VPN SCO unixware 7.1.3 or 7.1.4 - SCO

This is a discussion on VPN SCO unixware 7.1.3 or 7.1.4 - SCO ; Can anyone point me in the right direction as to setting up a vpn on unixware. Would like to use a basic linksys type router with vpn .. any help or direction would be appreciated...

  1. VPN SCO unixware 7.1.3 or 7.1.4

    Can anyone point me in the right direction as to setting up a vpn on
    unixware. Would like to use a basic linksys type router with vpn ..
    any help or direction would be appreciated

  2. Re: VPN SCO unixware 7.1.3 or 7.1.4

    "crayzeetrayn" wrote in message
    news:1179533916.151937.241120@h2g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction as to setting up a vpn on
    > unixware. Would like to use a basic linksys type router with vpn ..
    > any help or direction would be appreciated

    The linksys worked fine for me. Have you read the accompanying help info in
    the linksys?
    The only caution that I can give you is use different subnets on each end.
    Ask specific questions here....

    Ron

  3. Re: VPN SCO unixware 7.1.3 or 7.1.4

    On May 19, 12:46 pm, "Ronald Marchand" wrote:
    > "crayzeetrayn" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1179533916.151937.241120@h2g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    >
    > > Can anyone point me in the right direction as to setting up a vpn on
    > > unixware. Would like to use a basic linksys type router with vpn ..
    > > any help or direction would be appreciated

    > The linksys worked fine for me. Have you read the accompanying help info in
    > the linksys?
    > The only caution that I can give you is use different subnets on each end.
    > Ask specific questions here....
    >
    > Ron

    What linksys router did you use?

  4. Re: VPN SCO unixware 7.1.3 or 7.1.4

    "crayzeetrayn" wrote in message
    news:1179692098.876857.66740@x35g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
    > On May 19, 12:46 pm, "Ronald Marchand" wrote:
    >> "crayzeetrayn" wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:1179533916.151937.241120@h2g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    >>
    >> > Can anyone point me in the right direction as to setting up a vpn on
    >> > unixware. Would like to use a basic linksys type router with vpn ..
    >> > any help or direction would be appreciated

    >> The linksys worked fine for me. Have you read the accompanying help info
    >> in
    >> the linksys?
    >> The only caution that I can give you is use different subnets on each
    >> end.
    >> Ask specific questions here....
    >>
    >> Ron

    > What linksys router did you use?

    I used BEFSX41's on both ends with fixed addresses. Did set up one with only
    one fixed address.

    Ron

  5. Re: VPN SCO unixware 7.1.3 or 7.1.4

    On May 20, 7:07 pm, "Ronald Marchand" wrote:
    > "crayzeetrayn" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1179692098.876857.66740@x35g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
    >

    > > On May 19, 12:46 pm, "Ronald Marchand" wrote:
    > >> "crayzeetrayn" wrote in message

    > >>news:1179533916.151937.241120@h2g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...

    > >> The linksys worked fine for me. Have you read the accompanying help info
    > >> in
    > >> the linksys?
    > >> The only caution that I can give you is use different subnets on each
    > >> end.
    > >> Ask specific questions here....

    > >> Ron

    > > What linksys router did you use?

    > I used BEFSX41's on both ends with fixed addresses. Did set up one with only
    > one fixed address.
    >
    > Ron

    Help me with this here .. What I want do do is setup the vpn so that I
    may access the
    unixware box remotely, update programs, data, etc. Can the vpn and
    unixware be set
    to provide a "login" at the unixware end as if I was a terminal
    connected internally?

  6. Re: VPN SCO unixware 7.1.3 or 7.1.4

    On Mon, May 21, 2007, crayzeetrayn wrote:
    >On May 20, 7:07 pm, "Ronald Marchand" wrote:
    >> "crayzeetrayn" wrote in message

    >> I used BEFSX41's on both ends with fixed addresses. Did set up one with only
    >> one fixed address.

    We've used many LinkSys BEFP41s as well.

    >Help me with this here .. What I want do do is setup the vpn so that I may
    >access the unixware box remotely, update programs, data, etc. Can the vpn
    >and unixware be set to provide a "login" at the unixware end as if I was a
    >terminal connected internally?

    That's what rational VPN boxes do (I don't know what things like PPTP do).

    Assuming that the VPN box is the router/default gateway for the sites
    involved, all that's necessary is to identify the IP address of the
    UnixWare box at the remote clients so they request connections to that box.

    It's a bit more complicated in a case such as we have here where our main
    connection is via a T1, connected to a Linux box, and the VPN box is not
    the primary default route. In this case, we have some static routes for
    external VPN connections on the box that handles NAT for our internal
    network so that it knows to route private VPN connections through the
    appropriate box without doing NAT instead of sending it to the box with the
    T1. In our case this is a bit more complicated as some of our VPN
    connections go through a LinkSys, and others through a Linux box using
    IPSec.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software, LLC

    Democracy must be sometihng more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what
    to have for dinner -- James Bovard

  7. Re: VPN SCO unixware 7.1.3 or 7.1.4

    > On May 20, 7:07 pm, "Ronald Marchand" wrote:
    >> "crayzeetrayn" wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:1179692098.876857.66740@x35g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...

    >> > What linksys router did you use?

    >> I used BEFSX41's on both ends with fixed addresses. Did set up one with
    >> only
    >> one fixed address.
    >>
    >> Ron

    > Help me with this here .. What I want do do is setup the vpn so that I
    > may access the
    > unixware box remotely, update programs, data, etc. Can the vpn and
    > unixware be set
    > to provide a "login" at the unixware end as if I was a terminal
    > connected internally?

    You should have said that, what you really wanted, then.

    There are several different ways of implimenting a vpn, each with different
    features and limitations or problems, and you have to know what the job is
    that needs doing before anyone can say how to do it. Asking how to set up a
    vpn is like asking how to set up a network.

    In this case, now that we know what you really want, you don't need or want
    _any_ vpn for that.
    You just want to enable ssh on the unixware box and set up very trivial
    routing so the uixware box can be reached from the internet via ssh.
    Thats both far simpler to set up, and far more reliable to keep working
    without lots of attention, than any form of vpn.

    I'm more familiar with OpenServer than Unixware so I can't say in exact
    detail how to enable ssh on Unixware.
    On your version it might already be installed, or might need to be
    installed. I do know if it needs to be installed there is a package that
    makes it simple.
    I could google it and tell you in less time than it's taking to write this,
    but that means so can you.

    1) Tell the unixware box the correct default gateway and dns servers for
    your lan (just like you have to tell pc's if you werent using dhcp for
    them.)
    I don't know where the default gateway is defined in unixware but now you
    can just google that easy. The dns is defined in /etc/resolv.conf

    2) Tell your router (at the unixware box site) to forward tcp port 22 in to
    the unixware box's lan ip.

    3) [ assuming the site does not have a static public ip ] Create a
    dyndns.org account and hostname for this site and configure the account
    details into the DDNS page in the router.

    4) Install and/or enable ssh onthe unixware box.
    I don't know if that particular version of unixware ships with ssh and all
    you need to do is enable it, or if you have to find a package and install
    it, but either way I know it's simple to google it. You just needed to know
    that thats what you want.

    5) Install PuTTY and FileZilla on your pc at home (or anywhere) and use them
    to connect to the dyndns.org hostname you created, or static ip or hostname
    if they have that.
    Putty provides a terminal emulator (and file transfer but command line like
    dos ftp)
    FileZilla provides gui file transfer.

    Details of exactly how to use putty and filezilla or any other terminal
    emulator or file transfer util, and/or recommendations what other terminal
    emulators might better meet your needs (since putty is merely a good free
    one, but lacks important features several commercial ones have) are really a
    whole conversation of their own and beyond the scope of this post.

    Atually you could have remote terminal and file access right now via telnet
    and ftp, as they are basic parts of the system that are already installed
    and enabled from the first minute, but that wouldn't be as secure as a vpn.
    ssh on the other hand is secure like a vpn, and requires only plain old
    basic routing and no special client-side router or network address space
    setup.
    You would still use the same putty and filezilla on the pc whether you used
    telnet & ftp or ssh.
    There are even java terminal emulators and file upload/download cgi's that
    would allow you to have remote access from any client pc purely via web
    browser from anywhere including random pc's you have no control over like
    internet cafe's and kiosks if you wanted.

  8. Re: VPN SCO unixware 7.1.3 or 7.1.4

    Hi,

    crayzeetrayn schrieb:
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction as to setting up a vpn on
    > unixware. Would like to use a basic linksys type router with vpn ..
    > any help or direction would be appreciated

    You can do VPN without Linksys using IPsec on UnixWare (UnixWare 7.1.4
    or UnixWare 7.1.3 with Update Pack 4).
    Some links:

    Tunneling via OpenSSH should also be possible for some situations.

    Andreas

  9. Re: VPN SCO unixware 7.1.3 or 7.1.4

    I have been trying to get this working (finally go the ok). I am
    following the guidelines from the following links

    But when I try to invoke the ipseckey -f /etc/inet/ipsec.conf
    command .. it just sits there and hangs .. any ideas?

    Thanks
    Jay

  10. Re: VPN SCO unixware 7.1.3 or 7.1.4

    k got past that previous problem .. now i get this when starting
    racoon
    err.c: failed to parse configuration file.

    Help
    Thanks
    Jay

+ Reply to Thread