SCO-UNIX ver.5 How do I add gatweay or routers IP address? - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO-UNIX ver.5 How do I add gatweay or routers IP address? - SCO ; In my previous message I gave the wrong version of SCO OpenServer Release 5 .. I have recently taken over administration of a box running SCO-UNIX OpenServer Release 5 We have moved the box to a new location and I ...

  1. SCO-UNIX ver.5 How do I add gatweay or routers IP address?

    In my previous message I gave the wrong version of SCO OpenServer Release 5
    ..

    I have recently taken over administration of a box running SCO-UNIX
    OpenServer Release 5 We have moved the box to a new location and I need
    assistance in setting up
    the NIC in the box. I have successfully given the NIC in the box an IP
    address of 192.168.150.3 subnet of 255.255.255.0. The box responds to my
    pings. The problem is I do not know how to set up the box's gateway with IP
    address of our router so I can access outside of our network. The routers
    IP address is 192.168.150.1 subnet 255.255.255.0.

    Can some assist me with either the command or file that I need to vi edit so
    I can set up our SCO-UNIX box with the IP address of our router?

    Or how to add the route 192.168.150.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 to the routing
    table so our box can see and be seen outside of our local network.

    I am new to this, please pardon any lack of knowledge on my part.

    Thank you,

    Ron

  2. Re: SCO-UNIX ver.5 How do I add gatweay or routers IP address?

    On Sun, May 20, 2007, Ron wrote:
    >In my previous message I gave the wrong version of SCO OpenServer Release 5
    >.
    >
    >I have recently taken over administration of a box running SCO-UNIX
    >OpenServer Release 5 We have moved the box to a new location and I need
    >assistance in setting up
    >the NIC in the box. I have successfully given the NIC in the box an IP
    >address of 192.168.150.3 subnet of 255.255.255.0. The box responds to my
    >pings. The problem is I do not know how to set up the box's gateway with IP
    >address of our router so I can access outside of our network. The routers
    >IP address is 192.168.150.1 subnet 255.255.255.0.
    >
    >Can some assist me with either the command or file that I need to vi edit so
    >I can set up our SCO-UNIX box with the IP address of our router?
    >
    >Or how to add the route 192.168.150.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 to the routing
    >table so our box can see and be seen outside of our local network.

    I use the /etc/default/tcp file which is sourced by the /etc/tcp script.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

    ``The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of
    one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that
    oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the
    beginning if it is to be stopped at all.'' -- H. L. Mencken

  3. Re: SCO-UNIX ver.5 How do I add gatweay or routers IP address?

    On May 20, 1:16 pm, Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Sun, May 20, 2007, Ron wrote:
    > >In my previous message I gave the wrong version of SCO OpenServer Release 5
    > >.

    > >I have recently taken over administration of a box running SCO-UNIX
    > >OpenServer Release 5 We have moved the box to a new location and I need
    > >assistance in setting up
    > >the NIC in the box. I have successfully given the NIC in the box an IP
    > >address of 192.168.150.3 subnet of 255.255.255.0. The box responds to my
    > >pings. The problem is I do not know how to set up the box's gateway with IP
    > >address of our router so I can access outside of our network. The routers
    > >IP address is 192.168.150.1 subnet 255.255.255.0.

    > >Can some assist me with either the command or file that I need to vi edit so
    > >I can set up our SCO-UNIX box with the IP address of our router?

    > >Or how to add the route 192.168.150.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 to the routing
    > >table so our box can see and be seen outside of our local network.

    > I use the /etc/default/tcp file which is sourced by the /etc/tcp script.
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > INTERNET: b...@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    > URL:http://www.celestial.com/ PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    > FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
    >
    > ``The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of
    > one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that
    > oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the
    > beginning if it is to be stopped at all.'' -- H. L. Mencken

    It depends on which OpenServer 5 release. In 5.0.6 and later you can
    just define GATEWAY in /etc/default/tcp. For earlier versions you can
    do as Bill suggests and include a command to set the route in /etc/
    default/tcp. Others modify /etc/tcp, which is linked to startup
    scripts in /etc/rc2.d.

    I assume that Ron knows that 192.168 is an unroutable Class C address
    and that his "gateway" must be a NAT device. If the NAT isn't set
    correctly you could as he describes ping the box from the subnet but
    not beyond.

    --RLR

+ Reply to Thread