Emergency Disk with USB Floppy Drive? - SCO

This is a discussion on Emergency Disk with USB Floppy Drive? - SCO ; We are trying to make some emergency disks using a usb floppy drive on sco 7.1.4. Unfortunately we have no unix expert here on site and the company we use for third party support are having troubles helping. Here is ...

  1. Emergency Disk with USB Floppy Drive?

    We are trying to make some emergency disks using a usb floppy drive on sco
    7.1.4. Unfortunately we have no unix expert here on site and the company we
    use for third party support are having troubles helping. Here is the
    scenario.

    In scoadmin the floppy is mounted as the following /dev/dsk/c4b0t0d0p0 on
    /mnt with dosfs filesystem. This mounts ok.

    We are able to write to it by changing to the mount point on unix and
    copying a file. This all works ok. But when we try the emergency_disk
    command it doesnt even try to access the drive just comes back that no
    floppy is found or formatted. It is as if the emergency_disk command is
    looking for an internal/ide floppy drive.

    Can anyone help please?

    Thanks in advance

    ICTUser

  2. Re: Emergency Disk with USB Floppy Drive?

    ICTUser wrote:
    > We are trying to make some emergency disks using a usb floppy drive on sco
    > 7.1.4. Unfortunately we have no unix expert here on site and the company we
    > use for third party support are having troubles helping. Here is the
    > scenario.
    >
    > In scoadmin the floppy is mounted as the following /dev/dsk/c4b0t0d0p0 on
    > /mnt with dosfs filesystem. This mounts ok.
    >
    > We are able to write to it by changing to the mount point on unix and
    > copying a file. This all works ok. But when we try the emergency_disk
    > command it doesnt even try to access the drive just comes back that no
    > floppy is found or formatted. It is as if the emergency_disk command is
    > looking for an internal/ide floppy drive.
    >
    > Can anyone help please?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > ICTUser

    IMHO forget using the included tools if you do not have easy access to
    support or are an old hand at this.

    Instead use a supported commercial backup/recovery product like
    BackupEdge or Lone-Tar.

    Generate an emergency boot CD using Microlites RecoverEdge product,
    included with Backup Edge, and get bit level verified backups that can
    be used for "one button" bare metal restores using the RecoverEdge CD.

    Download a full function demo at www.microlite.com or, for Lone-Tar, at
    www.lone-tar.com.

    Disclaimer: We are a Microlite dealer.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  3. Re: Emergency Disk with USB Floppy Drive?

    Pat Welch wrote:
    > ICTUser wrote:
    >
    >>We are trying to make some emergency disks using a usb floppy drive on sco
    >>7.1.4. Unfortunately we have no unix expert here on site and the company we
    >>use for third party support are having troubles helping. Here is the
    >>scenario.
    >>
    >>In scoadmin the floppy is mounted as the following /dev/dsk/c4b0t0d0p0 on
    >>/mnt with dosfs filesystem. This mounts ok.
    >>
    >>We are able to write to it by changing to the mount point on unix and
    >>copying a file. This all works ok. But when we try the emergency_disk
    >>command it doesnt even try to access the drive just comes back that no
    >>floppy is found or formatted. It is as if the emergency_disk command is
    >>looking for an internal/ide floppy drive.
    >>
    >>Can anyone help please?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance
    >>
    >>ICTUser

    > IMHO forget using the included tools if you do not have easy access to
    > support or are an old hand at this.
    >
    > Instead use a supported commercial backup/recovery product like
    > BackupEdge or Lone-Tar.
    >
    > Generate an emergency boot CD using Microlites RecoverEdge product,
    > included with Backup Edge, and get bit level verified backups that can
    > be used for "one button" bare metal restores using the RecoverEdge CD.
    >
    > Download a full function demo at www.microlite.com or, for Lone-Tar, at
    > www.lone-tar.com.
    >
    > Disclaimer: We are a Microlite dealer.

    I agree with the above statement, not to mention that I *think* support
    for floppies has been removed from emergency_disk (for sure in SCO OS6 -
    not sure for UW7).

    --
    Roberto Zini - r.zini<@AT@>strhold.it
    "Has anybody around here seen an aircraft carrier?"

+ Reply to Thread