G hd_config Error - SCO

This is a discussion on G hd_config Error - SCO ; OS: OSR5.0.4 I have an ancient OSR5.0.4 system I need to retrieve some files from which has been shutdown for months. Upon booting, I initially received a "No boot drive found" but now get to the boot: prompt and then ...

  1. G hd_config Error

    OS: OSR5.0.4

    I have an ancient OSR5.0.4 system I need to retrieve some files from which
    has been shutdown for months. Upon booting, I initially received a "No
    boot drive found" but now get to the boot: prompt and then halts with this
    error in the hwconfig list after showing the SCSI CD-ROM and tape device
    which is no longer there.

    The SCSI controller (an AHA-1542B) shows all four SCSI hard drives
    present.

    I have a three - four year old LoneTAR backup but no current Airbag
    diskettes. I was thinking about using another system to recover these
    images and make new[er] Airbag diskettes, having my own tape drive
    repaired [:-)] and having a go at restoring the root fs.

    Any comments: What does this error really mean? The only articles I found
    in the Knowledgebase inidcated a patch gone awry and usually implicated
    Compaq hardware, neither of which is the case here.

    Thank you,
    Lucky

  2. Re: G hd_config Error

    "Lucky Leavell [RIS]" wrote in message

    > OS: OSR5.0.4
    >
    > I have an ancient OSR5.0.4 system I need to retrieve some files from which
    > has been shutdown for months. Upon booting, I initially received a "No
    > boot drive found" but now get to the boot: prompt and then halts with this
    > error in the hwconfig list after showing the SCSI CD-ROM and tape device
    > which is no longer there.
    >
    > The SCSI controller (an AHA-1542B) shows all four SCSI hard drives
    > present.
    >
    > I have a three - four year old LoneTAR backup but no current Airbag
    > diskettes. I was thinking about using another system to recover these
    > images and make new[er] Airbag diskettes, having my own tape drive
    > repaired [:-)] and having a go at restoring the root fs.
    >
    > Any comments: What does this error really mean? The only articles I found
    > in the Knowledgebase inidcated a patch gone awry and usually implicated
    > Compaq hardware, neither of which is the case here.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Lucky

    What did you do to get the system to find a boot drive?

    I suspect that the 4 drives are either having trouble spinning up, or the
    SCSI bus is improperly terminated, possibly because the missing tape
    drive was providing the termination instead of one of the disks.

    Have you also tried booting to unix.old just in case it is some sort
    of configuration change? Is is possible that somebody screwed around
    with the 1542B's disk geometry settings, setting it up to use under DOS?

    Bob

  3. Re: G hd_config Error

    Lucky Leavell [RIS] typed (on Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 11:03:21PM -0400):

    > OS: OSR5.0.4
    >
    > I have an ancient OSR5.0.4 system I need to retrieve some files from which
    > has been shutdown for months. Upon booting, I initially received a "No
    > boot drive found" but now get to the boot: prompt and then halts with this
    > error in the hwconfig list after showing the SCSI CD-ROM and tape device
    > which is no longer there.
    >
    > The SCSI controller (an AHA-1542B) shows all four SCSI hard drives
    > present.
    >
    > I have a three - four year old LoneTAR backup but no current Airbag
    > diskettes. I was thinking about using another system to recover these
    > images and make new[er] Airbag diskettes, having my own tape drive
    > repaired [:-)] and having a go at restoring the root fs.
    >
    > Any comments: What does this error really mean? The only articles I found
    > in the Knowledgebase inidcated a patch gone awry and usually implicated
    > Compaq hardware, neither of which is the case here.

    Can you boot to single-user state?

    Have you tried one of your other kernels?

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  4. Re: G hd_config Error

    On Jun 30, 10:03 pm, "Lucky Leavell [RIS]" wrote:
    > OS: OSR5.0.4
    >
    > I have an ancient OSR5.0.4 system I need to retrieve some files from which
    > has been shutdown for months. Upon booting, I initially received a "No
    > boot drive found" but now get to the boot: prompt and then halts with this
    > error in the hwconfig list after showing the SCSI CD-ROM and tape device
    > which is no longer there.
    >
    > The SCSI controller (an AHA-1542B) shows all four SCSI hard drives
    > present.
    >
    > I have a three - four year old LoneTAR backup but no current Airbag
    > diskettes. I was thinking about using another system to recover these
    > images and make new[er] Airbag diskettes, having my own tape drive
    > repaired [:-)] and having a go at restoring the root fs.
    >
    > Any comments: What does this error really mean? The only articles I found
    > in the Knowledgebase inidcated a patch gone awry and usually implicated
    > Compaq hardware, neither of which is the case here.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Lucky

    You said that the system was off for months? I've seen system's lose
    battery power which causes it to lose Hard drive configuration in the
    bios.

    Go into the BIOS and check HD config.

  5. Re: G hd_config Error

    On Jul 1, 11:18 am, e...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Jun 30, 10:03 pm, "Lucky Leavell [RIS]" wrote:
    >

    > > OS: OSR5.0.4

    > > I have an ancient OSR5.0.4 system I need to retrieve some files from which
    > > has been shutdown for months. Upon booting, I initially received a "No
    > > boot drive found" but now get to the boot: prompt and then halts with this
    > > error in the hwconfig list after showing the SCSI CD-ROM and tape device
    > > which is no longer there.

    > > The SCSI controller (an AHA-1542B) shows all four SCSI hard drives
    > > present.

    > > I have a three - four year old LoneTAR backup but no current Airbag
    > > diskettes. I was thinking about using another system to recover these
    > > images and make new[er] Airbag diskettes, having my own tape drive
    > > repaired [:-)] and having a go at restoring the root fs.

    > > Any comments: What does this error really mean? The only articles I found
    > > in the Knowledgebase inidcated a patch gone awry and usually implicated
    > > Compaq hardware, neither of which is the case here.

    > > Thank you,
    > > Lucky

    > You said that the system was off for months? I've seen system's lose
    > battery power which causes it to lose Hard drive configuration in the
    > bios.
    >
    > Go into the BIOS and check HD config.

    SCSI HD config is not going to be in the BIOS. But if the BIOS thinks
    that there's an IDE drive or if it's got a weird boot order that might
    account for the problem. I don't suppose there's an emergency boot
    disk?

    You might try booting with Knoppix or some such just to see if it
    recognizes that the SCSI disks are there.

    --RLR

+ Reply to Thread