Barcode Utility to PCL - SCO

This is a discussion on Barcode Utility to PCL - SCO ; I am looking for a barcode to PCL command line utility for Openserver 5/6. Recommendations appreciated. I have a folder for unibar bnz, but it isn't licensed and don't have a clue how it got there. wj...

  1. Barcode Utility to PCL

    I am looking for a barcode to PCL command line utility for Openserver 5/6.

    Recommendations appreciated. I have a folder for unibar bnz, but it isn't
    licensed and don't have a clue how it got there.

    wj

  2. Re: Barcode Utility to PCL

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, willjay wrote:

    > I am looking for a barcode to PCL command line utility for Openserver 5/6.
    >
    > Recommendations appreciated. I have a folder for unibar bnz, but it isn't
    > licensed and don't have a clue how it got there.

    Do you mean you want to generate barcodes using PCL? Generate barcodes in
    general? Extract the barcode from PCL files? Read barcode numbers, look up
    records, and print PCL? Please be specific.

    Regards,
    .....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

    personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    web: http://www.anzio.com

  3. Re: Barcode Utility to PCL

    "Bob Rasmussen" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, willjay wrote:
    >
    > > I am looking for a barcode to PCL command line utility for Openserver

    5/6.

    > > Recommendations appreciated. I have a folder for unibar bnz, but it

    isn't
    > > licensed and don't have a clue how it got there.

    > Do you mean you want to generate barcodes using PCL? Generate barcodes in
    > general? Extract the barcode from PCL files? Read barcode numbers, look up
    > records, and print PCL? Please be specific.
    >
    > Regards,
    > ....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.
    >
    > personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    > company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    > voice: (US) 503-624-0360 (9:00-6:00 Pacific Time)
    > fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    > web: http://www.anzio.com

    Something to parse a text input (stdin) which has a simple script such as ~
    *barcodedata* ~ and will output in PCL format for output to /dev/lp?? or
    spooler or pcl2pdf or whatever.

    wj

  4. Re: Barcode Utility to PCL

    willjay made comment on Thu Aug 16 23:25:04 2007 :
    > I am looking for a barcode to PCL command line utility for Openserver 5/6.
    >
    > Recommendations appreciated. I have a folder for unibar bnz, but it isn't
    > licensed and don't have a clue how it got there.

    Have a look at gnu barcode

    http://www.gnu.org/software/barcode/barcode.html

    It compiles easily and works well for us.

    Tom

    Tom Melvin tom@tkrh.co.uk http://www.tkrh.demon.co.uk
    Veterinary Solutions Ltd

  5. Re: Barcode Utility to PCL

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, willjay wrote:

    > Something to parse a text input (stdin) which has a simple script such as ~
    > *barcodedata* ~ and will output in PCL format for output to /dev/lp?? or
    > spooler or pcl2pdf or whatever.

    If you are willing to involve a Windows PC (or Windows installed under
    Merge Pro on Unix) in the process, our Print Wizard utility can do this
    and much more.

    You can pass PW a text file containing an HTML-like language called Print
    Wizard Markup Language, or PWML. This file describes an entire print job.
    For a barcode, you use a tag such as

    There is support for 15 kinds of barcodes, with all sorts of variations
    and options (do you supply the check digit or do we, for instance).

    Output can be PCL, or can drive any Windows-supported printer.

    Regards,
    .....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

    personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    web: http://www.anzio.com

  6. Re: Barcode Utility to PCL

    On Aug 17, 8:05 am, Tom Melvin wrote:
    > willjay made comment on Thu Aug 16 23:25:04 2007 :
    >
    > > I am looking for a barcode to PCL command line utility for Openserver 5/6.

    > > Recommendations appreciated. I have a folder for unibar bnz, but it isn't
    > > licensed and don't have a clue how it got there.

    > Have a look at gnu barcode
    >
    > http://www.gnu.org/software/barcode/barcode.html
    >
    > It compiles easily and works well for us.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > --
    > Tom Melvin t...@tkrh.co.uk http://www.tkrh.demon.co.uk
    > Veterinary Solutions Ltd

    Tom,

    Thanks for the recommendation, i compiled successfully, and started
    looking for usage examples. The documentation is way over my head.
    Can you supply an example of how to make this work.

    I am assuming that it takes a text script from standard input,
    however, it is not obvious to me how to construct the scripts. I must
    be missing some documentation or don't understand the instructions.

    Help appreciated.

    wj

  7. Re: Barcode Utility to PCL

    willjay wrote:
    > On Aug 17, 8:05 am, Tom Melvin wrote:
    >
    >> willjay made comment on Thu Aug 16 23:25:04 2007 :
    >>
    >>> I am looking for a barcode to PCL command line utility for
    >>> Openserver 5/6.

    >> Have a look at gnu barcode
    >> http://www.gnu.org/software/barcode/barcode.html

    > Thanks for the recommendation, i compiled successfully, and started
    > looking for usage examples. The documentation is way over my head.
    > Can you supply an example of how to make this work.
    >
    > I am assuming that it takes a text script from standard input,
    > however, it is not obvious to me how to construct the scripts. I
    > must be missing some documentation or don't understand the
    > instructions.

    http://www.ar.linux.it/software/barc...e%20Executable

  8. Re: Barcode Utility to PCL

    willjay made comment on Mon Aug 20 15:48:50 2007 :
    > On Aug 17, 8:05 am, Tom Melvin wrote:
    > > willjay made comment on Thu Aug 16 23:25:04 2007 :
    > >
    > > > I am looking for a barcode to PCL command line utility for Openserver 5/6.

    > > > Recommendations appreciated. I have a folder for unibar bnz, but it isn't
    > > > licensed and don't have a clue how it got there.

    > > Have a look at gnu barcode
    > >
    > > http://www.gnu.org/software/barcode/barcode.html
    > >
    > > It compiles easily and works well for us.

    > Thanks for the recommendation, i compiled successfully, and started
    > looking for usage examples. The documentation is way over my head.
    > Can you supply an example of how to make this work.
    >
    > I am assuming that it takes a text script from standard input,
    > however, it is not obvious to me how to construct the scripts. I must
    > be missing some documentation or don't understand the instructions.
    >
    > Help appreciated.

    We let users enter a string they wish to dump out as a barcode
    and then within the applications call

    barcode -Ecn -e 39 -u cm -g 0.0x0.75 -b "XXXX"

    Where XXXX in the above is the string they entered. This is on standard out
    and 99% of the time is re-directed to the printer.

    Tom

    Tom Melvin tom@tkrh.co.uk http://www.tkrh.demon.co.uk
    Veterinary Solutions Ltd

  9. Re: Barcode Utility to PCL

    On Aug 20, 1:05 pm, Tom Melvin wrote:
    > willjay made comment on Mon Aug 20 15:48:50 2007 :
    >

    > > On Aug 17, 8:05 am, Tom Melvin wrote:
    > > > willjay made comment on Thu Aug 16 23:25:04 2007 :

    > > > Have a look at gnu barcode

    > > > http://www.gnu.org/software/barcode/barcode.html

    > > > It compiles easily and works well for us.

    > > Thanks for the recommendation, i compiled successfully, and started
    > > looking for usage examples. The documentation is way over my head.
    > > Can you supply an example of how to make this work.

    > > I am assuming that it takes a text script from standard input,
    > > however, it is not obvious to me how to construct the scripts. I must
    > > be missing some documentation or don't understand the instructions.

    > > Help appreciated.

    > We let users enter a string they wish to dump out as a barcode
    > and then within the applications call
    >
    > barcode -Ecn -e 39 -u cm -g 0.0x0.75 -b "XXXX"
    >
    > Where XXXX in the above is the string they entered. This is on standard out
    > and 99% of the time is re-directed to the printer.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > --
    > Tom Melvin t...@tkrh.co.uk http://www.tkrh.demon.co.uk
    > Veterinary Solutions Ltd

    What would you do if you wanted to print something along with the
    barcode? Such as product information? I think we are getting closer
    to what I need. Thanks

    wj

  10. Re: Barcode Utility to PCL

    willjay wrote:
    > On Aug 20, 1:05 pm, Tom Melvin wrote:
    >> willjay made comment on Mon Aug 20 15:48:50 2007 :
    >>> Can you supply an example of how to make this work.

    >> barcode -Ecn -e 39 -u cm -g 0.0x0.75 -b "XXXX"
    >>

    > What would you do if you wanted to print something along with the
    > barcode? Such as product information? I think we are getting closer
    > to what I need. Thanks

    Another approach is to use Terry Burton's Postscript code from
    http://www.terryburton.co.uk/barcodewriter/

    Instead of invoking an external program, have the program write
    postscript to a file. Something like ...

    %!PS
    ! include barcode.ps here
    /Helvetica 12 selectfont
    50 450 moveto (1-86074-271) (includetext) isbn barcode
    50 400 moveto (large green Acme widget $3.99) show
    ! repeat variations on prior 2 lines ad infinitum
    showpage

    Finally send PS file to printer or convert that to PCL if necessary.
    Ghostscript or CUPS will do that. Many PCL printers will also support
    Postscript - so PCL may not always be mandatory.

  11. Re: Barcode Utility to PCL

    >>> willjay made comment on Mon Aug 20 15:48:50 2007 :
    >>>
    >>> barcode -Ecn -e 39 -u cm -g 0.0x0.75 -b "XXXX"
    >>>

    >> What would you do if you wanted to print something along with the
    >> barcode? Such as product information? I think we are getting closer
    >> to what I need. Thanks
    >>

    > Another approach is to use Terry Burton's Postscript code from
    > http://www.terryburton.co.uk/barcodewriter/
    >
    > Instead of invoking an external program, have the program write postscript
    > to a file. Something like ...
    >
    > %!PS
    > ! include barcode.ps here
    > /Helvetica 12 selectfont
    > 50 450 moveto (1-86074-271) (includetext) isbn barcode
    > 50 400 moveto (large green Acme widget $3.99) show
    > ! repeat variations on prior 2 lines ad infinitum
    > showpage
    >
    > Finally send PS file to printer or convert that to PCL if necessary.
    > Ghostscript or CUPS will do that. Many PCL printers will also support
    > Postscript - so PCL may not always be mandatory.

    I highly recommend this myself. Further, I say send it through ghostscript
    even if you have ps capable printers just because ps takes a lot more cpu to
    interpret than pcl, or at least, the pcl output by ghostscript from
    interpreting thes barcode ps program. Probably the difference is the gs
    output pcl is no longer a program that needs to be interpreted but just some
    plain old pcl raster graphics and embedded fonts, and the ps program was
    interpretted on the dual, cual-core xeon, 12 disk raid10, 4 gigs of ram
    yadda yadda yadda server instead of the puny cpu & ram on the printer.

    When printing a single code128 barcode and some text on small 5.5 x 5.5 inch
    cards, printing over a lan to a bunch of hp laserjet 1320n's,
    the printer would never print about 5 to 10% of the jobs, and the rest took
    anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds per card. Intolerable, especially in the fast
    paced point-of-service situation they were in.
    I took the same exact ps and ran it through gs on the server and sent the
    pcl to the printers and it was night & day.
    no lost print jobs at all, and only about 7000% faster.

  12. Re: Barcode Utility to PCL

    Another way to use barcodes are softfonts.
    Just load the font to the printer memory and call the font when you need
    it.
    I'm doing this by one of our clients and works almost perfectly.
    The only problem is when people turn the printer off.
    By the way, it's 100% PCL

    Regards,
    John Kuiper

    Brian K. White wrote:
> [...]