Console/tty redirection when logging in remotely - SCO

This is a discussion on Console/tty redirection when logging in remotely - SCO ; We have an application running on SCO Openserver 6.0. We run a job on one of the tty's from the console. It runs our overnight processing. It would be of great benefit if we could see what the output is ...

  1. Console/tty redirection when logging in remotely

    We have an application running on SCO Openserver 6.0. We run a job on
    one of the tty's from the console. It runs our overnight processing.
    It would be of great benefit if we could see what the output is on
    that terminal while connected to the server through an SSH session
    remotely. If the job happens to hang the only way to know what is
    happening is to view the tty from the server console.

    Here is what I seek. We start our overnight processing on tty5 from
    the server console. I then VPN into my network. I then somehow would
    be able to SSH or something of the likes that would allow me to view
    what is on that tty5 console screen.

    Thanking you in advance for your input into this!!!

    Justenglabs...

  2. Re: Console/tty redirection when logging in remotely

    On Jul 23, 9:21 am, justengl...@gmail.com wrote:
    > We have an application running on SCO Openserver 6.0. We run a job on
    > one of the tty's from the console. It runs our overnight processing.
    > It would be of great benefit if we could see what the output is on
    > that terminal while connected to the server through an SSH session
    > remotely. If the job happens to hang the only way to know what is
    > happening is to view the tty from the server console.
    >
    > Here is what I seek. We start our overnight processing on tty5 from
    > the server console. I then VPN into my network. I then somehow would
    > be able to SSH or something of the likes that would allow me to view
    > what is on that tty5 console screen.
    >
    > Thanking you in advance for your input into this!!!
    >
    > Justenglabs...

    Would "script" be useful?

    >From http://osr600doc.sco.com/en/man/html.TC/script.TC.html

    "script keeps a record of everything printed on your terminal in a
    file that can be sent to the printer...."

    Good luck,
    Dan Martin

  3. Re: Console/tty redirection when logging in remotely

    Dan Martin wrote:
    > On Jul 23, 9:21 am, justengl...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > We have an application running on SCO Openserver 6.0. We run a job on
    > > one of the tty's from the console. It runs our overnight processing.
    > > It would be of great benefit if we could see what the output is on
    > > that terminal while connected to the server through an SSH session
    > > remotely. If the job happens to hang the only way to know what is
    > > happening is to view the tty from the server console.
    > >
    > > Here is what I seek. We start our overnight processing on tty5 from
    > > the server console. I then VPN into my network. I then somehow would
    > > be able to SSH or something of the likes that would allow me to view
    > > what is on that tty5 console screen.
    > >
    > > Thanking you in advance for your input into this!!!
    > >
    > > Justenglabs...

    > Would "script" be useful?
    >
    > >From http://osr600doc.sco.com/en/man/html.TC/script.TC.html

    > "script keeps a record of everything printed on your terminal in a
    > file that can be sent to the printer...."
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Dan Martin

    Thanks Dan...

    The script might help. Will try it and see what happens. The
    software package already redirects the output to files. The problem
    with the redirection from within the application is that if the
    application hangs it does not perform the redirection/log file
    creation. Hence, we are blind to the data on the screen.

  4. Re: Console/tty redirection when logging in remotely

    wrote in message
    news:1185196893.059406.18930@n2g2000hse.googlegrou ps.com...
    > We have an application running on SCO Openserver 6.0. We run a job on
    > one of the tty's from the console. It runs our overnight processing.
    > It would be of great benefit if we could see what the output is on
    > that terminal while connected to the server through an SSH session
    > remotely. If the job happens to hang the only way to know what is
    > happening is to view the tty from the server console.
    >
    > Here is what I seek. We start our overnight processing on tty5 from
    > the server console. I then VPN into my network. I then somehow would
    > be able to SSH or something of the likes that would allow me to view
    > what is on that tty5 console screen.

    Have you tried products like DoubleView?

    Ron

  5. Re: Console/tty redirection when logging in remotely

    justenglabs@gmail.com wrote:

    > We have an application running on SCO Openserver 6.0. We run a job on
    > one of the tty's from the console. It runs our overnight processing.
    > It would be of great benefit if we could see what the output is on
    > that terminal while connected to the server through an SSH session
    > remotely. If the job happens to hang the only way to know what is
    > happening is to view the tty from the server console.
    >
    > Here is what I seek. We start our overnight processing on tty5 from
    > the server console. I then VPN into my network. I then somehow would
    > be able to SSH or something of the likes that would allow me to view
    > what is on that tty5 console screen.

    I use GNU `screen` for this purpose. One of its capabilities is that
    you can detach from a running session, then reconnect to it later from
    any interactive tty device.

    One way that I use it is as follows (you should be able to see how it
    relates to your use). Suppose I have a *ix system that's crashing with
    some sort of kernel panic. Most OSes can be configured so that a kernel
    debugger comes up after a panic. But if I want to remotely access this,
    it's easiest to do over a serial port. So I will connect the panicky
    system to a "buddy" system's serial port. Then I'll leave a terminal
    program running under GNU `screen`, on the buddy, connected to the
    panicky system. I can detach from the buddy and reconnect to it later
    over an Internet login (ssh).

    GNU `screen` can also be configured to have as much scrollback space as
    you want. I usually set it up for 1000 lines per session. Then if a
    panic happens, I can see a good bit of the prior action.

    An OSR6 build of `screen` is in:

    ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr6/vols/

    with sources in:

    ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr6/src/term/
    ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr6/src/patches/

    >Bela<

  6. Re: Console/tty redirection when logging in remotely

    You need doublevision.
    Except you need the old version. It sucks now. They forgot the original
    _point_ of the thing and improved it to death just like everybody does to
    everything.

    For osr5 there is a TLS that includes a thing called spyfs that supposedly
    lets you share share tty's also, that would be a lot cruder than dv but it's
    free.

    For osr6 I have no idea. I don't know if ttysnoop (linux) was ever ported to
    unixware and very much doubt the osr5 spyfs thing would work on osr6 since
    it involves a kernel patch / driver.

    Someone also sells a product called peek, no idea if they made a unixware
    version but seems likely since they had several versions last I looked.

    Google peek and doublevision.

    > We have an application running on SCO Openserver 6.0. We run a job on
    > one of the tty's from the console. It runs our overnight processing.
    > It would be of great benefit if we could see what the output is on
    > that terminal while connected to the server through an SSH session
    > remotely. If the job happens to hang the only way to know what is
    > happening is to view the tty from the server console.
    >
    > Here is what I seek. We start our overnight processing on tty5 from
    > the server console. I then VPN into my network. I then somehow would
    > be able to SSH or something of the likes that would allow me to view
    > what is on that tty5 console screen.
    >
    > Thanking you in advance for your input into this!!!
    >
    > Justenglabs...

  7. Re: Console/tty redirection when logging in remotely

    In article <003c01c7cd67$1ca17f60$6700000a@venti>,
    Brian K. White wrote:
    >For osr5 there is a TLS that includes a thing called spyfs that supposedly
    >lets you share share tty's also, that would be a lot cruder than dv but it's
    >free.
    >
    >For osr6 I have no idea. I don't know if ttysnoop (linux) was ever ported to
    >unixware and very much doubt the osr5 spyfs thing would work on osr6 since
    >it involves a kernel patch / driver.

    spyfs looks at clists, which are not used by OSR6,
    so it would not be possible to port it to OSR6.
    The equivalent thing for OSR6 would probably be
    implemented as a streams module.

    John

  8. Re: Console/tty redirection when logging in remotely

    In article <1185196893.059406.18930@n2g2000hse.googlegroups.co m>,
    wrote:
    >We have an application running on SCO Openserver 6.0. We run a job on
    >one of the tty's from the console. It runs our overnight processing.
    >It would be of great benefit if we could see what the output is on
    >that terminal while connected to the server through an SSH session
    >remotely. If the job happens to hang the only way to know what is
    >happening is to view the tty from the server console.
    >
    >Here is what I seek. We start our overnight processing on tty5 from
    >the server console. I then VPN into my network. I then somehow would
    >be able to SSH or something of the likes that would allow me to view
    >what is on that tty5 console screen.
    >
    >Thanking you in advance for your input into this!!!
    >
    >Justenglabs...

    How about running it under nohup. While it makes the program
    'immune to hangups' as the man pages say, I routinely use it when
    I'm rebuilding a system from sources remotely. Then I log out, and
    I can check later on the nohup.out file and see if there are
    errors, or I could page through that file to see all that is going
    on.

    And I typically run it with 'time nohup '&
    to put it in the background so I can log out.

    For >MY< purposes it's far better than 'script' which gives
    an output more suited to MS type environments - eg the CR at
    the end of each line.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  9. Re: Console/tty redirection when logging in remotely

    Brian K. White wrote:
    > You need doublevision.
    > Except you need the old version. It sucks now. They forgot the original
    > _point_ of the thing and improved it to death just like everybody does to
    > everything.
    >
    > For osr5 there is a TLS that includes a thing called spyfs that supposedly
    > lets you share share tty's also, that would be a lot cruder than dv but it's
    > free.
    >
    > For osr6 I have no idea. I don't know if ttysnoop (linux) was ever ported to
    > unixware and very much doubt the osr5 spyfs thing would work on osr6 since
    > it involves a kernel patch / driver.
    >
    > Someone also sells a product called peek, no idea if they made a unixware
    > version but seems likely since they had several versions last I looked.
    >
    > Google peek and doublevision.

    In Linux, being root, you can simply "cat" a virtual console to read
    what's on it:

    # cat /dev/vcs2

    That would show the contents on the Linux virtual console #2. You can
    format it with the "fold" GNU command:

    # fold -w 80 /dev/vcs2

    The "-w" parameter informs the "fold" command where should a line break
    be placed, otherwise it all would be a very long line (80 works well if
    you are using a standard 80x25 text based console display).

    I don't know whether an /dev/tty0x device can be read as easily in OSR5...

  10. Re: Console/tty redirection when logging in remotely

    Brian K. White wrote:

    > Someone also sells a product called peek, no idea if they made a unixware
    > version but seems likely since they had several versions last I looked.
    >
    > Google peek and doublevision.

    Yep, we still are around and fully support PEEK. And we
    have not messed up the way it works ;-)

    We have versions for SCO 5, a different version for SCO
    OpenServer 6, and another version for Unixware 7... (as well
    as a zillion other Unixes). Details at our website,
    http://www.computronics.com

    You can view what a user is doing, log to a file, type on
    their behalf (poke mode), and lots more.

    Thanks!

    > > We have an application running on SCO Openserver 6.0. We run a job on
    > > one of the tty's from the console. It runs our overnight processing.
    > > It would be of great benefit if we could see what the output is on
    > > that terminal while connected to the server through an SSH session
    > > remotely. If the job happens to hang the only way to know what is
    > > happening is to view the tty from the server console.
    > >
    > > Here is what I seek. We start our overnight processing on tty5 from
    > > the server console. I then VPN into my network. I then somehow would
    > > be able to SSH or something of the likes that would allow me to view
    > > what is on that tty5 console screen.
    > >
    > > Thanking you in advance for your input into this!!!

    | Computronics Randy Styka, info@computronics.com |
    | 4N165 Wood Dale Road Phone: 630/941-7767 |
    | Addison, Illinois 60101 USA Fax: 630/941-7714 |