Configuring Samba 3 on Openserver 6 - SCO

This is a discussion on Configuring Samba 3 on Openserver 6 - SCO ; I'm trying to configure Samba 3.0.2 to run on SCO Openserver 6 (MP2) and I'm hitting a dead end. I have no prior experience with Samba but I was able to get it running on a fresh installed SCO box ...

  1. Configuring Samba 3 on Openserver 6

    I'm trying to configure Samba 3.0.2 to run on SCO Openserver 6 (MP2)
    and I'm hitting a dead end.

    I have no prior experience with Samba but I was able to get it running
    on a fresh installed SCO box that I was configuring for a client on
    our network. I took the same computer to the client site and can not
    get it to work.

    No matter what I try I can not connect to the Unix server from a
    windows computer. If I do a "net view \\UNIX01" then it returns:

    "System error 53 has occurred."
    "The network path was not found"

    I am trying to do a very simple configuration, I want to permit read
    only access to "\u" to allow the client to back-up the data with their
    windows software.

    I have used "smbpasswd -a" to add the passwords for root & backup.

    I have run "testparm" and it reports "Loaded services file OK."

    I am stuck and don't really know where to begin to diagnose the
    problem. Google hasn't turned up much, especially relating to SCO, so
    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    This is the configuration file.

    # Samba config file created using SWAT
    # from 10.1.1.42 (10.1.1.42)
    # Date: 2007/06/25 00:20:46

    [global]
    workgroup = MYDOMAIN (I have the real domain in the smb.conf
    file and it is showing up in Network Places)
    netbios name = UNIX01
    server string = Unix Server
    interfaces = net0, lo0
    guest account = backup
    wins server = 10.1.1.49
    valid users = backup, root
    admin users = backup, root

    [public]
    comment = Accounting Data
    path = /u
    guest ok = Yes

  2. Re: Configuring Samba 3 on Openserver 6

    Mike V wrote:

    > I'm trying to configure Samba 3.0.2 to run on SCO Openserver 6 (MP2)
    > and I'm hitting a dead end.
    >
    > I have no prior experience with Samba but I was able to get it running
    > on a fresh installed SCO box that I was configuring for a client on
    > our network. I took the same computer to the client site and can not
    > get it to work.
    >
    > No matter what I try I can not connect to the Unix server from a
    > windows computer. If I do a "net view \\UNIX01" then it returns:
    >
    > "System error 53 has occurred."
    > "The network path was not found"
    >
    > I am trying to do a very simple configuration, I want to permit read
    > only access to "\u" to allow the client to back-up the data with their
    > windows software.

    I can't help you with the SAMBA question but I could not let the above
    statement go by. Why try to backup the data files from a read only
    SAMBA share with windows software? If you need to get them back, how
    do you propose to do it? Get SAMBA configured on OS6 in read write mode
    so you can copy the data back?

    Two suggestions: if the data fits on 4.7G DVD use mkiso to create
    a ISO image of /u and then cdrecord to write the image to DVD using an
    IDE DVD burner.

    2) The best: install Microlite Backup Edge and a proper backup device
    and don't worry about the "backup data with windows software."

    What you're trying to do sounds like "get it done on the cheep." And
    in my experience "cheep" always bites you in the end.

    And if you really want to write your data to a Windows backup repository,
    Backup Edge will write to an FTP server so that you can create a
    backup configuration that writes only the /u to the ftp server and
    a full system backup to tape or DVD or REV.

    Disclaimer: I install Backup Edge on all my clients SCO servers using
    either DVD or REV backup devices. Up until DVD writers became available,
    I used my "roll your own" cpio based backup and tape drives.
    I have never been sorry (read that up the creek without a paddle)
    using BackupEdge. I recently moved a client's SCO box to a collocation
    center where the center provided ftp backup services (the center's personnel
    back up the ftp server but did not backup client machines) and I
    used the Backup Edge ftp backup capability for the first time. That worked
    better then I expected and even has the capability to do a bare metal
    restore using the RE2 boot CD I created after setting up the FTP backup
    schedule and performing a full system backup to the FTP server. The
    old REV drive backup of the client's server took 3 hours 55 minutes
    for backup and verify. The backup and verify to the FTP server is
    now taking only 1 hour 11 minutes for backup and verify.

    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  3. Re: Configuring Samba 3 on Openserver 6

    Mike V wrote (on Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 02:38:32AM -0700):
    > [global]
    > workgroup = MYDOMAIN (I have the real domain in the smb.conf
    > file and it is showing up in Network Places)
    > netbios name = UNIX01
    > server string = Unix Server
    > interfaces = net0, lo0
    > guest account = backup
    > wins server = 10.1.1.49
    > valid users = backup, root
    > admin users = backup, root
    >
    > [public]
    > comment = Accounting Data
    > path = /u
    > guest ok = Yes

    Try setting up debug with 'log level = 3' (or more). The example file
    has more exotic options:
    ; log level = 3 passdb:5 tdb:10 auth:10

    as i recall, log files are in /var/log/samba.d/

    perhaps you need 'browseable = yes'?
    or 'valid users = root backup'?

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

  4. Re: Configuring Samba 3 on Openserver 6

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 02:38:32 -0700, Mike V
    wrote:

    >I'm trying to configure Samba 3.0.2 to run on SCO Openserver 6 (MP2)
    >and I'm hitting a dead end.
    >
    >I have no prior experience with Samba but I was able to get it running
    >on a fresh installed SCO box that I was configuring for a client on
    >our network. I took the same computer to the client site and can not
    >get it to work.
    >
    >No matter what I try I can not connect to the Unix server from a
    >windows computer. If I do a "net view \\UNIX01" then it returns:
    >
    >"System error 53 has occurred."
    >"The network path was not found"
    >
    >I am trying to do a very simple configuration, I want to permit read
    >only access to "\u" to allow the client to back-up the data with their
    >windows software.
    >
    >I have used "smbpasswd -a" to add the passwords for root & backup.
    >
    >I have run "testparm" and it reports "Loaded services file OK."
    >
    >I am stuck and don't really know where to begin to diagnose the
    >problem. Google hasn't turned up much, especially relating to SCO, so
    >any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >This is the configuration file.
    >
    ># Samba config file created using SWAT
    ># from 10.1.1.42 (10.1.1.42)
    ># Date: 2007/06/25 00:20:46
    >
    >[global]
    > workgroup = MYDOMAIN (I have the real domain in the smb.conf
    >file and it is showing up in Network Places)
    > netbios name = UNIX01
    > server string = Unix Server
    > interfaces = net0, lo0
    > guest account = backup
    > wins server = 10.1.1.49
    > valid users = backup, root
    > admin users = backup, root
    >
    >[public]
    > comment = Accounting Data
    > path = /u
    > guest ok = Yes

    Assuming that you are trying to connect from an XP machine, a more
    reliable way of locating the Unix server on the network is with
    "start-> find-> computers/people-> computer" and search for "UNIX01".
    If it is not found, then there is likely some problem either with
    Samba or with how the network is configured.

    --
    Richard Seeder

  5. Re: Configuring Samba 3 on Openserver 6

    On Jun 25, 5:38 am, Mike V wrote:
    > I'm trying to configure Samba 3.0.2 to run on SCO Openserver 6 (MP2)
    > and I'm hitting a dead end.
    >
    > I have no prior experience with Samba but I was able to get it running
    > on a fresh installed SCO box that I was configuring for a client on
    > our network. I took the same computer to the client site and can not
    > get it to work.
    >
    > No matter what I try I can not connect to the Unix server from a
    > windows computer. If I do a "net view \\UNIX01" then it returns:
    >
    > "System error 53 has occurred."
    > "The network path was not found"
    >
    > I am trying to do a very simple configuration, I want to permit read
    > only access to "\u" to allow the client to back-up the data with their
    > windows software.
    >
    > I have used "smbpasswd -a" to add the passwords for root & backup.
    >
    > I have run "testparm" and it reports "Loaded services file OK."
    >
    > I am stuck and don't really know where to begin to diagnose the
    > problem. Google hasn't turned up much, especially relating to SCO, so
    > any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > This is the configuration file.
    >
    > # Samba config file created using SWAT
    > # from 10.1.1.42 (10.1.1.42)
    > # Date: 2007/06/25 00:20:46
    >
    > [global]
    > workgroup = MYDOMAIN (I have the real domain in the smb.conf
    > file and it is showing up in Network Places)
    > netbios name = UNIX01
    > server string = Unix Server
    > interfaces = net0, lo0
    > guest account = backup
    > wins server = 10.1.1.49
    > valid users = backup, root
    > admin users = backup, root
    >
    > [public]
    > comment = Accounting Data
    > path = /u
    > guest ok = Yes

    I will assume you mean Samba 3.0.20, there was no 3.0.2 that SCO
    released.

    Did you run "mkdev samba" first?

    Why do you have "valid users" in the global section and not in
    [public]?

    Mike

  6. Re: Configuring Samba 3 on Openserver 6

    On Jun 25, 2:38 am, Mike V wrote:
    > I'm trying to configure Samba 3.0.2 to run on SCO Openserver 6 (MP2)
    > and I'm hitting a dead end.
    >
    > I have no prior experience with Samba but I was able to get it running
    > on a fresh installed SCO box that I was configuring for a client on
    > our network. I took the same computer to the client site and can not
    > get it to work.
    >
    > No matter what I try I can not connect to the Unix server from a
    > windows computer. If I do a "net view \\UNIX01" then it returns:
    >
    > "System error 53 has occurred."
    > "The network path was not found"
    >
    > I am trying to do a very simple configuration, I want to permit read
    > only access to "\u" to allow the client to back-up the data with their
    > windows software.
    >
    > I have used "smbpasswd -a" to add the passwords for root & backup.
    >
    > I have run "testparm" and it reports "Loaded services file OK."
    >
    > I am stuck and don't really know where to begin to diagnose the
    > problem. Google hasn't turned up much, especially relating to SCO, so
    > any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > This is the configuration file.
    >
    > # Samba config file created using SWAT
    > # from 10.1.1.42 (10.1.1.42)
    > # Date: 2007/06/25 00:20:46
    >
    > [global]
    > workgroup = MYDOMAIN (I have the real domain in the smb.conf
    > file and it is showing up in Network Places)
    > netbios name = UNIX01
    > server string = Unix Server
    > interfaces = net0, lo0
    > guest account = backup
    > wins server = 10.1.1.49
    > valid users = backup, root
    > admin users = backup, root
    >
    > [public]
    > comment = Accounting Data
    > path = /u
    > guest ok = Yes

    Which Windows? The old Samba 3 only does SMB authentication which is
    off by default in W2003 servers.

    --RLR

+ Reply to Thread