Re: installing osvr 5 on a Compaq Evo - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: installing osvr 5 on a Compaq Evo - SCO ; SCO OSVR Release 5.0.2 "XTREV" wrote in message news:... > Does anyone know how to make the boot floppies for an IDE CD-ROM in order to > install SCO Openserver 5 into a Compaq Evo Pentium 4 1900 MHz, 521 ...

  1. Re: installing osvr 5 on a Compaq Evo

    SCO OSVR Release 5.0.2
    "XTREV" wrote in message news:...
    > Does anyone know how to make the boot floppies for an IDE CD-ROM in order

    > install SCO Openserver 5 into a Compaq Evo Pentium 4 1900 MHz, 521 MB RAM
    >
    > I have tried to make the BTLD from the CD but it does not boot from the
    > floppy.
    >
    > I had the UNIX on a Compaq Prosignia but I am running out of disk space.

    > only have the CD that came with the Prosignia along with the installation
    > keys.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > NT

  2. Re: installing osvr 5 on a Compaq Evo

    On May 16, 2:39 pm, "XTREV" wrote:
    > SCO OSVR Release 5.0.2
    >

    > "XTREV" wrote in message news:...
    > > Does anyone know how to make the boot floppies for an IDE CD-ROM in order

    > > install SCO Openserver 5 into a Compaq Evo Pentium 4 1900 MHz, 521 MB RAM

    > > I have tried to make the BTLD from the CD but it does not boot from the
    > > floppy.

    > > I had the UNIX on a Compaq Prosignia but I am running out of disk space.

    > > only have the CD that came with the Prosignia along with the installation
    > > keys.

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > > NT- Hide quoted text -

    I may have a boot disk for 5.0.2, let me dig around if I find it I
    will make a copy and mail it to you, please stand by for another day.

    Abid

  3. Re: installing osvr 5 on a Compaq Evo

    wrote in message
    news:1179407333.837796.114050@h2g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    > On May 16, 2:39 pm, "XTREV" wrote:
    > > SCO OSVR Release 5.0.2
    > >

    > > "XTREV" wrote in message news:...
    > > > Does anyone know how to make the boot floppies for an IDE CD-ROM in

    order
    > > > install SCO Openserver 5 into a Compaq Evo Pentium 4 1900 MHz, 521 MB

    RAM

    > > > I have tried to make the BTLD from the CD but it does not boot from

    the
    > > > floppy.

    > > > I had the UNIX on a Compaq Prosignia but I am running out of disk

    space.
    > > > only have the CD that came with the Prosignia along with the

    installation
    > > > keys.

    > > > Thanks in advance.

    > > > NT- Hide quoted text -

    > I may have a boot disk for 5.0.2, let me dig around if I find it I
    > will make a copy and mail it to you, please stand by for another day.
    >
    > Abid

    FOLLOW UP......
    Ok, I was able to get some instructions on the web regarding this subject.

    I made a boot disk from the original CD.

    I changed the hard drive (80 GB) to the 2nd controller as master, I changed
    the CD drive to the 1st controller as a master.

    I booted up with the floppy. Selected SCSI CD to install OS, wd, 0,0,0,0.
    Prompted me again to select the install source and selected the same and
    recognized the CD drive.

    However I got only to the fdisk menu, created the partition and activated
    the partition. That is as far as I went. I could not exit the fdisk menu
    by pressing "q". I never was able to exit the fdisk menu no matter how many
    times I pressed "q". I could not generate the filesystems.

    I am running this on a Compaq EVO D500. I did notice a prompt when I
    changed the CD drive and Hard Drive to masters to go to setup utilities if
    installing UNIX. However, there were no instructions about UNIX within the
    setup utilities.

  4. Re: installing osvr 5 on a Compaq Evo

    On May 18, 8:44 am, "XTREV" wrote:
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1179407333.837796.114050@h2g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    >

    > > On May 16, 2:39 pm, "XTREV" wrote:
    > > > SCO OSVR Release 5.0.2

    > order

    > RAM

    > the

    > space.

    > installation

    > > I may have a boot disk for 5.0.2, let me dig around if I find it I
    > > will make a copy and mail it to you, please stand by for another day.

    > > Abid

    > FOLLOW UP......
    > Ok, I was able to get some instructions on the web regarding this subject.
    >
    > I made a boot disk from the original CD.
    >
    > I changed the hard drive (80 GB) to the 2nd controller as master, I changed
    > the CD drive to the 1st controller as a master.
    >
    > I booted up with the floppy. Selected SCSI CD to install OS, wd, 0,0,0,0.
    > Prompted me again to select the install source and selected the same and
    > recognized the CD drive.
    >
    > However I got only to the fdisk menu, created the partition and activated
    > the partition. That is as far as I went. I could not exit the fdisk menu
    > by pressing "q". I never was able to exit the fdisk menu no matter how many
    > times I pressed "q". I could not generate the filesystems.
    >
    > I am running this on a Compaq EVO D500. I did notice a prompt when I
    > changed the CD drive and Hard Drive to masters to go to setup utilities if
    > installing UNIX. However, there were no instructions about UNIX within the
    > setup utilities.- Hide quoted text -

    I think you need to put hard disk on the first controller as master
    and put CD drive as salve on first controller (nothing on second
    controller), jumper setting as Hard disk set for master (with slave
    present) and CD-ROM as slave off the first controller (don't use CS
    cable select), If I remember correctly you need to set the hard disk
    as user define (1024 cyl,16 hd, 63 sec) in the Compaq BIOS utility,
    now boot from floppy and change the drive specs with in fdisk, I maybe
    missing a step here since I have not done this in a while.

    Abid

  5. Re: installing osvr 5 on a Compaq Evo

    wrote in message
    news:1179527430.767588.62480@q75g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...
    > On May 18, 8:44 am, "XTREV" wrote:
    > > wrote in message
    > >
    > > news:1179407333.837796.114050@h2g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...

    in
    > > order

    MB
    > > RAM

    from
    > > the

    > > space.

    > > installation

    > > > I may have a boot disk for 5.0.2, let me dig around if I find it I
    > > > will make a copy and mail it to you, please stand by for another day.

    > > > Abid

    > > FOLLOW UP......
    > > Ok, I was able to get some instructions on the web regarding this

    subject.

    > > I made a boot disk from the original CD.
    > >
    > > I changed the hard drive (80 GB) to the 2nd controller as master, I

    changed
    > > the CD drive to the 1st controller as a master.
    > >
    > > I booted up with the floppy. Selected SCSI CD to install OS, wd,

    0,0,0,0.
    > > Prompted me again to select the install source and selected the same and
    > > recognized the CD drive.
    > >
    > > However I got only to the fdisk menu, created the partition and

    activated
    > > the partition. That is as far as I went. I could not exit the fdisk

    menu
    > > by pressing "q". I never was able to exit the fdisk menu no matter how

    many
    > > times I pressed "q". I could not generate the filesystems.
    > >
    > > I am running this on a Compaq EVO D500. I did notice a prompt when I
    > > changed the CD drive and Hard Drive to masters to go to setup utilities

    if
    > > installing UNIX. However, there were no instructions about UNIX within

    the
    > > setup utilities.- Hide quoted text -

    > I think you need to put hard disk on the first controller as master
    > and put CD drive as salve on first controller (nothing on second
    > controller), jumper setting as Hard disk set for master (with slave
    > present) and CD-ROM as slave off the first controller (don't use CS
    > cable select), If I remember correctly you need to set the hard disk
    > as user define (1024 cyl,16 hd, 63 sec) in the Compaq BIOS utility,
    > now boot from floppy and change the drive specs with in fdisk, I maybe
    > missing a step here since I have not done this in a while.
    >
    > Abid

    Thanks for the tip. This Compaq BIOS utility does not allow 1024 cyl, so I
    disabled the translation mode.

    I changed the parameters you gave me (1024,16,63) at the time it prompted me
    in the OS and that installed the OS.

  6. Re: installing osvr 5 on a Compaq Evo

    On May 21, 12:54 pm, "XTREV" wrote:
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1179527430.767588.62480@q75g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...
    >

    > > On May 18, 8:44 am, "XTREV" wrote:
    > > > wrote in message

    > > >news:1179407333.837796.114050@h2g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...

    > in
    > > > order

    > MB
    > > > RAM

    > from
    > > > the

    > > > space.
    > > > installation

    > > > FOLLOW UP......
    > > > Ok, I was able to get some instructions on the web regarding this

    > subject.
    >
    > > > I made a boot disk from the original CD.

    > > > I changed the hard drive (80 GB) to the 2nd controller as master, I

    > changed
    > > > the CD drive to the 1st controller as a master.

    > > > I booted up with the floppy. Selected SCSI CD to install OS, wd,

    > 0,0,0,0.
    > > > Prompted me again to select the install source and selected the same and
    > > > recognized the CD drive.

    > > > However I got only to the fdisk menu, created the partition and

    > activated
    > > > the partition. That is as far as I went. I could not exit the fdisk

    > menu
    > > > by pressing "q". I never was able to exit the fdisk menu no matter how

    > many
    > > > times I pressed "q". I could not generate the filesystems.

    > > > I am running this on a Compaq EVO D500. I did notice a prompt when I
    > > > changed the CD drive and Hard Drive to masters to go to setup utilities

    > if
    > > > installing UNIX. However, there were no instructions about UNIX within

    > the
    > > > setup utilities.- Hide quoted text -

    > > I think you need to put hard disk on the first controller as master
    > > and put CD drive as salve on first controller (nothing on second
    > > controller), jumper setting as Hard disk set for master (with slave
    > > present) and CD-ROM as slave off the first controller (don't use CS
    > > cable select), If I remember correctly you need to set the hard disk
    > > as user define (1024 cyl,16 hd, 63 sec) in the Compaq BIOS utility,
    > > now boot from floppy and change the drive specs with in fdisk, I maybe
    > > missing a step here since I have not done this in a while.

    > > Abid

    > Thanks for the tip. This Compaq BIOS utility does not allow 1024 cyl, so I
    > disabled the translation mode.
    >
    > I changed the parameters you gave me (1024,16,63) at the time it prompted me
    > in the OS and that installed the OS.- Hide quoted text -

    That's great, but did you change it again in fdisk to get the full
    hard disk capacity, if not you will be limited to 512MB or something.

    Abid

+ Reply to Thread