C development system installation - SCO

This is a discussion on C development system installation - SCO ; Hi all, We have just moved our development system to a more powerful server that has been sold to us for 1$. uname gives the following on the new box: # uname -X System = SCO_SV Node = magnal2 Release ...

  1. C development system installation

    Hi all,

    We have just moved our development system to a more powerful server
    that has been sold to us for 1$.

    uname gives the following on the new box:

    # uname -X

    System = SCO_SV
    Node = magnal2
    Release = 3.2v5.0.7
    KernelID = 2003-02-18
    Machine = Xeon
    BusType = ISA
    Serial = 3KI006669
    Users = 15
    OEM# = 0
    Origin# = 1
    NumCPU = 1

    We develop software mostly in COBOL but many system routines are
    written in "c". Our old box which is no longer on the network due to a
    defective network card is at the same release level as the new one and
    of course had the c development system installed. The new server does
    not have the development system.

    It's been 15 years since I last installed SCO and really don't want to
    go that route. Is there any way to get the c development system onto
    the new box either from the installation CD's which we have for the
    old box or by copying files from one system to another?

    Thanks in advance.

    Elliot

  2. Re: C development system installation

    On Aug 16, 9:56 am, Elliot wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > We have just moved our development system to a more powerful server
    > that has been sold to us for 1$.
    >
    > uname gives the following on the new box:
    >
    > # uname -X
    >
    > System = SCO_SV
    > Node = magnal2
    > Release = 3.2v5.0.7
    > KernelID = 2003-02-18
    > Machine = Xeon
    > BusType = ISA
    > Serial = 3KI006669
    > Users = 15
    > OEM# = 0
    > Origin# = 1
    > NumCPU = 1
    >
    > We develop software mostly in COBOL but many system routines are
    > written in "c". Our old box which is no longer on the network due to a
    > defective network card is at the same release level as the new one and
    > of course had the c development system installed. The new server does
    > not have the development system.
    >
    > It's been 15 years since I last installed SCO and really don't want to
    > go that route. Is there any way to get the c development system onto
    > the new box either from the installation CD's which we have for the
    > old box or by copying files from one system to another?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Elliot

    Hi
    In fact the old SCO box is an earlier version:

    Release 3.2v5.0.5
    Kernel Date 98/07/02

    I suppose this will make copying files more problematic.

    Thanks

    Elliot

  3. Re: C development system installation

    On 16 Aug, 14:56, Elliot wrote:
    > It's been 15 years since I last installed SCO and really don't want to
    > go that route. Is there any way to get the c development system onto
    > the new box either from the installation CD's which we have for the
    > old box or by copying files from one system to another?

    Its unlikely that you will be able to install the 5.0.5 Development
    System onto
    the 5.0.7 box. Even if you could get it installed, you will most
    likely meet
    problem with compilation and/or runtime execution issues when you
    build
    your sources.

    Probably the "easiest" solution is to get an OpenServer 5.0.7 CD1 and
    install the development system from that using the license from the
    OpenServer 5.0.5 Development Kit.

    JOhn

+ Reply to Thread