What about all the SCO Wizards? - SCO

This is a discussion on What about all the SCO Wizards? - SCO ; I was most interested in where the lads are going especially as regards which OS they are moving to. There used to be a pretty healthy eco-system of users and consultants, even some ex-SCO employees. Where is everybody, professionally? XXX ...

  1. What about all the SCO Wizards?

    I was most interested in where the lads are going especially as regards
    which OS they are moving to.

    There used to be a pretty healthy eco-system of users and consultants, even
    some ex-SCO employees.

    Where is everybody, professionally?

    XXX Unix
    Solaris
    xxxBSD
    Linux
    OS/X
    OS/2
    embeded
    Hell
    Windows
    DOS

  2. Re: What about all the SCO Wizards?

    Red Rocket wrote:

    > Where is everybody, professionally?

    Desktops and Servers needing recent JDK => Ubuntu
    Servers => FreeBSD

    Long Live FreeBSD!

    --
    wdv

    (My answer may not count since I am not a wizard. I believe I failed the sample
    online SCO admin test with about a 68%. Though with Google today, I believe I
    could get it closer to 98%. Information at my fingertips is all I need. Do I
    really have to remember how to read pacct files, or do I need to know how use
    tools to find out how to use it quickly? Hum. Sounds like sour grapes.)

  3. Re: What about all the SCO Wizards?

    On Tue, Aug 14, 2007, Red Rocket wrote:
    >I was most interested in where the lads are going especially as regards
    >which OS they are moving to.
    >
    >There used to be a pretty healthy eco-system of users and consultants, even
    >some ex-SCO employees.
    >
    >Where is everybody, professionally?

    We still support a few OpenServer 5.0.6 and earlier OpenServer
    customers, but I can count them on the fingers of one hand.

    >XXX Unix
    >Solaris
    >xxxBSD

    Some of the above, but mostly old FreeBSD.

    >Linux

    CentOS 4.5

    SuSE 8.2 through SLES10.

    Support for various others.

    >OS/X

    OS X 10.4.10

    >OS/2
    >embeded
    >Hell
    >Windows

    I thought Windows is Hell. We don't pollute good hardware with
    the Microsoft virus.

    Bill

    Basic Definitions of Science:
    If it's green or wiggles, it's biology.
    If it stinks, it's chemistry.
    If it doesn't work, it's physics.

  4. Re: What about all the SCO Wizards?

    Red Rocket typed (on Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 08:27:32PM +0000):
    | I was most interested in where the lads are going especially as regards
    | which OS they are moving to.
    |
    | There used to be a pretty healthy eco-system of users and consultants, even
    | some ex-SCO employees.
    |
    | Where is everybody, professionally?
    |
    | XXX Unix
    | Solaris
    | xxxBSD
    | Linux
    | OS/X
    | OS/2
    | embeded
    | Hell
    | Windows
    | DOS

    For starters, I've never been a SCO-wizard. I do have my ear to
    the ground concerning events and changes in the OS market. There
    are still plenty of loyal SCO users out there. This includes a
    single user (many times a doctor that likes to tinker) to a large
    corporation with thousands of sites running SCO. Over the past
    several years there has been a migration to both Linux and Windows.
    Those large corporations moving to Windows usually have a main server
    running some flavor of Unix/Linux behind the scenes, but their main
    operation is Windows. Those that have migrated from SCO to Linux
    have their reasons. Some valid, some not. Though not a big deal to
    many, I've always appreciated SCO's attempts to remain backward
    compatible. Linux is not as flexable in this arena.

    Best Regards,
    Jeff Hyman, CEO
    .--.
    ___________________________ .-. | | _____________________________________
    Lone Star Software Corp. | | | | .-. Home of World Famous LONE-TAR(tm)
    Cactus International, Inc. | |_| | | | Backup Software for UNIX and LINUX
    Sales: 800.525.8649 _ |___ |_| | 24x7 Support Available
    Support: 301.829.1622 _| ~- | ___| RESCUE-RANGER(tm) and AIR-BAG(tm)
    http://www.LONE-TAR.com \, _} | | Disaster Recovery Software
    -------------------------- \( -- | | --------------------------------------
    | |

  5. Re: What about all the SCO Wizards?

    Don't beleive Walters modesty for one second.
    All I'll say is:
    a) filePro mail list - it's archived on line
    b) I have a not unfounded pretty high opinion of my own self, and I'm glad
    I'm secure in my current situation because I don't think I'd like to work
    with Walter for fear of not being able to keep up and look like a dullard.

    In my case, Suse linux all the way. I made that decision before the MS deal
    thing, but at the time I also made the decision to pick something as
    carefully as possible, but then stick with it if at all possible, because
    with linux there is _always_ a shiney new "better" distribution. Only it's
    never actually any better. It might have a better gizmoX but it invariably
    doesn't even know plain_old_thing_Y even exists or why you might need it
    waaaay more than some stupid desktop gimmick. And you can never tell when
    one is going to fold or halt in a year. And having 100 boxes with 30
    different distributions, each of those with 5 or more different versions
    over 5 years (for the ones that manage to stay around that long), would just
    be insane. _I_ could handle it, though it wouldn't be convenient, but my
    company would go from being a software house where almost everyone is a
    fairly compenent sysadmin ableto deal with most tasks(thats kind of
    invaluable to the customers), to one where there are a bunch of programmers
    and me, and I'd no longer have time to code at all. So, no distribution
    hopping. No matter how shiny. I do play with them on a couple desktops just
    to make sure I'm not being an idiot, but so far thats it.
    Lots of different factors went into picking Suse, many technical, some
    administrative, some speculative about the companies core politics and thus
    potatial future behaviour, etc... and they are all still valid despite the
    MS thing _so far_. My almost choices , that I think would have worked just
    as well and I'd be just as commited to if I went that way were debian and
    gentoo. For some reason fedora/centos/whitebox never really rang my bell
    though I can't find any actual fault. RHEL is utterly inconceivable. I don't
    mind paying that much for an OS, but for that kind of investment per box, I
    want SCO, as it used to be, that was _worth_ it, slowness and lack of modern
    features and all.
    Hear that Novell?? See I said Suse not SLES. I also don't buy into SLES,
    just opensuse, mainly for the better support and compatibility beleive it or
    not. The free thing is better supported simply via google simply because so
    many more people use it. But if you sold Unix, and it looked like it wasn't
    going to be such a fringe system I'd be on my own trying to make it work,
    I'd buy it. That is, I'd decree that thats what we use from now on for all
    new boxes both in-house and for customers.

    Another significant twist on the answer to where did you go really has
    nothing to do with the death of SCO, it has to do with the changing
    environment in general. traditionally eah customer got a server loaded with
    software. These days, since at least 3 or 4 years now, most customers opt to
    subscribe to a service where they facetwin or ssh (customized putty) in to
    our servers. so we aren't installing several new boxes a month anymore so
    some of the arguments above about 100 boxes may not apply any more. OTOH,
    it's easier to grow now with one code base to maintain and develop and a
    relatively few in-house and co-located servers to maintain to support the
    same number of users, so who knows.

    I have a bunch of customers with osr5 boxes still, and I still beleive it or
    not to this day have xenix boxes out there still ticking over in production.
    I do now and intent to continue to keep my sco chops up, for a variety of
    technical and personal reasons, but I have not installed a new sco box in 2
    years and do not plan to, although because the types of places where SCO is
    used tend to be situations where if you already have an installation that
    just need to be moved to new hardware that the best move is often actually
    to stay on SCO even despite all the reasons not to, other reasons simple
    weigh _more_, so certainly I may still install the occasional new SCO box. I
    have tried and rejected osr6 utterly. (Though for the same reasons as above,
    it might be necessary sometime and if it is, I'll do it) Should have and
    could have been great. Feel terrible for all the work that must have gone
    into it so far. I had the pleasure to meet Evan Hunt at Heinlein Centennial
    this year and got a sense of how much these people put into what they did.
    Which I already knew anyways. But, it's just bad timing and bad luck that
    this awsome uber-unix that almost got bitrthed only barely got started
    before the parent lost it's mind and went on a mad killing spree and had to
    be put down.

    I do not rejoice in the death of SCO.

    > Desktops and Servers needing recent JDK => Ubuntu
    > Servers => FreeBSD
    >
    > Long Live FreeBSD!
    >
    > --
    > wdv
    >
    > (My answer may not count since I am not a wizard. I believe I failed the
    > sample online SCO admin test with about a 68%. Though with Google today, I
    > believe I could get it closer to 98%. Information at my fingertips is all
    > I need. Do I really have to remember how to read pacct files, or do I need
    > to know how use tools to find out how to use it quickly? Hum. Sounds like
    > sour grapes.)

  6. Re: What about all the SCO Wizards?

    Brian K. White wrote:

    > Heinlein Centennial

    I grew up reading the Heinlein juveniles - I always viewed RAH as my smart
    uncle.

    SuSE is an interesting choice. It was initially based on Slackware but of
    course has gone it's own way but I can still see some of the Slackware
    bones and muscle in a modern SuSE install.

    I started with Slackware back in '95 while a Microsoft systems administrator
    and gradually moved all my network services over to Linux over the years.
    As of 2001 I have been Windows free both at home and at the shop.

    I still have to work in Windows environments but I try to keep away from
    taking care of Microsoft's mistakes.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Success to you for the future.

  7. Re: What about all the SCO Wizards?

    Walter Vaughan wrote:

    > Red Rocket wrote:
    >
    >> Where is everybody, professionally?

    > Desktops and Servers needing recent JDK => Ubuntu
    > Servers => FreeBSD
    >
    > Long Live FreeBSD!
    >
    > --
    > wdv
    >
    > (My answer may not count since I am not a wizard. I believe I failed the
    > sample online SCO admin test with about a 68%. Though with Google today, I
    > believe I could get it closer to 98%. Information at my fingertips is all
    > I need. Do I really have to remember how to read pacct files, or do I need
    > to know how use tools to find out how to use it quickly? Hum. Sounds like
    > sour grapes.)

    According to Mr. White you a very skilled fellow.

    Long live FreeBSD, agreed!

  8. Thanks to everybody who replied. <eom>

    Red Rocket wrote:

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread