OSR5.0.7: hidden files at the root directory - SCO

This is a discussion on OSR5.0.7: hidden files at the root directory - SCO ; Hello. After a fresh install of OSR 5.0.7, and once I had manually moved the "root" user home directory out of "/" and into its own "/root", i was left with these hidden files at the root directory: /.odtpref/ /.unixsyms ...

  1. OSR5.0.7: hidden files at the root directory

    Hello.

    After a fresh install of OSR 5.0.7, and once I had manually moved
    the "root" user home directory out of "/" and into its own "/root",
    i was left with these hidden files at the root directory:

    /.odtpref/
    /.unixsyms
    /.utillist2

    The first one is a hidden directory and I guess it has the "root"
    user preferences for the old Open DeskTop product. Is that right?
    Can it be moved then to my "root"'s home at "/root"?

    This is what the "file" command has to say about the second one:

    $ file /.unixsyms
    /.unixsyms: iAPX 386 COFF demand-paged executable not stripped

    There is a man page for sysdump(ADM), and from there it seems this
    file has the kernel symbols. Is that right?

    The third one is an ASCII file with some information which looks
    like could be of interest to the "scoadmin" utility. Is there any
    reason for it to be at the "/" directory?

    After installing Maintenance Pack 5, I got several more hidden
    files at the "/" directory:

    drwxr-xr-x 3 bin bin 512 Jul 14 02:43 /.channels
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root sys 30 Jul 14 02:43 /.depdb -> /opt/K/SCO/php4/4.4.2Ba/.depdb
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root sys 34 Jul 14 02:43 /.depdblock -> /opt/K/SCO/php4/4.4.2Ba/.depdblock
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root sys 32 Jul 14 02:43 /.filemap -> /opt/K/SCO/php4/4.4.2Ba/.filemap
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root sys 29 Jul 14 02:43 /.lock -> /opt/K/SCO/php4/4.4.2Ba/.lock

    The "/.channels" directory and the other files, are them all relative
    to PHP4, which was installed (or just updated, I'm not sure, I just
    did a default MP5 install over my OSR5.0.7 system, which was installed
    with the "Lightweight character terminal" system profile).

    It strikes me as quite ugly to see all those PHP4 files there, at the
    root directory no less! Has it to be like that? Could they be moved to
    some other place?; if yes, where should they go?

    Also, I have another question. I noticed all this because the "ls"
    command, when invoked by the "root" user, always shows hidden files
    regardless of the "-a" parameter. Why is "ls" doing that? Can it be
    reverted to more "standard" behavior?

    Best regards,

    Pepe.

  2. Re: OSR5.0.7: hidden files at the root directory

    pepe@naleco.com wrote:

    > After a fresh install of OSR 5.0.7, and once I had manually moved
    > the "root" user home directory out of "/" and into its own "/root",
    > i was left with these hidden files at the root directory:
    >
    > /.odtpref/
    > /.unixsyms
    > /.utillist2
    >
    > The first one is a hidden directory and I guess it has the "root"
    > user preferences for the old Open DeskTop product. Is that right?
    > Can it be moved then to my "root"'s home at "/root"?

    That's a per-user directory, move it to your new home directory.

    > This is what the "file" command has to say about the second one:
    >
    > $ file /.unixsyms
    > /.unixsyms: iAPX 386 COFF demand-paged executable not stripped
    >
    > There is a man page for sysdump(ADM), and from there it seems this
    > file has the kernel symbols. Is that right?

    Right. It's a per-system file and should stay in /.

    > The third one is an ASCII file with some information which looks
    > like could be of interest to the "scoadmin" utility. Is there any
    > reason for it to be at the "/" directory?

    It's a per-user file that has to do with `scosh` and related
    character-mode apps. Move to /root/.

    > After installing Maintenance Pack 5, I got several more hidden
    > files at the "/" directory:
    >
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 bin bin 512 Jul 14 02:43 /.channels
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root sys 30 Jul 14 02:43 /.depdb -> /opt/K/SCO/php4/4.4.2Ba/.depdb
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root sys 34 Jul 14 02:43 /.depdblock -> /opt/K/SCO/php4/4.4.2Ba/.depdblock
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root sys 32 Jul 14 02:43 /.filemap -> /opt/K/SCO/php4/4.4.2Ba/.filemap
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root sys 29 Jul 14 02:43 /.lock -> /opt/K/SCO/php4/4.4.2Ba/.lock
    >
    > The "/.channels" directory and the other files, are them all relative
    > to PHP4, which was installed (or just updated, I'm not sure, I just
    > did a default MP5 install over my OSR5.0.7 system, which was installed
    > with the "Lightweight character terminal" system profile).
    >
    > It strikes me as quite ugly to see all those PHP4 files there, at the
    > root directory no less! Has it to be like that? Could they be moved to
    > some other place?; if yes, where should they go?

    These are per-system files/directories and presumably their location has
    been hard-compiled into the MP5 build of PHP. So just put up with them.

    > Also, I have another question. I noticed all this because the "ls"
    > command, when invoked by the "root" user, always shows hidden files
    > regardless of the "-a" parameter. Why is "ls" doing that? Can it be
    > reverted to more "standard" behavior?

    That _was_ standard behavior for `ls` for most of early Unix history.
    Perhaps you should ask how to revert all your other GNU `ls` binaries to
    the standard behavior? But mainly you should either get used to / put
    up with the differences; or supply your root account with an `ls` alias
    that parses the args and adds/removes "-a" according to your desires.

    >Bela<

  3. Re: OSR5.0.7: hidden files at the root directory

    Bela Lubkin wrote:
    >> Also, I have another question. I noticed all this because the "ls"
    >> command, when invoked by the "root" user, always shows hidden files
    >> regardless of the "-a" parameter. Why is "ls" doing that? Can it be
    >> reverted to more "standard" behavior?

    > That _was_ standard behavior for `ls` for most of early Unix history.
    > Perhaps you should ask how to revert all your other GNU `ls` binaries to
    > the standard behavior? But mainly you should either get used to / put
    > up with the differences; or supply your root account with an `ls` alias
    > that parses the args and adds/removes "-a" according to your desires.

    I see here:
    http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/...lities/ls.html that
    both OSR5 and GNU behavior for the "ls" command can be considered to fit
    into the letter of the "standard". There is also a funny mention about
    "historical implementations"... So, while OSR5's "ls" behavior does
    indeed fit *also* into the "official standard", it is certainly "uncommon".

    Now, "uncommon" is a word which lends itself to several connotations,
    into which I have no desire to dwell.

    Regards,

    Pepe.

  4. Re: OSR5.0.7: hidden files at the root directory

    In article , Pepe wrote:
    >Also, I have another question. I noticed all this because the "ls"
    >command, when invoked by the "root" user, always shows hidden files
    >regardless of the "-a" parameter. Why is "ls" doing that? Can it be
    >reverted to more "standard" behavior?

    Someone thought it was a good idea long, long ago - like the behavior of GNU
    ls, which inherited the BSD tradition of varying its listing format based on
    whether the output is a tty or not.

    It's specifically -A that is initially inverted for root, not -a. This is
    relevant because the effect of -A can be toggled. If you do "ls -A", you'll
    get the effect you want. You can create a shell function or script that always
    adds -A to ls, and since each -A toggles the effect, you'll still be able to
    see hidden files by giving an additional -A on the command line.

    John

  5. Re: OSR5.0.7: hidden files at the root directory

    John DuBois wrote:
    > In article , Pepe wrote:
    >> Also, I have another question. I noticed all this because the "ls"
    >> command, when invoked by the "root" user, always shows hidden files
    >> regardless of the "-a" parameter. Why is "ls" doing that? Can it be
    >> reverted to more "standard" behavior?

    > Someone thought it was a good idea long, long ago - like the behavior of GNU
    > ls, which inherited the BSD tradition of varying its listing format based on
    > whether the output is a tty or not.
    >
    > It's specifically -A that is initially inverted for root, not -a. This is
    > relevant because the effect of -A can be toggled. If you do "ls -A", you'll
    > get the effect you want. You can create a shell function or script that always
    > adds -A to ls, and since each -A toggles the effect, you'll still be able to
    > see hidden files by giving an additional -A on the command line.

    Oh, I see: it's the "-A" switch which toggles it. I was issuing the
    command "ls -a" in vain in an attempt to revert "ls" behavior when
    invoked as root, and it obviously kept showing those hidden files. So
    alias ls='ls -A' did the trick (I'm running the Korn shell for root).

    Thanks for pointing out this subtlety.

+ Reply to Thread