Scoanso terminal emulator for Linux - SCO

This is a discussion on Scoanso terminal emulator for Linux - SCO ; Hi all, All is in, the title, On a light linux PC, I want install a Scoansi terminal emulator. Do somebobody know it ? Telnet don't work correctly with Functions Keys. Thank you in advance. -- Andre GEORGEL...

  1. Scoanso terminal emulator for Linux

    --
    Andre GEORGEL

  2. Re: Scoanso terminal emulator for Linux

    andre.georgel wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > All is in, the title,
    > On a light linux PC, I want install a Scoansi terminal emulator.
    >
    > Do somebobody know it ?
    >
    > Telnet don't work correctly with Functions Keys.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.

    The Linux console has a terminal type of "linux". Have you considered
    installing a "linux" entry in termcap & terminfo on your SCO system?

  3. Re: Scoanso terminal emulator for Linux

    Ian Wilson a écrit :
    > andre.georgel wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> All is in, the title,
    >> On a light linux PC, I want install a Scoansi terminal emulator.
    >>
    >> Do somebobody know it ?
    >>
    >> Telnet don't work correctly with Functions Keys.
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance.
    >>

    > The Linux console has a terminal type of "linux". Have you considered
    > installing a "linux" entry in termcap & terminfo on your SCO system?

    No but it is a way.
    Thank you.

    --
    Andre GEORGEL

  4. Re: Scoanso terminal emulator for Linux

    In article ,
    andre.georgel wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >
    >All is in, the title,
    >On a light linux PC, I want install a Scoansi terminal emulator.
    >
    >Do somebobody know it ?
    >
    >Telnet don't work correctly with Functions Keys.
    >
    >Thank you in advance.
    >
    >--
    >Andre GEORGEL

    Have you tried setting your terminal on the Linux machine
    to one of the SCO implemnations in terminfo.

    Just checking in on a SuSE machine is see scoansi, scoansi-new,
    and sco-ansi-old.

    You shouldn't have to install anything. Just start a new shell
    and set your terminal type. Then when you exit that shell you are
    back to your normal Linux environment.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  5. Re: Scoanso terminal emulator for Linux

    How will setting TERM to scoansi cause his unspecified terminal to stop
    behaving like a whatever-it-is and start behaving like a SCO console? And
    without knowing what that unspecified terminal is we can't answer anyways.
    xterm? linux console? gnome-terminal? kde-terminal? rxvt? Eterm? any of the
    other 25 other xterm-alikes, some of which have linux console as well as
    xterm modes? Except to launch into a ground-up lesson on terminals and
    servers so he at least can ask a meaningful question that can be answered.

    It IS possible to hammer and saw the actual linux console into behaving
    almost, crudely, like scoansi through a combination of loadkeys, setfont,
    stty, tput, and setting the TERM variable, but it would be a retarded thing
    to do.

    The most convenient answer is to use a terminal emulator that has both
    scoansi and linux modes.
    This is most easy from a windows desk where you have about 100 choices of
    terminal emulator with all manner of different features to suit your tastes.
    Putty is free but requires more manual configuration to emulate sco well.
    Many commercial ones have a nice easy single menu choice that sets sco ansi
    mode. But there are at least Century Software's TERM and PuTTY available on
    linux that each can be made to emulate scoansi. Doing anything else and then
    complaining that it doesn't work well or isn't conveient is about like
    complaining to a doctor that it hurts whenever you hit your thumb with a
    hammer.

    The most correct answer of course, when the option is available and
    practical, is to install linux termcap & terminfo on the SCO box. It would
    be a good idea to also istall "xterm-color" from linux too. Then, it doesn't
    matter if you telnet from the console, or gnome-terminal when it happens to
    be in linux-console mode. Unfortunately though, there is no especially neat
    answer for xterm & xterm-alikes in xterm mode, since they all by defult set
    TERM to "xterm" and there already is an "xterm" definition on sco, and that
    definition does not accurately describe the way Xfree86/xorg xterms behave.
    It does accurately describe the way the sco xterms behave though so you
    don't want to modify or replace it either. The cleanest answer there is,
    IMO, to install the xfree86/xorg xterm definitions for xterm-color on sco
    and then when telnetting from an xterm or xterm-alike on linux or freebsd,
    set TERM to xterm-color. You can also modify the desktop/menu shortcut on
    the linux box to add "-tn xterm-color" to the command line which shouldn't
    adverseley affect the way the window works locally, and then when telnetting
    to sco, TERM would already be set to xterm-color so it would be more or less
    seamless.

    The crude but often sufficient answer for short sessions to random sco boxes
    where it's more hassle than it's worth to get either linux or xterm-color
    termcap & terminfo installed, and you don't have putty or term or a windows
    desk, and simply must use the linux console to telnet to a sco box that you
    don't have time or inclination to fully configure to understand linux
    consoles, is to just set TERM to vt100 or xterm, both of which have
    definitions in SCO already that happen to be kinda almost similar enough to
    a linux console that most things work. The first 4 or 5 f-keys still won't
    work no matter what since no terminal definition in the stock sco
    termcap/terminfo has fkeys that use the same sequences as the linux console
    does for f1-f5. Several have the same sequences from f5-f12. just search for
    [17~ in the sco termcap file and step through them all. Supposedly the linux
    console is most like vt220, but the vt220 definition in the sco termcap file
    has fkey definitions that are even further from linux than the xterm
    definition. Colors and line-drawing characters work well though.

    Which reminds me we haven't even mentioned the whole unicode problem yet...
    Back to "Just use a terminal emulator".

    >>On a light linux PC, I want install a Scoansi terminal emulator.
    >>
    >>Do somebobody know it ?
    >>
    >>Telnet don't work correctly with Functions Keys.
    >>
    >>Thank you in advance.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Andre GEORGEL
    >>

    > Have you tried setting your terminal on the Linux machine
    > to one of the SCO implemnations in terminfo.
    >
    > Just checking in on a SuSE machine is see scoansi, scoansi-new,
    > and sco-ansi-old.
    >
    > You shouldn't have to install anything. Just start a new shell
    > and set your terminal type. Then when you exit that shell you are
    > back to your normal Linux environment.
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com