SCO C compiler installation question - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO C compiler installation question - SCO ; Hello all...how does one setup some sort of C compiler on a Sco system? Whenever we try to compile anything, it tells us we don't have a compatible complier found. How does that work...does a compiler need compiled/built? Thanks, Mike...

  1. SCO C compiler installation question

    Hello all...how does one setup some sort of C compiler on a Sco
    system? Whenever we try to compile anything, it tells us we don't
    have a compatible complier found. How does that work...does a
    compiler need compiled/built?

    Thanks,
    Mike

  2. Re: SCO C compiler installation question

    On Thu, Aug 23, 2007, Mike Clifton wrote:
    >Hello all...how does one setup some sort of C compiler on a Sco
    >system? Whenever we try to compile anything, it tells us we don't
    >have a compatible complier found. How does that work...does a
    >compiler need compiled/built?

    SCO Openserver has a set of development libraries and headers that may be
    installed using ``custom'', and these are required to use gcc which is
    available from SCO's open source skunkware packages.

    The SCO software development system is not included with the base system,
    but is an extra cost item.

    Bill

    It is surprising how much new stuff users find that developers never do.
    You put a copy in front of a normal user and they find all these bugs that
    you would think developers would find. The real users and developers are
    completely different species as far as I am concerned.
    --Linux creator Linus Torvalds

  3. Re: SCO C compiler installation question

    Mike Clifton wrote:
    > Hello all...how does one setup some sort of C compiler on a Sco
    > system? Whenever we try to compile anything, it tells us we don't
    > have a compatible complier found. How does that work...does a
    > compiler need compiled/built?

    I seriously doubt it said "you don't have a compatible compiler". It it did,
    what does your computer say when you type "gcc -v" or just "cc"? The make system
    to build your unidentified binary using may not be able to properly detect if
    indeed you have a c compiler installed.

    A SCO system could mean anything from 1988 to today. Sco Xenix, to SCO
    Openserver to SCO Unixware. Its like saying you have a Apple program on a thumb
    drive. It could be for an Apple II, Apple III, Lisa, ClassicMac, OS-9, OSX,
    OSX-86, or an iPhone or Newton.

    No mind readers follow this newsgroup. What does "uname -X" say?

    My guess is you have a version of OSR5. You are going to need the installation
    CD in order to install libraries, and you are going to need to install gcc.

    Follow the directions for the "Integrated GNU Compilation System"
    http://www.sco.com/skunkware/devtools/index.html

    Lastly, yes a compiler has to be built. An executable binary is typically
    required to build a binary. Even java requires a version of java (and a c
    compiler) to build a newer version of java.

    You may also purchase the official C compiler for SCO. I believe it's around $599.

    Good Luck.

    ==
    Walter

  4. Re: SCO C compiler installation question

    On 23 Aug, 21:53, Mike Clifton wrote:
    > Hello all...how does one setup some sort of C compiler on a Sco
    > system? Whenever we try to compile anything, it tells us we don't
    > have a compatible complier found. How does that work...does a
    > compiler need compiled/built?

    SCO OpenServer 6 includes a basic compiler in the runtime. For
    more advanced compilers and tools you will need to purchase
    the Software Development Kit. This retails at around $99 I think.

    John

+ Reply to Thread