finished.
    >>>
    >>> Some background:
    >>>
    >>> Their Windows based DNS would not play nice with some software installed
    >>> on an SCO 5.0.7 server that required a working local (behind the
    >>> firewall) DNS.
    >>>
    >>> Their local Windows guy could not figure how to get their Windows DNS
    >>> server to respond to (for example) nslookup, which also failed when run
    >>> from an XP desktop. It seemed to me to be insisting on using only WINS
    >>> and/or Netbios to resolve names.
    >>>
    >>> So I suggested trying OS6 on his old Dell and pointing the 5.0.7 server
    >>> there for it's internal DNS lookups.
    >>>
    >>> I've never needed to setup a DNS sever on 6.0 before, but I had assumed
    >>> that DNS Manager would be there since the kernel was based on Unixware.
    >>>
    >>> I really don't want to wade through the 6.0 docs that just explain a
    >>> bazillion options without offering some examples of a common setup.
    >>>
    >>> Would the 7.1.4 DNS Manager work under 6.0? Or can someone point me to a
    >>> web site with simple working DNS samples under 6.0? SCO's Knowledge
    >>> base and online Docs had little or nothing to offer.
    >>>
    >>> TIA.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
    >>> SCO Authorized Partner
    >>> Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
    >>> (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    >>> E-mail: pat...@inreach.com

    >> See TA 107297 for instructions on setting up named. There's no
    >> Scoadmin manager for it that I'm aware of, although you can set up the
    >> BIND DNS module of Webmin.
    >>
    >> A broken Windows DNS, if that's what your client has, is going to be
    >> trouble. IMHO better to fix that than to add a duplicate name service
    >> on the network.
    >>
    >> --RLR
    >>

    >Been there done that got the coffee mug

    >You forgot TA#110029, which basically explains the other TA is
    >wrong about named.boot being the config file name, and of course
    >the syntax for the shiny new 8.x BIND config file, named.conf,
    >differs completely from named.boot. And it way predates OS6 and
    >Unixware 7.1.3/4 anyway.

    And in an email TODAY from isc [www.isc.org] said they are
    discontinuing any support of the 8.x series. They are effectively
    EOLed. The last patch for the 8.x series was released today.

    I don't know how hard it would be to compile 9.4.1-P1 for SCO,
    but if possible to get that going you will be in better shape than
    running an EOL'ed version.

    From: ISC Customer Support
    To: bind-announce@isc.org
    Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:55:05 -0700
    Subject: BIND 8 is EOL as of 27 August 2008

    Due to the continuing level of effort required to support BIND 8, ISC
    has decided to change the status of BIND 8 to 'end of life'.

    ISC strongly encourages users who depend on BIND 8 to migrate to BIND 9
    as soon as possible.

    It's never easy to retire a product. The security issues of BIND 8 are
    many, and 7 years after the release of BIND 9, ISC must devote our
    efforts to maintaining and enhancing the current version. BIND 9 was
    always intended as a replacement for BIND 8, thus there are no more BIND
    8 releases planned beyond 8.4.7-P1, being released today.

    Please see ISC's website at http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/bind8-eol.php for
    additional information and migration tools.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

+ Reply to Thread