OpenServer 6.0.0 hangs randomly. Please help! - SCO

This is a discussion on OpenServer 6.0.0 hangs randomly. Please help! - SCO ; Thirty two days up and running! No more hangs until now! :-) -- Alberto Rodriguez Rodriguez...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: OpenServer 6.0.0 hangs randomly. Please help!

    --
    Alberto Rodriguez Rodriguez

  2. Re: OpenServer 6.0.0 hangs randomly. Please help!

    On Sep 24, 2:18 am, Alberto Rodriguez wrote:
    > Thirty two days up and running!
    >
    > No more hangs until now! :-)
    >
    > --
    > Alberto Rodriguez Rodriguez

    I am very happy as well. I found an extra download on HP's site. HP
    Networking Pack, I downloaded the pack looked into my NIC driver's
    folders and found a new driver version.

    The driver version included with EFS was 2.8.7 the driver version in
    the pack was 3.4.0.

    The new driver has been installed and I have an uptime of 12 days
    now. I haven't been online for 12 solid days since the first month of
    the machine being online.

    I'll continue to update after I have 1 month uptime.

    -David

  3. Re: OpenServer 6.0.0 hangs randomly. Please help!

    I have a customer with SCO OpenServr 6/mp2 also with random hangs.
    It is an HP Proliant ML-350G5 w/3GB & SAS Raid - i've setup similar
    a few times, yet this one in particular randomly hangs as well.

    the only thing different about this install others i've done with identical
    hardware/software is their reliance on terminals (Digiboard C/X, maybe 30 to
    40 terminals & serial printers) and mscreen. because of this i contacted
    digi tech suport, who insist its a sco problem.

    users log out & never get back to login, who shows them still logged in,
    eventually all are hung. could take anywhere from 1 day to 3 weeks after
    are reboot before this happens.

    no error messages to console, nothing in syslog/messages, no indication
    of running out of any resources, etc. built-in hp diagnostics run & don't
    find any errors.

    I tried the KHZ=100 thing and it did not help in my case at all.

    ideas?

    -joe

    > Mike wrote:
    > >
    > > Check the file /stand/boot. Make sure a line "KHZ=100" is there, or
    > > add it and reboot.
    > >
    > > Mike

    > Following the link supplied by John, there is another link:
    > (http://www.sco.com/ta/126735) relative to UnixWare 7.1.4 in wich
    > it's explained the behaviour of the parameter KHZ (also valid for
    > OSR6).
    >
    > This parameter is modified from KHZ=100 to KHZ=1000 in OpenServer
    > 6.0.0 when patch OSS706B or OSS706C are loaded (not OSS706A).
    >
    > It is known that this change "... may be related to some system hangs
    > or reboots reported to SCO, as described above. These issues are under
    > investigation."
    >
    > Last ptf9052g for UW 7.1.4 resets this parameter to its original value
    > (KHZ=100)
    >
    > So I agree with Mike. This may be the origin of the trouble. I've
    > added KHZ=100 to /etc/default/boot, and the server will be rebooted
    > this midnight. I must wait for resluts in the next days. I'll post the
    > results.
    >
    > To all that speak about memory problems, I forgot to say that memory
    > in this server is ECC memory from HP, 6 DIMMs, 512 MB each, DDR2.
    > Memory, motherboard, RAID controllers, etc. have been tested with test
    > programs supplied by HP without errors (not tested 96 hours as Boyd
    > proposed...)
    >
    > Thank you all again. I'll keep you informed.
    >
    > Best regards.
    > --
    > Alberto Rodriguez Rodriguez

    --- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ---
    -Joe Chasan- Magnatech Business Systems, Inc.
    joe@magnatechonline.com Hicksville, NY - USA
    http://www.MagnatechOnline.com Tel.(516) 931-4444/Fax.(516) 931-1264

  4. Re: OpenServer 6.0.0 hangs randomly. Please help!

    Hi all,

    Two months after changing parameter KHZ=100 in /etc/default/boot, the
    system has not crashed at all. It's up and running without problems!!!

    I want to give a big "Thank You" to all of you who shared your
    knowledges and ideas. Your help has been very valuable.

    Joe Chasan wrote:

    > I tried the KHZ=100 thing and it did not help in my case at all.
    > ideas?

    Joe,

    I had the same problem (random hangs) with another two servers with a
    very different hardware. Both of them had one hang after chanching
    KHZ=100, but I made a full fsck of filesystems and from that moment
    on, they work flawlessly. No hangs.

    As single user:

    # /etc/fsck -y -ofull /dev/root

    # /etc/fsck -y -ofull /dev/u ...or whichever other filesystems

    Try to assign a single (not shared) IRQ for the Digiboard card in
    server's BIOS.

    Hope this helps. Best regards.