Java 1.5 on SCO 5.0.6 - SCO

This is a discussion on Java 1.5 on SCO 5.0.6 - SCO ; Hi, I am trying to get some java programs running on my SCO systems - but they are written for java 1.5 and I can't find any files higher than java 1.3 for 5.0.6. I have tried installing the java ...

  1. Java 1.5 on SCO 5.0.6

    Hi,

    I am trying to get some java programs running on my SCO systems - but
    they are written for java 1.5 and I can't find any files higher than
    java 1.3 for 5.0.6.

    I have tried installing the java 1.5 VOL files for OSR6, and they
    install through custom alright, but I am getting an error when I try
    to run 'java'

    # java -version
    dynamic linker : java : could not open /usr/lib/libthread.so.1
    Killed

    Can anyone help either get the OSR6 version working on 5.0.6 or does
    anyone know if there is a version for 5.0.6

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Keith

  2. Re: Java 1.5 on SCO 5.0.6

    On 13 Jul, 16:17, crym...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to get some java programs running on my SCO systems - but
    > they are written for java 1.5 and I can't find any files higher than
    > java 1.3 for 5.0.6.
    >
    > I have tried installing the java 1.5 VOL files for OSR6, and they
    > install through custom alright, but I am getting an error when I try
    > to run 'java'
    >
    > # java -version
    > dynamic linker : java : could not open /usr/lib/libthread.so.1
    > Killed
    >
    > Can anyone help either get the OSR6 version working on 5.0.6 or does
    > anyone know if there is a version for 5.0.6
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Keith

    Keith,

    Unfortunately Java 1.5 is not supported and will not run on
    OpenServer 5.0.6. If you want to run Java 1.5 programs
    you will need to upgrade to OpenServer 6.0.0.

    John

  3. Re: Java 1.5 on SCO 5.0.6

    On 17 Jul, 08:18, jbol...@sco.com wrote:
    > On 13 Jul, 16:17, crym...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > Hi,

    > > I am trying to get some java programs running on my SCO systems - but
    > > they are written for java 1.5 and I can't find any files higher than
    > > java 1.3 for 5.0.6.

    > > I have tried installing the java 1.5 VOL files for OSR6, and they
    > > install through custom alright, but I am getting an error when I try
    > > to run 'java'

    > > # java -version
    > > dynamic linker : java : could not open /usr/lib/libthread.so.1
    > > Killed

    > > Can anyone help either get the OSR6 version working on 5.0.6 or does
    > > anyone know if there is a version for 5.0.6

    > > Any help would be much appreciated.

    > > Thanks,

    > > Keith

    > Keith,
    >
    > Unfortunately Java 1.5 is not supported and will not run on
    > OpenServer 5.0.6. If you want to run Java 1.5 programs
    > you will need to upgrade to OpenServer 6.0.0.
    >
    > John

    Thanks John - But I'm afraid that the upgrade won't be happening for a
    while though which is why I wanted to get it working on 5.0.6.

  4. Re: Java 1.5 on SCO 5.0.6

    crymble@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 17 Jul, 08:18, jbol...@sco.com wrote:
    >>Unfortunately Java 1.5 is not supported and will not run on
    >>OpenServer 5.0.6. If you want to run Java 1.5 programs
    >>you will need to upgrade to OpenServer 6.0.0.

    > Thanks John - But I'm afraid that the upgrade won't be happening for a
    > while though which is why I wanted to get it working on 5.0.6.

    While not impossible, Here's where you could start
    http://download.java.net/tiger/

    What you will need is a working 1.4.4 JRE
    and stuff like GNU make, Motif headers and libs, ODBC, and of course GCC

    AFAIK there is no real reason given enough time or experience to get this to work.

    ON THE OTHER HAND

    you may be able leverage lxrun to run linux java binaries.
    http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~steven/lxrun/

    --
    Walter

+ Reply to Thread