Re: UNIX application installation & configuration process - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: UNIX application installation & configuration process - SCO ; Bill Vermillion wrote: > In article , Pepe wrote: >> Bill Vermillion wrote: >> >>> But I gave up MS for serious work [though I do use XP for >>> applications that run only there] after working with DOS 2.0 ...

  1. Re: UNIX application installation & configuration process

    Bill Vermillion wrote:
    > In article , Pepe wrote:
    >> Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >>
    >>> But I gave up MS for serious work [though I do use XP for
    >>> applications that run only there] after working with DOS 2.0 for
    >>> about 6 to 9 months, and moved to Xenix then Unix, and have never
    >>> looked back.

    >> Do you per chance have the Xenix Development Supplement floppies around?

    > I >might< have the development system, but it would be for
    > the IBM Model-80 - Micro-Channel. I do not recall if the dev
    > system was platform dependant but the OS was.

    Great news! I don't know for sure, but once the kernel/drivers are
    loaded and the system is up, I guess the development system should work
    provided the CPU and system libraries are the same...

    If you manage to find that Xenix Development Supplement, please drop me
    an email, there shall be rejoyicing in the scene!

    By the way, your memories of Xenix were a pleasure to read.

    > I even have my NeXTSTEP for Intel. I really liked that and I was
    > disappointed that much of what I liked in NeXTStep never made
    > it to OS/X

    Oh, NeXTStep run on the i386 too... Mmmm, I see a nice looking pet
    project ahead... :-) Did it support TCP/IP?, and ethernet?

    Best regards,

    Pepe.

  2. Re: UNIX application installation & configuration process

    In article , Pepe wrote:
    >Bill Vermillion wrote:

    >>> Do you per chance have the Xenix Development Supplement floppies around?

    >> I >might< have the development system, but it would be for
    >> the IBM Model-80 - Micro-Channel. I do not recall if the dev
    >> system was platform dependant but the OS was.

    >Great news! I don't know for sure, but once the kernel/drivers are
    >loaded and the system is up, I guess the development system should work
    >provided the CPU and system libraries are the same...
    >
    >If you manage to find that Xenix Development Supplement, please drop me
    >an email, there shall be rejoyicing in the scene!
    >
    >By the way, your memories of Xenix were a pleasure to read.
    >
    >> I even have my NeXTSTEP for Intel. I really liked that and I was
    >> disappointed that much of what I liked in NeXTStep never made
    >> it to OS/X

    >Oh, NeXTStep run on the i386 too... Mmmm, I see a nice looking pet
    >project ahead... :-) Did it support TCP/IP?, and ethernet?

    Yup. It was basically BSD. I loved the interface. You could
    click and get icons - with subdirectories underneath as I recall,
    or you could click and get a Windows like interface, or you could
    click and get a Unix CLI interface.

    And the best part was the video display was Postscript - so the
    screen matched exactly what you would print.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

+ Reply to Thread