Adding Samsung ML-1710 printer via scoadmin - SCO

This is a discussion on Adding Samsung ML-1710 printer via scoadmin - SCO ; I have been around Unix for a long time but have very little experience with SCO Unix -- specifically, SCO OpenServer Release 5 system. I have no trouble adding a printer to this system...as long as it is an HP ...

  1. Adding Samsung ML-1710 printer via scoadmin

    I have been around Unix for a long time but have very little
    experience with SCO Unix -- specifically, SCO OpenServer Release 5
    system. I have no trouble adding a printer to this system...as long as
    it is an HP LaserJet...and not too new. I add a hostname in the /etc/
    hosts file that points to the printer's IP address, run scoadmin and
    add a printer to the spooler via "Network Printer Conifguration".

    The choices for model of printer are pretty limited:

    1640
    5310
    DECColormatePS
    DEClaser1150
    DEClaser2150
    DEClaser2250
    DEClaser3250
    HPDeskJet500
    HPDeskJetPlus
    HPLaserJet
    crnlmap
    dqp10
    dumb
    emulator
    epson
    f450
    hp
    lqp40
    network
    network.ps
    ph.daps
    postscript
    pprx
    proprinter
    prx
    qume1155
    standard
    ti800
    visionfs

    I have a Samsung ML-1710 (or ML-1740) that I'd like to connect to this
    system (va a HP JetDirect 175x print server). When I plug the tired
    old HP LaserJet 1200 into the print server, it works fine. When I plug
    the Samsung in to the print server without changing anything for the
    print queue I just created for the HP LaserJet 1200 -- hoping the
    Samsung would emulate an HP and I get nothing. I've tried a few of the
    different "models" (see list above) but still I get nothing.

    So, I'm looking for a suggestion on how to get other than an old
    LaserJet to work when connected to this system.

    Don Ramm
    donramm2@cox.net

  2. Re: Adding Samsung ML-1710 printer via scoadmin

    On May 15, 2:04 pm, Jet wrote:
    > I have been around Unix for a long time but have very little
    > experience with SCO Unix -- specifically, SCO OpenServer Release 5
    > system. I have no trouble adding a printer to this system...as long as
    > it is an HP LaserJet...and not too new. I add a hostname in the /etc/
    > hosts file that points to the printer's IP address, run scoadmin and
    > add a printer to the spooler via "Network Printer Conifguration".
    >
    > The choices for model of printer are pretty limited:
    >
    > 1640
    > 5310
    > DECColormatePS
    > DEClaser1150
    > DEClaser2150
    > DEClaser2250
    > DEClaser3250
    > HPDeskJet500
    > HPDeskJetPlus
    > HPLaserJet
    > crnlmap
    > dqp10
    > dumb
    > emulator
    > epson
    > f450
    > hp
    > lqp40
    > network
    > network.ps
    > ph.daps
    > postscript
    > pprx
    > proprinter
    > prx
    > qume1155
    > standard
    > ti800
    > visionfs
    >
    > I have a Samsung ML-1710 (or ML-1740) that I'd like to connect to this
    > system (va a HP JetDirect 175x print server). When I plug the tired
    > old HP LaserJet 1200 into the print server, it works fine. When I plug
    > the Samsung in to the print server without changing anything for the
    > print queue I just created for the HP LaserJet 1200 -- hoping the
    > Samsung would emulate an HP and I get nothing. I've tried a few of the
    > different "models" (see list above) but still I get nothing.
    >
    > So, I'm looking for a suggestion on how to get other than an old
    > LaserJet to work when connected to this system.
    >
    > Don Ramm
    > donra...@cox.net

  3. Re: Adding Samsung ML-1710 printer via scoadmin

    On May 15, 2:04 pm, Jet wrote:
    > I have been around Unix for a long time but have very little
    > experience with SCO Unix -- specifically, SCO OpenServer Release 5
    > system. I have no trouble adding a printer to this system...as long as
    > it is an HP LaserJet...and not too new. I add a hostname in the /etc/
    > hosts file that points to the printer's IP address, run scoadmin and
    > add a printer to the spooler via "Network Printer Conifguration".
    >
    > The choices for model of printer are pretty limited:
    >
    > 1640
    > 5310
    > DECColormatePS
    > DEClaser1150
    > DEClaser2150
    > DEClaser2250
    > DEClaser3250
    > HPDeskJet500
    > HPDeskJetPlus
    > HPLaserJet
    > crnlmap
    > dqp10
    > dumb
    > emulator
    > epson
    > f450
    > hp
    > lqp40
    > network
    > network.ps
    > ph.daps
    > postscript
    > pprx
    > proprinter
    > prx
    > qume1155
    > standard
    > ti800
    > visionfs
    >
    > I have a Samsung ML-1710 (or ML-1740) that I'd like to connect to this
    > system (va a HP JetDirect 175x print server). When I plug the tired
    > old HP LaserJet 1200 into the print server, it works fine. When I plug
    > the Samsung in to the print server without changing anything for the
    > print queue I just created for the HP LaserJet 1200 -- hoping the
    > Samsung would emulate an HP and I get nothing. I've tried a few of the
    > different "models" (see list above) but still I get nothing.
    >
    > So, I'm looking for a suggestion on how to get other than an old
    > LaserJet to work when connected to this system.
    >
    > Don Ramm
    > donra...@cox.net

    Hello Don,

    According to the spec, this printer is not a PCL printer, but a GDI
    printer,
    ie, Winprinter. Probably best to give up now.

    But the same spec sheet claims it works with Linux, presumably via
    cups.
    So, if you can get cups up on SCO 507, you might have a chance.

    Good luck,
    Dan Martin

  4. Re: Adding Samsung ML-1710 printer via scoadmin

    Dan, thanks very much for the reply. I went to Samsung's website,
    looked up the ML-1710, and see that it lists "GDI" next to "Printer
    Language". I never paid any attention to that...something I will
    clearly have to pay more attention to in the future. I naively assumed
    that all laser printers

    I had a similar problem with an HP LaserJet 1022n recently: Old HP had
    died, customer got the HP 1022n, they called me in to get SCO Unix
    talking to it, and I couldn't do it. (Set up the print queue with
    "scoadmin" utility but when I printed to that queue, the "bits just
    fell on the floor" and the printer did nothing -- the job was in the
    queue for a moment and then gone.) I looked up the 1022n on HP's
    website just now and the PDF version of the specs for the 1022n under
    "Languages and fonts" says "Host-based printing (HP PCL 5e with 26
    built-in and scalable fonts available for download at www.hp.com)". So
    it does support PCL "out of the box". Apparently I did something wrong
    during set up? Is there something else I should look for when trying
    to get a printer to work? Perhaps the 1022n -- which had been set up
    before I got there was shifted to some non-PCL mode by the person who
    originally installed it?

  5. Re: Adding Samsung ML-1710 printer via scoadmin

    On May 19, 12:42 pm, Jet wrote:
    > Dan, thanks very much for the reply. I went to Samsung's website,
    > looked up the ML-1710, and see that it lists "GDI" next to "Printer
    > Language". I never paid any attention to that...something I will
    > clearly have to pay more attention to in the future. I naively assumed
    > that all laser printers
    >
    > I had a similar problem with an HP LaserJet 1022n recently: Old HP had
    > died, customer got the HP 1022n, they called me in to get SCO Unix
    > talking to it, and I couldn't do it. (Set up the print queue with
    > "scoadmin" utility but when I printed to that queue, the "bits just
    > fell on the floor" and the printer did nothing -- the job was in the
    > queue for a moment and then gone.) I looked up the 1022n on HP's
    > website just now and the PDF version of the specs for the 1022n under
    > "Languages and fonts" says "Host-based printing (HP PCL 5e with 26
    > built-in and scalable fonts available for download atwww.hp.com)".

    I can't find PCL on this page of specs for the 1022n:

    http://tinyurl.com/25trzh

    But I did see this:
    "Host-based printing", which is bad.

    Avoid "Host-base printing", aka GDA, and PPA printers.

    Good luck,
    Dan

    So
    > it does support PCL "out of the box". Apparently I did something wrong
    > during set up? Is there something else I should look for when trying
    > to get a printer to work? Perhaps the 1022n -- which had been set up
    > before I got there was shifted to some non-PCL mode by the person who
    > originally installed it?

+ Reply to Thread