vpn access to openserver problems - SCO

This is a discussion on vpn access to openserver problems - SCO ; Here, I think, is a good one. I have a customer setup for a couple of users to be able to vpn in to work. The clients use a PPTP conection to a Netopia R-910 router. On the work side ...

  1. vpn access to openserver problems

    Here, I think, is a good one. I have a customer setup for a couple
    of users to be able to vpn in to work. The clients use a PPTP
    conection to a Netopia R-910 router. On the work side there are 3
    servers. One is 5.0.7, one is Windows SBS 2003, one is Openserver
    5.0.5. Sometimes all of these servers can be contacted or logged
    into just fine. Other times a client can access Windows server fine.
    Same user can ping Windows, ping the .05 server, but pinging the .7
    server yields only timeout messages. Yet I can telnet into the
    router, and from it I can ping the .7 server just fine, just can't do
    it over the vpn.

    Today, we tried rebooting the .7 server and that cleared things
    up.....at least for now. Not even sure where to look. Is there
    something that either the .7 server or the vpn part of the router are
    not flushing? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: vpn access to openserver problems

    > Here, I think, is a good one. I have a customer setup for a couple
    > of users to be able to vpn in to work. The clients use a PPTP
    > conection to a Netopia R-910 router. On the work side there are 3
    > servers. One is 5.0.7, one is Windows SBS 2003, one is Openserver
    > 5.0.5. Sometimes all of these servers can be contacted or logged
    > into just fine. Other times a client can access Windows server fine.
    > Same user can ping Windows, ping the .05 server, but pinging the .7
    > server yields only timeout messages. Yet I can telnet into the
    > router, and from it I can ping the .7 server just fine, just can't do
    > it over the vpn.
    >
    > Today, we tried rebooting the .7 server and that cleared things
    > up.....at least for now. Not even sure where to look. Is there
    > something that either the .7 server or the vpn part of the router are
    > not flushing? Any ideas greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Is the netopia also the default gateway for the 2 unix boxes?
    as in, it doesn't need an additional static route on unix to make it work,
    right?

    And you do have the default route set in the 2 unix boxes?

    And the IP's of the two unix boxes is outside of any dhcp pools being served
    by the netopia or the windows box?
    (and only one device anywhere on the lan is serving any dhcp at all, right?
    As in, if the win box is doing dhcp, then dhcp has been disabled in the
    netopia?)

    Assuming and given the above, and at least one power-cycle of all switches,
    routers, and all 3 servers since above was established, to flush arp tables
    (servers can be cleared with unix "arp -F", win "arp -d *" instead of
    reboot) then "it should work" and I start to suspect the netopia. As in, the
    way the netopia is configured. As in, how are you telling the netopia how to
    find the unix boxes? by ip or name? (if name, where is it getting it from?
    the win box's dns server? just use ip).

    Next time it doesn't work, while it's still not working,
    find out the ip & mac of the remote pc
    then look for either in "arp -a" on the unix box. does the ip exist with a
    different mac? does the mac exist with a different ip?
    if so then run "arp -F" on the unix box or "arp -d "
    If the unix box suddenly works then I don't know the most correct answer but
    I'm sure flushing the arp table every few minutes in cron isn't it.