reserve ttyp range for telnet/ssh - SCO

This is a discussion on reserve ttyp range for telnet/ssh - SCO ; i have a site with a large user base using mscreen, with customized mscreenrc's per user that reserve ttyp numbers. they are finally biting the bullet and adding PC's. How can I make it so that pseudo-ttys (ttyp*) assigned by ...

  1. reserve ttyp range for telnet/ssh

    i have a site with a large user base using mscreen, with customized
    mscreenrc's per user that reserve ttyp numbers. they are finally biting
    the bullet and adding PC's. How can I make it so that pseudo-ttys (ttyp*)
    assigned by telnetd and sshd use a completely different range so that
    it doesn't mess with the existing mscreen ttyp reserved number setup?

    if there is no way, i guess i can script a mass reassignment of the
    mscreen pseudo-tty's to a high-range, but i'm trying to avoid that
    as i don't know how many places they are hardwired in.

    --- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ---
    -Joe Chasan- Magnatech Business Systems, Inc.
    joe@magnatechonline.com Hicksville, NY - USA
    http://www.MagnatechOnline.com Tel.(516) 931-4444/Fax.(516) 931-1264

  2. Re: reserve ttyp range for telnet/ssh

    In article <20070713185407.A18644@magnatechonline.com>,
    Joe Chasan wrote:
    >i have a site with a large user base using mscreen, with customized
    >mscreenrc's per user that reserve ttyp numbers. they are finally biting
    >the bullet and adding PC's. How can I make it so that pseudo-ttys (ttyp*)
    >assigned by telnetd and sshd use a completely different range so that
    >it doesn't mess with the existing mscreen ttyp reserved number setup?

    You can tell telnetd what range of pty numbers to use with its -r option,
    described in the telnetd man page (this feature was added in 5.0.7, possibly an
    MP). You'd add this option to the telnet line in /etc/inetd.conf. So, you
    could make telnetd use a high range of ptys and leave the low ones for mscreen.
    But, I don't know of anything you can do about ssh.

    John