Network Printer - SCO

This is a discussion on Network Printer - SCO ; Hi All, What would be the simplest way of moving old serial printers on ttys to new network printers i.e PCL compatible printers with a network interface (card) on board no serial , and getting these new printers to obey ...

  1. Network Printer

    Hi All,

    What would be the simplest way of moving old serial printers on ttys
    to new network printers i.e PCL compatible printers with a network
    interface (card) on board no serial , and getting these new printers
    to obey an old interface .I tried mdev rlp , rlpconf etc .I have added
    the printers and I can print to them they are in /etc/printcap, text
    comes out as text though it runs out of page , can't seem to control
    it , I cannot get them to obey anything in my old interface
    script .Is there an easy way to do this I need to install various new
    printers and serial laser printers are getting harder to find and
    maintain

    This is the old simplified Interface I was using and served its
    purpose , but I have been struggling to get these new printers to obey
    any of this and to print properly .Is there anyway and interface can
    be transfered to a printcap entry ? using SCO 5.0.7 printers have IP
    and netmask set statically and on same net as SCO

    Many thanks
    Dnix

    ################################################## ############################################
    # @(#) hpjet 22.2 90/04/24
    #
    # Copyright (C) The Santa Cruz Operation, 1985, 1986, 1987,
    1988, 1989.
    # This Module contains Proprietary Information of
    # The Santa Cruz Operation, and should be treated as
    Confidential.
    #
    #! HP Laserjet, Thinkjet or QuietJet
    #

    if [ -x "/usr/spool/lp/bin/drain.output" ]
    then
    DRAIN="/usr/spool/lp/bin/drain.output 1"
    else
    DRAIN=
    fi

    printer=`basename $0`
    request=$1
    name=$2
    title=$3
    copies=$4
    options=$5
    shift; shift; shift; shift; shift

    #Printer Initialization for CUSTOM FORM
    #reset \033E ESCE
    #DIN A4 size 033&l26A ESC&l26A
    #Top margin 2 line and text length 96
    033\046\0154\062\0145\071\066\0106 ESC&l2e96F
    #Pitch = 16.67 CPI 033\046\0153\062\0123 ESC&k2S
    #Horizontal motion (HMI) 7 * 1/120 inch 033\046\0153\067\0110
    ESC&k7H
    #Vertical motion 033\046\0154\065\056\066\0103 ESC&l5.6C

    # If it is necessary to change the baud rate or other stty settings
    for
    # your serial printer change the following line

    stty 19200 cs8 -parenb -cstopb onlcr tab3 ixon ixoff clocal opost
    0<&1

    # send the file(s) to the standard out $copies times
    while [ "$copies" -gt 0 ]
    do
    for file
    do
    echo "\033E\033&l26A
    \033\046\0154\062\0145\071\066\0106\033\046\0153\0 62\0123\c"
    echo "\033\046\0153\067\0110\033\046\0154\065\056\066\01 03\c"
    cat "$file" 2>&1
    echo "\033E\c"
    done
    copies=`expr $copies - 1`
    done

    #Draining characters might be necessary.
    ${DRAIN}

    exit 0
    ################################################## ####################################

  2. Re: Network Printer

    On Jun 6, 12:38 pm, Dnix wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > What would be the simplest way of moving old serial printers on ttys
    > to new network printers i.e PCL compatible printers with a network
    > interface (card) on board no serial , and getting these new printers
    > to obey an old interface .I tried mdev rlp , rlpconf etc .I have added
    > the printers and I can print to them they are in /etc/printcap, text
    > comes out as text though it runs out of page , can't seem to control
    > it , I cannot get them to obey anything in my old interface
    > script .Is there an easy way to do this I need to install various new
    > printers and serial laser printers are getting harder to find and
    > maintain
    >
    > This is the old simplified Interface I was using and served its
    > purpose , but I have been struggling to get these new printers to obey
    > any of this and to print properly .Is there anyway and interface can
    > be transfered to a printcap entry ? using SCO 5.0.7 printers have IP
    > and netmask set statically and on same net as SCO
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Dnix

    ..
    ..
    ..
    Hello Dnix,
    Search this group on google for netcat.
    Basically, you enclose your interface in parentheses and
    pipe it to netcat.
    Thank you again, Kevin Smith!
    See www.shadetree.com
    and
    aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec7getnetcat.html

    Good luck,
    Dan Martin

  3. Re: Network Printer

    Dnix wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > What would be the simplest way of moving old serial printers on ttys
    > to new network printers i.e PCL compatible printers with a network
    > interface (card) on board no serial , and getting these new printers
    > to obey an old interface .I tried mdev rlp , rlpconf etc .I have added
    > the printers and I can print to them they are in /etc/printcap, text
    > comes out as text though it runs out of page , can't seem to control
    > it , I cannot get them to obey anything in my old interface
    > script .Is there an easy way to do this I need to install various new
    > printers and serial laser printers are getting harder to find and
    > maintain
    >
    > This is the old simplified Interface I was using and served its
    > purpose , but I have been struggling to get these new printers to obey
    > any of this and to print properly .Is there anyway and interface can
    > be transfered to a printcap entry ? using SCO 5.0.7 printers have IP
    > and netmask set statically and on same net as SCO

    IIRC OSR507 supports three categories of printers:
    - locally attached printers (serial or parallel)
    - remote LPD printers
    - HP Network Printers (JetDirect)

    /etc/printcap is essentially for the LPD remote printer protocol only.
    Printer interface scripts are *not* invoked for LPD remote printers.
    OSR507 does not make use of filter options in printcap either.

    If your printers are JetDirect compatible (tcp port 9100?) you could try
    using HPNP (I'd use `scoadmin printer` to set it up). Setting up HPNP is
    a bit weird and scoadmin has unintuitive notions of what is "remote" and
    "local" so do some reading first! I think HPNP allows the use of
    interface scripts (but I may be wrong).

    However the canonical advice is to use netcat. Search aplwarence.com and
    use google groups to search this newsgroup - some regulars here have
    published some good ways to use netcat for printing to remote printers.
    You'll have to download netcat. Don't confuse netcat and nc.

  4. Re: Network Printer

    On Jun 6, 10:20 am, Ian Wilson wrote:
    > Dnix wrote:
    > > Hi All,

    > > What would be the simplest way of moving old serial printers on ttys
    > > to new network printers i.e PCL compatible printers with a network
    > > interface (card) on board no serial , and getting these new printers
    > > to obey an old interface .I tried mdev rlp , rlpconf etc .I have added
    > > the printers and I can print to them they are in /etc/printcap, text
    > > comes out as text though it runs out of page , can't seem to control
    > > it , I cannot get them to obey anything in my old interface
    > > script .Is there an easy way to do this I need to install various new
    > > printers and serial laser printers are getting harder to find and
    > > maintain

    > > This is the old simplified Interface I was using and served its
    > > purpose , but I have been struggling to get these new printers to obey
    > > any of this and to print properly .Is there anyway and interface can
    > > be transfered to a printcap entry ? using SCO 5.0.7 printers have IP
    > > and netmask set statically and on same net as SCO

    > IIRC OSR507 supports three categories of printers:
    > - locally attached printers (serial or parallel)
    > - remote LPD printers
    > - HP Network Printers (JetDirect)
    >
    > /etc/printcap is essentially for the LPD remote printer protocol only.
    > Printer interface scripts are *not* invoked for LPD remote printers.
    > OSR507 does not make use of filter options in printcap either.
    >
    > If your printers are JetDirect compatible (tcp port 9100?) you could try
    > using HPNP (I'd use `scoadmin printer` to set it up). Setting up HPNP is
    > a bit weird and scoadmin has unintuitive notions of what is "remote" and
    > "local" so do some reading first! I think HPNP allows the use of
    > interface scripts (but I may be wrong).
    >
    > However the canonical advice is to use netcat. Search aplwarence.com and
    > use google groups to search this newsgroup - some regulars here have
    > published some good ways to use netcat for printing to remote printers.
    > You'll have to download netcat. Don't confuse netcat and nc.

    HPNP does use LP interface scripts.

    There was an issue with SCO's LPD/printcap filter implementation but
    rumor is that it should work OK on 5.0.7. I haven't tried the "of="
    option in /etc/printcap but I do use lpadmin -I to set filters in
    systems as early as 5.0.5.

    --RLR

  5. Re: Network Printer

    On Jun 7, 6:01 pm, ThreeStar wrote:
    > On Jun 6, 10:20 am, Ian Wilson wrote:
    >

    > > Dnix wrote:
    > > > Hi All,

    > > > What would be the simplest way of moving old serial printers on ttys
    > > > to new network printers i.e PCL compatible printers with a network
    > > > interface (card) on board no serial , and getting these new printers
    > > > to obey an old interface .I tried mdev rlp , rlpconf etc .I have added
    > > > the printers and I can print to them they are in /etc/printcap, text
    > > > comes out as text though it runs out of page , can't seem to control
    > > > it , I cannot get them to obey anything in my old interface
    > > > script .Is there an easy way to do this I need to install various new
    > > > printers and serial laser printers are getting harder to find and
    > > > maintain

    > > > This is the old simplified Interface I was using and served its
    > > > purpose , but I have been struggling to get these new printers to obey
    > > > any of this and to print properly .Is there anyway and interface can
    > > > be transfered to a printcap entry ? using SCO 5.0.7 printers have IP
    > > > and netmask set statically and on same net as SCO

    > > IIRC OSR507 supports three categories of printers:
    > > - locally attached printers (serial or parallel)
    > > - remote LPD printers
    > > - HP Network Printers (JetDirect)

    > > /etc/printcap is essentially for the LPD remote printer protocol only.
    > > Printer interface scripts are *not* invoked for LPD remote printers.
    > > OSR507 does not make use of filter options in printcap either.

    > > If your printers are JetDirect compatible (tcp port 9100?) you could try
    > > using HPNP (I'd use `scoadmin printer` to set it up). Setting up HPNP is
    > > a bit weird and scoadmin has unintuitive notions of what is "remote" and
    > > "local" so do some reading first! I think HPNP allows the use of
    > > interface scripts (but I may be wrong).

    > > However the canonical advice is to use netcat. Search aplwarence.com and
    > > use google groups to search this newsgroup - some regulars here have
    > > published some good ways to use netcat for printing to remote printers.
    > > You'll have to download netcat. Don't confuse netcat and nc.

    > HPNP does use LP interface scripts.
    >
    > There was an issue with SCO's LPD/printcap filter implementation but
    > rumor is that it should work OK on 5.0.7. I haven't tried the "of="
    > option in /etc/printcap but I do use lpadmin -I to set filters in
    > systems as early as 5.0.5.
    >
    > --RLR

    many thanks all Netcat works amazingly well

+ Reply to Thread