piped network between two sco computers - SCO

This is a discussion on piped network between two sco computers - SCO ; I heard there is a way to pipe two sco computers together for transferring data. It's called pipe something. Does anyone have any info on this. Please advise. Thanks...

  1. piped network between two sco computers

    I heard there is a way to pipe two sco computers together
    for transferring data.
    It's called pipe something.
    Does anyone have any info on this.
    Please advise.
    Thanks

  2. Re: piped network between two sco computers

    On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 16:18:02 -0000, texastig
    wrote:

    >I heard there is a way to pipe two sco computers together
    >for transferring data.
    >It's called pipe something.
    >Does anyone have any info on this.
    >Please advise.
    >Thanks

    I don't know what "pipe something" would be, but maybe
    http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/datatran.html helps?

    Scott McMillan

  3. Re: piped network between two sco computers

    texastig typed (on Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 04:18:02PM -0000):
    | I heard there is a way to pipe two sco computers together
    | for transferring data.
    | It's called pipe something.
    | Does anyone have any info on this.
    | Please advise.
    | Thanks

    I'm not sure what you're talking about, but you can network lots of
    computers together (not just ones running SCO operating systems) via
    their serial ports, or via ethernet.

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  4. Re: piped network between two sco computers

    > On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 16:18:02 -0000, texastig
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I heard there is a way to pipe two sco computers together
    >>for transferring data.
    >>It's called pipe something.
    >>Does anyone have any info on this.
    >>Please advise.
    >>Thanks

    > I don't know what "pipe something" would be, but maybe
    > http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/datatran.html helps?
    >

    > Scott McMillan

    There is a pointless product called datapipe.

    Actually as far as I'm concerned it's not merely pointless but
    counter-productive by tricking you into wasting your time doing something in
    a propritary and also somewhat "wrong" way, when it was exactly as easy to
    do the same job using standard utils that are already built-in and free
    everywhere. It attempts to simplify something that can't actually get any
    simpler and still work, isn't actually any simpler than using various
    traditional utils anyways, yet you give up flexability by needing special
    software on both host and client.

    I beleive it's made by the makers of blast, which while not necessary
    either, at least served a purpose and added some value if you needed/wanted
    it's features. I don't see what blast did that can't be done in kermit or
    even in plain serial login, but it was maybe a little easier.

    I never used either for real, but found them already on machines where they
    used to be used, and have used them both enough to establish what they did
    and how to make them work, and then did the same thing with whatever
    traditional or standard util was appropriate to get the same job done. It
    was actually easier in the standard utils by virtue of more docs and
    recorded wisdom out there to be googled up.

  5. Re: piped network between two sco computers

    texastig wrote:
    > I heard there is a way to pipe two sco computers together
    > for transferring data.
    > It's called pipe something.
    > Does anyone have any info on this.
    > Please advise.
    > Thanks

    The traditional Unix way was something like

    cd srcdir; tar -cf - . | rsh othercomputer 'cd targetdir; tar xf -'

    But on OpenServer the name rsh is used for a restricted shell and the
    correct command for remote command execution is rcmd.

    But you can do it more securely with ssh (or scp).
    You can also use netcat.
    I use rsync.

  6. Re: piped network between two sco computers

    Try to look at netcat :
    http://aplawrence.com/KevinSmith/netcat/
    http://www.tkrh.demon.co.uk/netcat.html
    http://netcat.sourceforge.net/

    Bye
    Fede

    "texastig" ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:1185985082.148926.270340@l70g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    >I heard there is a way to pipe two sco computers together
    > for transferring data.
    > It's called pipe something.
    > Does anyone have any info on this.
    > Please advise.