Has anybody experience using visionfs under M$-Vista - SCO

This is a discussion on Has anybody experience using visionfs under M$-Vista - SCO ; Hi! I'm looking forward in keeping my app. running for the next time and i know, there is often a short time the customer have to update a window-box connected to the UW-box via visionfs. We share data from the ...

  1. Has anybody experience using visionfs under M$-Vista

    Hi!
    I'm looking forward in keeping my app. running for the next time and i
    know, there is often a short time the customer have to update a
    window-box connected to the UW-box via visionfs. We share data from
    the unix ERP and a bookkeeping-system unter Windows by visionfs very
    well now over 10 years!
    So, i very interested in know how visionfs work's under Vista.

    Thanks a lot!

    Cheers
    Peter
    Für direkte email rot13 cebBETN-Yrvzra@jro.qr
    oder entferne ".without-this" aus der Email-To. Danke!

  2. Re: Has anybody experience using visionfs under M$-Vista

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 14:57:09 +0200, Peter Michel
    wrote:

    >Hi!
    >I'm looking forward in keeping my app. running for the next time and i
    >know, there is often a short time the customer have to update a
    >window-box connected to the UW-box via visionfs. We share data from
    >the unix ERP and a bookkeeping-system unter Windows by visionfs very
    >well now over 10 years!
    >So, i very interested in know how visionfs work's under Vista.
    >
    >Thanks a lot!
    >
    >Cheers
    >Peter
    >Für direkte email rot13 cebBETN-Yrvzra@jro.qr
    >oder entferne ".without-this" aus der Email-To. Danke!

    After expending considerable effort trying to get VisionFS to work
    with Vista, I reluctantly came to the conclusion that it will not
    work. There seems to be some incompatibility with the authentication
    method used by VisionFS, with which Vista simply will not cooperate. I
    could find no combination of settings under Vista which would allow it
    to behave as it does under XP.

    That's the bad news. The good news is that Vista will work just fine
    with the version of Samba available on the SCO Skunkware site (the one
    I used is for OpenServer, but I assume that there is a comparable
    version for Unixware). So, if you must go to Vista, the solution is
    to replace VisionFS with Samba. A little pain with the learning
    curve, but probably better in the long run, anyway.

    --
    Richard Seeder
    AApex Information Systems

  3. Re: Has anybody experience using visionfs under M$-Vista

    Richard Seeder wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 14:57:09 +0200, Peter Michel
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hi!
    >>I'm looking forward in keeping my app. running for the next time and i
    >>know, there is often a short time the customer have to update a
    >>window-box connected to the UW-box via visionfs. We share data from
    >>the unix ERP and a bookkeeping-system unter Windows by visionfs very
    >>well now over 10 years!
    >>So, i very interested in know how visionfs work's under Vista.
    >>
    >>Thanks a lot!
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>Peter
    >>Für direkte email rot13 cebBETN-Yrvzra@jro.qr
    >>oder entferne ".without-this" aus der Email-To. Danke!

    > After expending considerable effort trying to get VisionFS to work
    > with Vista, I reluctantly came to the conclusion that it will not
    > work. There seems to be some incompatibility with the authentication
    > method used by VisionFS, with which Vista simply will not cooperate. I
    > could find no combination of settings under Vista which would allow it
    > to behave as it does under XP.
    >
    > That's the bad news. The good news is that Vista will work just fine
    > with the version of Samba available on the SCO Skunkware site (the one
    > I used is for OpenServer, but I assume that there is a comparable
    > version for Unixware). So, if you must go to Vista, the solution is
    > to replace VisionFS with Samba. A little pain with the learning
    > curve, but probably better in the long run, anyway.

    Richard,

    are you willing to disclose your "efforts" while trying to get VisionFS
    and Vista to communicate each other?

    Thanks,
    Rob

    --
    Roberto Zini - r.zini<@AT@>strhold.it
    "Has anybody around here seen an aircraft carrier?"

  4. Re: Has anybody experience using visionfs under M$-Vista

    On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 13:12:57 +0200, Rob wrote:

    >Richard Seeder wrote:
    >> On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 14:57:09 +0200, Peter Michel
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi!
    >>>I'm looking forward in keeping my app. running for the next time and i
    >>>know, there is often a short time the customer have to update a
    >>>window-box connected to the UW-box via visionfs. We share data from
    >>>the unix ERP and a bookkeeping-system unter Windows by visionfs very
    >>>well now over 10 years!
    >>>So, i very interested in know how visionfs work's under Vista.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks a lot!
    >>>
    >>>Cheers
    >>>Peter
    >>>Für direkte email rot13 cebBETN-Yrvzra@jro.qr
    >>>oder entferne ".without-this" aus der Email-To. Danke!

    >> After expending considerable effort trying to get VisionFS to work
    >> with Vista, I reluctantly came to the conclusion that it will not
    >> work. There seems to be some incompatibility with the authentication
    >> method used by VisionFS, with which Vista simply will not cooperate. I
    >> could find no combination of settings under Vista which would allow it
    >> to behave as it does under XP.
    >>
    >> That's the bad news. The good news is that Vista will work just fine
    >> with the version of Samba available on the SCO Skunkware site (the one
    >> I used is for OpenServer, but I assume that there is a comparable
    >> version for Unixware). So, if you must go to Vista, the solution is
    >> to replace VisionFS with Samba. A little pain with the learning
    >> curve, but probably better in the long run, anyway.
    >>

    >Richard,
    >
    >are you willing to disclose your "efforts" while trying to get VisionFS
    >and Vista to communicate each other?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Rob

    Hi, Rob,

    I'm not sure I can recall everything, but I'll try. First, I just set
    up the network password, as in XP; tried to connect to the SCO server
    (5.0.7) and failed with "access denied". Then, tried running Vista's
    secpol.msc and changing Local Policies-> Security Options-> LAN
    Manager authentication level to "send LM and NTLM" (from the default
    NTLMv2 only). Still "access denied". Then tried all the other LAN
    Manager authentication settings; no luck. Then tried changing to
    "unencrypted passwords" in VisionFS and setting Microsoft Client "send
    unencrypted passwords to 3rd party SMB servers" on Vista; still
    "access denied". Back to encrypted passwords. Tried every likely
    setting under Security Options on Vista. Turned off firewalls and
    anti-virus; checked ports. No difference. Tried setting up a new
    Vista account with Administrator enabled (Computer->Manage-> Local
    Users and Groups-> Users-> Administrator-> Properties; cleared
    "Account is Disabled" checkbox). Actually able to see SCO server and
    directories in "Network", but still "access denied" when attempting to
    open a folder. Gnashed teeth and tore hair. Re-tried secpol.msc
    settings; no luck. Finally I couldn't think of anything else to try
    and switched to Samba, which worked with no problem (although I
    believe it requires the "Send LM and NTLM, negotiate NTLMv2" change,
    depending on the Samba version). Hope this helps.

    Richard

+ Reply to Thread