RE: Trying to install/compile MailScanner-install-4.62.9,-3.tar - SCO

This is a discussion on RE: Trying to install/compile MailScanner-install-4.62.9,-3.tar - SCO ; A module in MailScanner creates a working directory /tmp/tnef-1.4.3 and runs ./configure and make in that directory. The problem I am getting is UX:i386ld: ERROR: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to tnef. This is on SCO 5.0.7 with the ...

  1. RE: Trying to install/compile MailScanner-install-4.62.9,-3.tar

    A module in MailScanner creates a working directory /tmp/tnef-1.4.3
    and runs ./configure and make in that directory. The problem I am
    getting is UX:i386ld: ERROR: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to tnef.

    This is on SCO 5.0.7 with the SCO Development system:

    UNIX Development System component 5.2.0A installed
    rs507d - Development System Update rs507d.un applied
    rs507d - Development System Update rs507d.un loaded
    SCO C++ Development System 3.1.4Ga installed
    rs507d - C++ Development System Update rs507d.cp applied
    rs507d - C++ Development System Update rs507d.cp loaded
    Extended Tcl Development System 7.3.2e installed
    Administration Framework Development System 1.0.2Aa installed
    Custom Distribution Mastering Toolkit 1.2.0j installed
    rs507d - CDMT Patch rs507d.cd applied
    rs507d - CDMT Patch rs507d.cd loaded
    X11/Motif Development System component 5.2.5j installed
    rs507d - X11/Motif Development System Patch rs507d.xd applied
    rs507d - X11/Motif Development System Patch rs507d.xd loaded

    And swconfig shows: GNU Development Tools 5.0.7g partially installed

    At one time I had gcc on this system but it was removed and replaced with
    the SCO Dev system. gwxlibs does not show up in custom but /usr/gnu/bin
    exists and is populated with everything but gcc:

    # ls -m
    autoexpect, autopasswd, autopoint, cryptdir, decryptdir, dislocate, envsubst,
    expect, expectk, ftp-rfc, gettext, gettextize, ginstall-info, gmake,
    install-info, kibitz, lpunlock, mkpasswd, msgattrib, msgcat, msgcmp, msgcomm,
    msgconv, msgen, msgexec, msgfilter, msgfmt, msggrep, msginit, msgmerge,
    msgunfmt, msguniq, multixterm, ngettext, passmass, rftp, rlogin-cwd, tcl,
    tclhelp, tclsh, tclsh8.4, timed-read, timed-run, tknewsbiff, tkpasswd,
    unbuffer, weather, wish, wish8.4, wishx, xgettext, xkibitz, xpstat

    When I changed to /tmp/tnef-1.4.3 and ran make clean and make I see a whole
    raft of object compile statements but the end result is:

    cc -g -o tnef alloc.o attr.o date.o debug.o file.o main.o mapi_att
    r.o options.o path.o rtf.o tnef.o util.o write.o xstrdup.o tnef_names.o tnef_t
    ypes.o mapi_types.o mapi_names.o replace/libreplace.a
    Undefined first referenced
    symbol in file
    libintl_gettext libreplace.a(getopt_long.o)
    UX:i386ld: ERROR: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to tnef
    *** Error code 1 (bu21)
    *** Error code 1 (bu21)
    *** Error code 1 (bu21)
    *** Error code 1 (bu21)

    I did a grep libintl_gettext on /usr/include/* and found:
    /usr/include/libgnuintl.h:extern char *libintl_gettext (const char *__msgid);
    /usr/include/libgnuintl.h: return libintl_gettext (__msgid);
    /usr/include/libgnuintl.h:# define gettext libintl_gettext
    /usr/include/libgnuintl.h: _INTL_ASM (libintl_gettext);

    and then looking at it in context:

    # less /usr/include/libgnuintl.h

    /* Look up MSGID in the current default message catalog for the current
    LC_MESSAGES locale. If not found, returns MSGID itself (the default
    text). */
    #ifdef _INTL_REDIRECT_INLINE
    extern char *libintl_gettext (const char *__msgid);
    static inline char *gettext (const char *__msgid)
    {
    return libintl_gettext (__msgid);
    }
    #else
    #ifdef _INTL_REDIRECT_MACROS
    # define gettext libintl_gettext
    #endif
    extern char *gettext (const char *__msgid)
    _INTL_ASM (libintl_gettext);
    #endif

    I checked the config.log and found:

    configure:4404: checking for gettext in -lintl
    configure:4439: cc -o conftest -g conftest.c -lintl >&5
    UX:i386acomp: WARNING: "conftest.c", line 23: warning: statement not reached
    Undefined first referenced
    symbol in file
    gettext conftest.o
    UX:i386ld: ERROR: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
    configure:4445: $? = 1
    configure: failed program was:
    | /* confdefs.h. */
    | #define PACKAGE_NAME "tnef"
    | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "tnef"
    | #define PACKAGE_VERSION "1.4.3"
    | #define PACKAGE_STRING "tnef 1.4.3"
    | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "verdammelt@users.sourceforge.net"
    | #define PACKAGE "tnef"
    | #define VERSION "1.4.3"
    | /* end confdefs.h. */

    What do I need to do to fix this?

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  2. Re: Trying to install/compile MailScanner-install-4.62.9,-3.tar

    Still looking for help on this issue. Anybody?

    Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
> [...]
    > static inline char *gettext (const char *__msgid)
    > {
    > return libintl_gettext (__msgid);
    > }
    > #else
    > #ifdef _INTL_REDIRECT_MACROS
    > # define gettext libintl_gettext
    > #endif
    > extern char *gettext (const char *__msgid)
    > _INTL_ASM (libintl_gettext);
    > #endif
    >

    > I checked the config.log and found:
    >
    > configure:4404: checking for gettext in -lintl
    > configure:4439: cc -o conftest -g conftest.c -lintl >&5
    > UX:i386acomp: WARNING: "conftest.c", line 23: warning: statement not
    > reached
    > Undefined first referenced
    > symbol in file
    > gettext conftest.o
    > UX:i386ld: ERROR: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest

  3. Re: Trying to install/compile MailScanner-install-4.62.9,-3.tar

    On Aug 22, 3:34 pm, "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote:
> [...]

    > > static inline char *gettext (const char *__msgid)
    > > {
    > > return libintl_gettext (__msgid);
    > > }
    > > #else
    > > #ifdef _INTL_REDIRECT_MACROS
    > > # define gettext libintl_gettext
    > > #endif
    > > extern char *gettext (const char *__msgid)
    > > _INTL_ASM (libintl_gettext);
    > > #endif

    > > I checked the config.log and found:

    > > configure:4404: checking for gettext in -lintl
    > > configure:4439: cc -o conftest -g conftest.c -lintl >&5
    > > UX:i386acomp: WARNING: "conftest.c", line 23: warning: statement not
    > > reached
    > > Undefined first referenced
    > > symbol in file
    > > gettext conftest.o
    > > UX:i386ld: ERROR: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest

    You might have better luck if you subscribe to the MailScanner mail
    list -

    mailscanner@lists.mailscanner.info

  4. Re: Trying to install/compile MailScanner-install-4.62.9,-3.tar

    Brent Bolin wrote:

> [...]

    > > > #else
    > > > #ifdef _INTL_REDIRECT_MACROS
    > > > # define gettext libintl_gettext
    > > > #endif
    > > > extern char *gettext (const char *__msgid)
    > > > _INTL_ASM (libintl_gettext);
    > > > #endif

    > > > I checked the config.log and found:

    > > > configure:4404: checking for gettext in -lintl
    > > > configure:4439: cc -o conftest -g conftest.c -lintl >&5
    > > > UX:i386acomp: WARNING: "conftest.c", line 23: warning: statement not
    > > > reached
    > > > Undefined first referenced
    > > > symbol in file
    > > > gettext conftest.o
    > > > UX:i386ld: ERROR: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
    > > > configure:4445: $? = 1
    > > > configure: failed program was:

    > > > What do I need to do to fix this?

    > You might have better luck if you subscribe to the MailScanner mail

    That's a possibility but I've discounted it as this ia a compiler issue and
    not an operational issue.

    The fact that the MailScanner web site has foucused downloads for
    Linux RPM (Fedora, RedHat, Mandrake and other Linux) and Free BSD,
    (Solaris, BSD, Other Linux, and Other UNIX) versions with nothing
    listing SCO tends to suggest the "SCO not welcome" mindset common
    of most Linux developers.

    The lack of respnse is likely due to the long posting. Questions
    like "Mail Scanner won't compile - why?" get frequent responses with
    requests for more information. Too much invormation (like in my
    original post) are too much to digest and get little response.

    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  5. Re: Trying to install/compile MailScanner-install-4.62.9,-3.tar

    On Aug 24, 12:39 pm, "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote:
    > Brent Bolin wrote:
    >
    > > On Aug 22, 3:34 pm, "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote:
    > > > Still looking for help on this issue. Anybody?

    > > You might have better luck if you subscribe to the MailScanner mail
    > > list -

    > > mailscan...@lists.mailscanner.info

    > That's a possibility but I've discounted it as this ia a compiler issue and
    > not an operational issue.
    >
    > The fact that the MailScanner web site has foucused downloads for
    > Linux RPM (Fedora, RedHat, Mandrake and other Linux) and Free BSD,
    > (Solaris, BSD, Other Linux, and Other UNIX) versions with nothing
    > listing SCO tends to suggest the "SCO not welcome" mindset common
    > of most Linux developers.
    >
    > The lack of respnse is likely due to the long posting. Questions
    > like "Mail Scanner won't compile - why?" get frequent responses with
    > requests for more information. Too much invormation (like in my
    > original post) are too much to digest and get little response.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Steve Fabac
    > S.M. Fabac & Associates
    > 816/765-1670

    Not sure it's a mind set. It's where most of the open source
    development exists.

  6. Re: Trying to install/compile MailScanner-install-4.62.9,-3.tar

    Brent Bolin wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 12:39 pm, "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote:
    >> Brent Bolin wrote:

    Much deleted.

    >>> You might have better luck if you subscribe to the MailScanner mail
    >>> list -
    >>> mailscan...@lists.mailscanner.info

    >> That's a possibility but I've discounted it as this ia a compiler issue and
    >> not an operational issue.
    >>
    >> The fact that the MailScanner web site has foucused downloads for
    >> Linux RPM (Fedora, RedHat, Mandrake and other Linux) and Free BSD,
    >> (Solaris, BSD, Other Linux, and Other UNIX) versions with nothing
    >> listing SCO tends to suggest the "SCO not welcome" mindset common
    >> of most Linux developers.
    >>
    >> The lack of respnse is likely due to the long posting. Questions
    >> like "Mail Scanner won't compile - why?" get frequent responses with
    >> requests for more information. Too much invormation (like in my
    >> original post) are too much to digest and get little response.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Steve Fabac
    >> S.M. Fabac & Associates
    >> 816/765-1670

    > Not sure it's a mind set. It's where most of the open source
    > development exists.

    Mea culpa. I finally gave up with the SCO DevSys and installed
    gnutools5.0.7Kj and reverted to the original tarball from
    MailScanner-install-4.62.9. to compile with gcc.

    I did have to modify one file to get the script to run:

    # diff install.tar-fns.sh ../test/MailScanner*/install.tar-fns.sh
    9c9

    > < Modified original >

    < TARPATH="/usr/gnu/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin /usr/sfw/bin /usr/freewar
    e/bin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /bin"
    ---
    > TARPATH="/usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin /usr/sfw/bin /usr/freeware/bin /usr/bi

    n /usr/sbin /bin"

    With the addition of /usr/gnu/bin to the TARPATH, "sh -x install.sh > /tmp/logit.log 2>&1"
    ran without critical errors and reported only one compile failure:

    # Looks like you failed 6 tests of 159.
    dubious
    Test returned status 6 (wstat 1536, 0x600)
    DIED. FAILED tests 90, 92, 94, 130, 132, 134
    Failed 6/159 tests, 96.23% okay (less 44 skipped tests: 109 okay, 68.55%
    Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail List of Failed
    t/syslog.t 6 1536 159 6 90 92 94 130 132 134
    2 tests and 51 subtests skipped.
    Failed 1/8 test scripts. 6/251 subtests failed.
    Files=8, Tests=251, 8 wallclock secs ( 6.36 cusr + 0.81 csys = 7.17 CPU)
    Failed 1/8 test programs. 6/251 subtests failed.
    *** Error code 6 (bu21)
    + rm -rf /tmp/Sys-Syslog-0.18

    I've yet to turn it on and test it but I did run the recommended root
    crontab entries manually:

    > Linking into SpamAssassin if you have it installed.
    >
    > Good, the link was created to /opt/MailScanner/etc
    >
    > I strongly recommend you create a few root cron jobs:
    >
    > 37 5 * * * /opt/MailScanner/bin/update_phishing_sites
    > 58 23 * * * /opt/MailScanner/bin/clean.quarantine
    > 42 * * * * /opt/MailScanner/bin/update_virus_scanners
    > 3,23,43 * * * * /opt/MailScanner/bin/check_mailscanner

    I had to modify update_phishing_sites and add /usr/gnu/bin to
    the existing PATH statement:

    > PATH=/usr/gnu/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/etc:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sfw
    > /bin

    I Tested check_mailscanner and it died without starting the not
    running mailscanner at the line I've commented out:

    sh -x /opt/MailScanner/bin/check_mailscanner
    > + fgrep SCO
    > + ps -e -o pid -o args
    > + fgrep /opt/MailScanner/bin/MailScanner
    > + grep -v grep
    > + sed -e s/^ *// -e s/ .*//
    > pid=
    > + [ x = x ]
    > + ulimit -n 2000
    > /opt/MailScanner/bin/check_mailscanner: bad option(s)

    if [ "x$pid" = "x" ]; then
    # Quietly try to raise the open_files limit
    > # ulimit -n 2000 >/dev/null 2>&1

    # Restart it
    PATH=${msbindir}:$PATH
    echo -n 'Starting MailScanner...'
    cd $msbindir
    $process $config || RETVALUE=" Failed."
    echo "$RETVALUE"
    else
    if [ "x$1" != "x-q" ]; then
    echo MailScanner running with pid $pid
    fi
    fi

    Once the ulimit -n 2000 line was commented out, check_mailscanner
    restarted (in this case started) mailscanner.

    And last my comment about ignoring SCO above is belied by the
    code I found in check_mailscanner:

    RETVALUE=" Done."
    # If this does not work on your system, please don't
    # just send us a version that does, please please please
    # send example output that demonstrates *why* it doesn't
    # work, what version of what system you are running etc.
    # If you do this then I *will* make this work right for
    # everybody.
    # -- Nick Phillips

    if $UNAME | $FGREP "SunOS" >/dev/null ; then
    # Version for Solaris/SysV systems:
    pid=`/usr/ucb/ps auxww |
    egrep $msbindir/$process'|'$process'[:]' |
    grep -v grep |
    awk '{print $2}'`
    elif $UNAME | $FGREP "HP" >/dev/null ; then
    # Version for HP-UX
    pid=`ps -efx |
    fgrep $msbindir/$process |
    fgrep -v fgrep |
    awk '{print $2}'`
    > elif $UNAME | $FGREP "SCO" >/dev/null ; then

    pid=`ps -e -o pid -o args |
    fgrep $msbindir/$process |
    grep -v grep |
    sed -e 's/^ *//' -e 's/ .*//'`
    elif $UNAME | $FGREP "Linux" >/dev/null ; then
    pid=`$PS axww |
    $EGREP $process'[:]|\['$process'\]|[ ]'$msbindir/$process |
    awk '{ print $1 }'`
    elif $UNAME | $FGREP "BSD" >/dev/null ; then
    pid=`$PS -axww |
    $EGREP '[ ]('$msbindir/$process')|'$process'[:]' |
    $AWK '{print $1}'`
    elif $UNAME | $FGREP "OSF" >/dev/null ; then
    pid=`ps -e -o pid -o args |
    $GREP '[ ]'$process |
    grep -v grep |
    awk '{ print $1 }'`
    elif $UNAME | $FGREP "Darwin" >/dev/null ; then # ie Mac OSX
    pid=`$PS axww |
    $EGREP '[ ]('$msbindir/$process')|'$process'[:]' |
    $AWK '{print $1}'`
    else
    # not BSD; everything else seems to do POSIX
    pid=`COLUMNS=500 $PS -ef |
    $EGREP '([ ]'$msbindir/$process')|'$process'[:]' |
    $AWK '{print $2}'`
    fi

    So once I have this running on 5.0.7, I'll be reporting my
    modifications to the source maintainer for possible inclusion
    in the next release.

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates