rlogin prompting for password between two OSR6 servers - SCO

This is a discussion on rlogin prompting for password between two OSR6 servers - SCO ; I just configured this today. I am only using the root user so the only file i needed to edit was /.rhosts to add the entry for the other server. I made sure there was an A record in the ...

  1. rlogin prompting for password between two OSR6 servers

    I just configured this today. I am only using the root user so the
    only file i needed to edit was /.rhosts to add the entry for the other
    server.

    I made sure there was an A record in the DNS server for both of my new
    servers and that i could ping the host name from the unix command line
    on each machine successfully.

    Funnily enough whenever i tried rlogin i was still prompted for a
    password. after reading many posts I did an ls-l on .rhosts and found
    -rw-r--r-- permissions on the .rhosts file

    I didn't see how having additional read permissions would cause the
    password prompt but based on my readings and having tried a bunch of
    other stuff and backed it out again when it didn't work I thought i
    would give this a go on both boxes:

    chmod 600 .rhosts

    -rw------- 1 root sys 45 May 23 16:20 .rhosts

    All works fine now hope this helps someone else someday. By
    default .rhosts isnt in the right state to do the seamless rlogin and
    rcmd and you need to do the chmod 600 on it if you want it to not
    prompt you for a password.

  2. Re: rlogin prompting for password between two OSR6 servers

    >I just configured this today. I am only using the root user so the
    > only file i needed to edit was /.rhosts to add the entry for the other
    > server.
    >
    > I made sure there was an A record in the DNS server for both of my new
    > servers and that i could ping the host name from the unix command line
    > on each machine successfully.
    >
    > Funnily enough whenever i tried rlogin i was still prompted for a
    > password. after reading many posts I did an ls-l on .rhosts and found
    > -rw-r--r-- permissions on the .rhosts file
    >
    > I didn't see how having additional read permissions would cause the
    > password prompt but based on my readings and having tried a bunch of
    > other stuff and backed it out again when it didn't work I thought i
    > would give this a go on both boxes:
    >
    > chmod 600 .rhosts
    >
    > -rw------- 1 root sys 45 May 23 16:20 .rhosts
    >
    > All works fine now hope this helps someone else someday. By
    > default .rhosts isnt in the right state to do the seamless rlogin and
    > rcmd and you need to do the chmod 600 on it if you want it to not
    > prompt you for a password.

    By default .rhosts doesn't exist at all.
    By default your umask is 022 so that when you create files their default
    perms are 644, which is fine for most things.
    So when you created .rhosts it came out 644.
    ..rhosts is simply not a default case, and needs special perms as do several
    other things.
    All of which is explained in the man page so it's neither broken nor a
    mystery.