SCO 5.07 & Dell Server - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO 5.07 & Dell Server - SCO ; Greetings I am looking at purchasing a low-end Dell Poweredge server & the only core requirements are 5.07, Raid 36 GB drives & a DAT tape drive. I check the SCO web site and they indicated the new Perc 5X ...

  1. SCO 5.07 & Dell Server

    Greetings I am looking at purchasing a low-end Dell Poweredge server &
    the only core requirements are 5.07, Raid 36 GB drives & a DAT tape
    drive. I check the SCO web site and they indicated the new Perc 5X
    SCSI adapters are not supported. Can anyone recommended a
    configuration that will work? ....including the boot string if
    available.

    Thanks,

    Jon

  2. Re: SCO 5.07 & Dell Server

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:02:57 -0700, TSIs2000
    wrote:

    >Greetings I am looking at purchasing a low-end Dell Poweredge server &
    >the only core requirements are 5.07, Raid 36 GB drives & a DAT tape
    >drive. I check the SCO web site and they indicated the new Perc 5X
    >SCSI adapters are not supported. Can anyone recommended a
    >configuration that will work? ....including the boot string if
    >available.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Jon

    I use an older Dell PowerEdge 700 with a PERC 4/SC SCSI (parallel SCSI
    as in non-SAS) controller. The driver I use was downloaded from
    Dell.com some time ago. I can send you the file if you want it. The
    file has to be set up onto a BTLD floppy disk for SCO installation.
    The SCO installation boot string to load the BTLD onto SCO OpenServer
    5.0.7 is:

    defbootstr line=perc

    I may be making a new hardware buy next year, possibly a Dell
    PowerEdge 840. The current RAID controller options for the 840 shows
    as PERC 5's but I'll be asking for a 2 x 36GB drives PERC 4/SC combo
    as I don't need larger drives nor do I want the enhancements of the
    PERC 5. Dell shows PERC 4's available for some of their lower priced
    models so I'll be trying to sweet-talk Dell into making a customized
    change. You may want to try something similar if your RAID performance
    needs are modest.

    DDinAZ
    ddinaz at hotmail dot com

  3. Re: SCO 5.07 & Dell Server

    On 9 Jun, 04:02, TSIs2000 wrote:
    > Greetings I am looking at purchasing a low-end Dell Poweredge server &
    > the only core requirements are 5.07, Raid 36 GB drives & a DAT tape
    > drive. I check the SCO web site and they indicated the new Perc 5X
    > SCSI adapters are not supported. Can anyone recommended a
    > configuration that will work? ....including the boot string if
    > available.

    Jon,

    I just wanted to point out that OpenServer 6 does support the Perc 5x
    and
    we have a number of PowerEdge certifications with this release.

    John

  4. Re: SCO 5.07 & Dell Server

    On Jun 12, 2:10 am, jbol...@sco.com wrote:
    > On 9 Jun, 04:02, TSIs2000 wrote:
    >
    > > Greetings I am looking at purchasing a low-end Dell Poweredge server &
    > > the only core requirements are 5.07, Raid 36 GB drives & a DAT tape
    > > drive. I check the SCO web site and they indicated the new Perc 5X
    > > SCSI adapters are not supported. Can anyone recommended a
    > > configuration that will work? ....including the boot string if
    > > available.

    > Jon,
    >
    > I just wanted to point out that OpenServer 6 does support the Perc 5x
    > and
    > we have a number of PowerEdge certifications with this release.
    >
    > John

    Thanks...unfortunately the application does not - only 5.0.7. I
    checked the Canadian Dell site and the Perc 4 SC is not shown for the
    PE 840 - can this be custom orderedÉ

  5. Re: SCO 5.07 & Dell Server

    On 12 Jun, 14:07, TSIs2000 wrote:
    > On Jun 12, 2:10 am, jbol...@sco.com wrote:
    >

    > > On 9 Jun, 04:02, TSIs2000 wrote:

    > > > Greetings I am looking at purchasing a low-end Dell Poweredge server &
    > > > the only core requirements are 5.07, Raid 36 GB drives & a DAT tape
    > > > drive. I check the SCO web site and they indicated the new Perc 5X
    > > > SCSI adapters are not supported. Can anyone recommended a
    > > > configuration that will work? ....including the boot string if
    > > > available.

    > > Jon,

    > > I just wanted to point out that OpenServer 6 does support the Perc 5x
    > > and
    > > we have a number of PowerEdge certifications with this release.

    > > John

    > Thanks...unfortunately the application does not - only 5.0.7. I
    > checked the Canadian Dell site and the Perc 4 SC is not shown for the
    > PE 840 - can this be custom orderedÉ

    Jon,

    Is it the case that the application does not work on OpenServer 6 or
    is it the case that the ISV will not support the app on OpenServer 6.
    If its the former then I may be able to help in "getting" the app to
    run on OpenServer 6.

    As regards custom ordering the Perc 4, I think this is a question
    you will need to ask Dell.

    John

+ Reply to Thread