Openserver 6.0 Network Drivers - SCO

This is a discussion on Openserver 6.0 Network Drivers - SCO ; I am trying to get Openserver 6.0 up and running on a new Dell Poweredge SC440. I installed the full OS using the defaults and then installed Maintenance Pack 2 from the distribution CD. My problem is with configuring the ...

  1. Openserver 6.0 Network Drivers

    I am trying to get Openserver 6.0 up and running on a new Dell
    Poweredge SC440. I installed the full OS using the defaults and then
    installed Maintenance Pack 2 from the distribution CD.

    My problem is with configuring the integrated network card on the
    Dell. From what I can tell the SCO Openserver 6.0 comes with a very
    limited driver support for network cards so I installed the 'Network
    Driver Package Update' from the distribution CD (which appears to
    support a wide variety of cards).

    What has me stumped is that after installing the additional drivers
    using the 'pkgadd -d /mnt/nd.image nd' command, and then relinking the
    kernel, I still don't see the additional list of drivers when I run
    'netconfig' and so I'm not able to configure the integrated NIC.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

  2. Re: Openserver 6.0 Network Drivers

    On Jun 12, 2:03 pm, Mike V wrote:
    > I am trying to get Openserver 6.0 up and running on a new Dell
    > Poweredge SC440. I installed the full OS using the defaults and then
    > installed Maintenance Pack 2 from the distribution CD.
    >
    > My problem is with configuring the integrated network card on the
    > Dell. From what I can tell the SCO Openserver 6.0 comes with a very
    > limited driver support for network cards so I installed the 'Network
    > Driver Package Update' from the distribution CD (which appears to
    > support a wide variety of cards).
    >
    > What has me stumped is that after installing the additional drivers
    > using the 'pkgadd -d /mnt/nd.image nd' command, and then relinking the
    > kernel, I still don't see the additional list of drivers when I run
    > 'netconfig' and so I'm not able to configure the integrated NIC.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Install a supported NIC. "The [SC440] onboard NIC is not supported
    under OpenServer6." --http://wdb1.sco.com/chwp/owa/
    hch_model_cert_page?
    f_model_id=98608&f_release_id=601&f_vendor_search_corp_id=

    BTW, SCO posted an updated NIC driver package for OS6 a few weeks ago
    at http://www.sco.com/support/update/do...se.php?rid=281.

    --RLR

  3. Re: Openserver 6.0 Network Drivers

    Mike V typed (on Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 02:03:47PM -0700):
    | I am trying to get Openserver 6.0 up and running on a new Dell
    | Poweredge SC440. I installed the full OS using the defaults and then
    | installed Maintenance Pack 2 from the distribution CD.
    |
    | My problem is with configuring the integrated network card on the
    | Dell. From what I can tell the SCO Openserver 6.0 comes with a very
    | limited driver support for network cards so I installed the 'Network
    | Driver Package Update' from the distribution CD (which appears to
    | support a wide variety of cards).
    |
    | What has me stumped is that after installing the additional drivers
    | using the 'pkgadd -d /mnt/nd.image nd' command, and then relinking the
    | kernel, I still don't see the additional list of drivers when I run
    | 'netconfig' and so I'm not able to configure the integrated NIC.

    SCO's web site has an nd package newer than the one on the MP2 CD.
    Try it.

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  4. Re: Openserver 6.0 Network Drivers

    On Jun 12, 2:25 pm, ThreeStar wrote:
    > On Jun 12, 2:03 pm, Mike V wrote:
    >

    > > I am trying to get Openserver 6.0 up and running on a new Dell
    > > Poweredge SC440. I installed the full OS using the defaults and then
    > > installed Maintenance Pack 2 from the distribution CD.

    > > My problem is with configuring the integrated network card on the
    > > Dell. From what I can tell the SCO Openserver 6.0 comes with a very
    > > limited driver support for network cards so I installed the 'Network
    > > Driver Package Update' from the distribution CD (which appears to
    > > support a wide variety of cards).

    > > What has me stumped is that after installing the additional drivers
    > > using the 'pkgadd -d /mnt/nd.image nd' command, and then relinking the
    > > kernel, I still don't see the additional list of drivers when I run
    > > 'netconfig' and so I'm not able to configure the integrated NIC.

    > > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    > Install a supported NIC. "The [SC440] onboard NIC is not supported
    > under OpenServer6." --http://wdb1.sco.com/chwp/owa/
    > hch_model_cert_page?
    > f_model_id=98608&f_release_id=601&f_vendor_search_corp_id=
    >
    > BTW, SCO posted an updated NIC driver package for OS6 a few weeks ago
    > athttp://www.sco.com/support/update/download/release.php?rid=281.
    >
    > --

    What's the secret to getting the drivers included in the 'Network
    Driver Package Update' to appear on the list of choices when adding a
    network adapter via netconfig?

    I wouldn't mind installing another NIC, but if I'm confined to the
    list of boards I'm seeing listed by netconfig it would be tough to
    even find one.

    Thanks!

  5. Re: Openserver 6.0 Network Drivers

    On 13 Jun, 04:45, Mike V wrote:
    > What's the secret to getting the drivers included in the 'Network
    > Driver Package Update' to appear on the list of choices when adding a
    > network adapter via netconfig?

    Mike,

    netconfig will only list drivers for NICs that are actually present in
    the
    machine.

    > I wouldn't mind installing another NIC, but if I'm confined to the
    > list of boards I'm seeing listed by netconfig it would be tough to
    > even find one.

    If netconfig cannot autodetect a NIC in the server then the list
    that it presents is a list of old ISA based NICs that cannot
    be autodetected.

    John

+ Reply to Thread