SCO Unixware 2.1.x on VMware server 1.0.3 - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO Unixware 2.1.x on VMware server 1.0.3 - SCO ; I'm trying to install SCO Unixware 2.1.x on VMware server 1.0.3. I realze that this is an unsupported configuration (from VMware's perspective) we're doing this to provide a short term DR solution (peace-of-mind) for a critical Unixware 2.1 system until ...

  1. SCO Unixware 2.1.x on VMware server 1.0.3

    I'm trying to install SCO Unixware 2.1.x on VMware server 1.0.3. I
    realze that this is an unsupported configuration (from VMware's
    perspective) we're doing this to provide a short term DR solution
    (peace-of-mind) for a critical Unixware 2.1 system until it can be
    upgraded, migrated or phased out.

    The problem we're having is that the SCO installer is not recognizing
    the IDE controllers or CDROM drive. I have tried loading the ptf3116
    updated drivers and the hba212 driver disks to no avail. Within the
    DCU (Device Configuration Utility) I do see 3 unknown devices which I
    am assuming are the IDE controller, CDROM drive and Hard Drive but,
    the IRQ and I/O values do not seem to correspond to what I would
    expect VMware to be presenting, and appear uneditable.

    I have searched extensively on the web for documentation on this
    configuration. I have found posts saying that it is possible to
    complete this install however, I do not see any info on how it was
    done. If anyone can offer pointers or links to documentation we've
    missed I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

    Thanks,

    -Andy

  2. Re: SCO Unixware 2.1.x on VMware server 1.0.3

    On Jul 26, 4:16 pm, andy.rei...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm trying to install SCO Unixware 2.1.x on VMware server 1.0.3. I
    > realze that this is an unsupported configuration (from VMware's
    > perspective) we're doing this to provide a short term DR solution
    > (peace-of-mind) for a critical Unixware 2.1 system until it can be
    > upgraded, migrated or phased out.
    >
    > The problem we're having is that the SCO installer is not recognizing
    > the IDE controllers or CDROM drive. I have tried loading the ptf3116
    > updated drivers and the hba212 driver disks to no avail. Within the
    > DCU (Device Configuration Utility) I do see 3 unknown devices which I
    > am assuming are the IDE controller, CDROM drive and Hard Drive but,
    > the IRQ and I/O values do not seem to correspond to what I would
    > expect VMware to be presenting, and appear uneditable.
    >
    > I have searched extensively on the web for documentation on this
    > configuration. I have found posts saying that it is possible to
    > complete this install however, I do not see any info on how it was
    > done. If anyone can offer pointers or links to documentation we've
    > missed I would greatly appreciate the assistance.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Andy

    Just in case I'm not the only one trying to do this, I've found the
    answer. Download updated install boot disk and hba driver disk images
    from the SCO ftp server:

    readme files:

    ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/UW21/ptf3256.txt
    ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/UW21/ptf3116c.txt

    image files:
    ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/UW21/ptf3256.boot.dd
    ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/UW21/ptf3116c.hba.ide.dd.Z

    then install using them.

    1) rename the boot image to ptf3256.boot.img
    2) unzip the ptf3116c image
    3) rename the ptf3116c.hba.ide.dd file to ptf3116c.img
    4) boot the vm using the ptf3256.boot.img floppy disk image
    5) when prompted to install hba disks select yes and use the ptf3116c
    disk image

  3. Re: SCO Unixware 2.1.x on VMware server 1.0.3

    andy.reinke@gmail.com wrote:
    : Just in case I'm not the only one trying to do this, I've found the
    : answer. Download updated install boot disk and hba driver disk images

    Good you found out! How was the performance? A posting on the VMTN forums
    indicate that the performance running OSR under VMware isn't too good,
    and it would be interesting to know if it's the same issue on Unixware.

    http://www.vmware.com/community/thre...088&tstart=210

    Lars

+ Reply to Thread